Champions of Europe - Pre-Season Thread 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by dcc134, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    1-1 at halftime. The heat and the poor pitch are making things difficult for both teams. Our passing out of the back is sloppy and uncomfortable and Dortmund has opened up the defense too easily.

I thought Fabinho was our best player. Ox showed flashes of good play. Larouchi continues to impress at left back. Harry Wilson plays good football and makes good decisions with the ball, while Kent tries to go past 3 players and shoot every chance he gets.

2. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    No changes at halftime for Liverpool.

3. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pitch is beyond poor

4. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some poor marking leads to a second goal for Dortmund.

5. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horrible 3rd goal - it’s a rookie mistake by Larouci.

6. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Brewster scores from the penalty spot. 2-3

7. Upper Ninety

Upper Ninety Member

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    That was a bit of a mess, but things tidied up definitely when veteran defense came on. I am still waiting to see how Curtis Jones is useful on the pitch. He did a bunch of dancing last year with no real result, and seems really hesitant on attacking the ball the last 2 games I have watched. Clyne was dreadful the first 20 minutes but got some of his shit together later on. AOC looked like he was progressing well and will be a much needed factor for the first team at times. Good thing Brewster has been getting some goals. I'd be concerned otherwise if our leading goal scorer was Milner. Either way good to see this team get support on US grounds. Even though the loudest they were in the game is when they were all doing the Mexican wave.

8. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Full-time. Dortmund win 3-2.

The starters came back out for the 2nd half and looked tired and worn down from the heat. They conceded two soft goals.

After 60 minutes Klopp made 10 changes. For most of the players that came on it was their first appearance of the preseason. Our lack of forwards meant that Brewster was playing with Ben Woodburn and Curtis Jones in the front 3. The lack of pace meant that we offered little threat. Brewster continues his goal scoring streak by stepping up and burying a penalty into the top corner.

It was a bit of strange decision to hold Brewster back. I would have liked to see him in the front line with Origi and Wilson getting 60 minutes. I'm sure Klopp has a plan for him. A lot of the players who started on the bench tonight might get the 60 minutes in Boston on Sunday.

Not a great match tonight, but it's preseason. We lost to Dortmund last summer also. It was hot and it was a terrible pitch.

9. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Klopp is likely far more aware of Brewster than he is of Kent and Wilson who have both spent most of the last two years on loan. Brewster could have played awful in all three games and it would not have changed Klopp's thoughts on him as he's aware of his potential. Kent and Wilson he needs to properly access as if he does not feel one of them can be good enough as a fringe player this season he needs to know ASAP so he can bring in a player to fill that role.

Wilson's off the ball movement was pretty great, lots of intelligent runs that were never really utilized. However he needs to gain weight as he is too easy to be shrugged off the ball. It was a problem in the Championship and it will be a problem in the Prem. With the ball he put in an okay shift for the third game in a row. A solid 7 but is that enough at this stage when he needs to be staking a place in Klopp's head.

I'm actually impressed with Kent. He did really well in Scotland but his main issue is he does not score or assist enough to be considered in a Klopp top 3. However as a sub to run down games he'd be perfect. I was certain he'd be sold this summer, but there is certainly something about his style of play that we could use off the bench.

It was an okay game, some nice play in the 15 minutes after we conceded, the young full back was actually decent in the first half against Sancho but completely fell apart in the second half before he came off.

Milner and Ox were the stand out players but the entire team was let down by the heat this early in the preseason on top of the likely jetlag some will still be suffering from.

Felt bad for Mignolet some nice saves but he's not a keeper who inspires confidence in the players ahead of him. If a reasonable offer came in for him I'd be all for letting him leave and trying to recall are other goalkeeping misfit to fill in as back up.

10. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #185 Red Bird, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    So so match. Quite disjointed for the most parts but Liverpool could have scored another three or four and, probably, conceded a couple more.

A bit difficult to make a proper assessment because of the heat, long hours of travel, although Dortmund must similarly have suffered. One thing that we need to improve on is breaking out from the midfield and beyond the forward line. I was impressed by the likes of Wilson and Kent-- I am huge admirer of the latter.

We'll learn a bit more next match when the players are more acclimatised, although it is more about Klopp casting his eye over the fringe players, working on formations and fitness (improvements) for the rest of the club.

11. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of posters here attended the game - I'd like to see if they agree that the pitch was very narrow and looked awful overall (slow as could be).

12. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Did I see correctly that the attendance was 40K+? Stadium holds about 78K, yes?

13. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seemed way higher than that - but to fair I could see a lot of folks with youngsters deciding to bail in those temps.

14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2019-7-20_13-24-41.jpeg

It was quite packed - probably over 50k easy.

15. Upper Ninety

Upper Ninety Member

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    It's interesting. They seem to be quite contrast in attacker which keeps them behind the likes of actual top tier. I think Wilson has better finish and technical ability. Kent has better speed and ability to get into the box.

16. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Neither really played as a forward last season. Wilson more often than not was in the middle 3 of a 4-3-3 while Rangers deployed more of 4-2-3-1 that often changed into a 4-4-2, Kent being used as a winger but with a fair amount of tracking back in Stevie's system.

17. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    layman's opinion: I think Kent should have scored on the shot that the BVB goalie saved. Kent didn't strike the ball with enuf pace to negate any save by the goalie.

18. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Don't disagree with your pic, but official LFC site and a few others saying 40,361.

Last year in the same neck of the woods, it was 101,254 in Michigan for Man United.

Different time, temperature, opposition etc., no doubt, but that’s quite a difference.

19. Upper Ninety

Upper Ninety Member

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Sure but Wilson put his chance in and also had a great finesse shot that was blocked astoundingly by the keeper. I think both of them bring something to the table off the bench for a 1st team honestly

20. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    10 hour drive each way for a poor match but fun to see Rushie outside [emoji3]

Poor pitch - maybe a little narrow

Much better last 30 minutes

85% Liverpool fans - nice to see VVD, Trent, Robbo, Milner, Gini and Milner - Fabinho was excellent too

Suss, Samarkand, newterp and 1 other person repped this.
  21. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying Kent is hogswallop. I'm saying that somebody needs to tell the lad to put his boot thru it next time.

22. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is so good:

imasyko repped this.
  23. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool team for Boston:

Longeran
    Trent Phillips Virgil Robertson
    Wijnaldum
    Henderson Ox
    Wilson Origi Woodburn​

Subs: Mignolet, Atherton, Fabinho, Lovren, Milner, Gomez, Brewster, Matip, Kent, Lewis, Jones, Hoever, Duncan, Larouci

Surprised there is no start for Brewster. I thought he would maybe get 60 minutes tonight. Also surprised that Phillips is involved when we have Lovren, Matip, and Gomez all on the bench. Someone is going to get left out, or Gomez will play right back leaving out Clyne, or maybe Clyne plays left back. Also suprised that we are starting Longeran. I don't think he is actually a Liverpool player. Still no Lallana.

24. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clyne - knock is out
    Lallana - still hasn't trained from the dead leg
    Matip has been involved since day one of training so they are giving him a bit a rest, same with Fabinho.

25. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It’s still interesting that Klopp thinks Phillips is important enough to start, especially when there have been rumors about Lovren possibly leaving. Lovren only played 30 minutes last match so you would have expected him to start this one.