PBP: Champions League - Round of 16, Second Leg - FC Barcelona v. Paris Saint Germain - 8 March 2017

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Gilmango, Mar 6, 2017.

1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ask him yourself and get the answer directly from the source. [​IMG]

2. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    #352 jcvf90, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    I hate the triplete talk, but man, if Barca get around to it. Messi winning three trebles > anything any other player has ever done.

Also, rewatching parts of the game today and thinking back over the last few weeks, Busi has improved tremendously. That has been one of the biggest turnarounds for Barca. Recovering the ball 15-20 meters further up the field is so crucial. The problem is Barca can't play the suicidal 3-4-3 every match. They'll have to go back to the line of 4. The midfield is just not as dominant anymore. If the MSN dry up a little, like they did last spring, they can't fall back on their control of the game like Barca used to.

I guess that is where I find the most fault with the current board and management and coaching. Moving away from the control. From the Peps, the Koemans, the Xavis. As fun as yesterday was, it wasn't a footballing barage of a comeback, it was an emotionally fueled comeback. Which Barca need, but it's not at the essence of the club.

I guess i'm of the mentality that winning isn't everything. Anywho, cheers to everyone, hopefully Barca get a favorable draw.

inswinger, TitoTata and Gilmango repped this.
  3. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you on hating premature talk of tripletes. Just speaking up to say that while Messi has been our best player on all two (possibly three?) tripletes, we need to also celebrate a handful of other survivors, still w/ Barca and still in our core: Iniesta, Busquets, and Pique (those are the only four - including Messi) but we do not win a single triplete without all four. Here's the squad info that first triplete season: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008–09_FC_Barcelona_season

But yeah, a midfield anchored by Xavi, Ini, and Busi, all in their primes (preternatural prime in Busi's case) may never happen again, add in primie Keita, prime Yaya, Hleb (just joking) for first one; prime Rakitic (not joking), young Rafinha and Roberto for second one; and now perhaps(?) no Xavi, not quite prime Ini, not quite prime Raki, nearly prime but out of position Roberto (at RB), Rafinha (better at RW), Turan (better at LW), plus Denis and Gomes. Yeah, not the same in midfield (though when healthy RBI give us a ton but best to rest R and I the last 20 minutes), but that MSN though.

4. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    IF WE QUALIFY TO THE FINAL... ahem ahem...

Because of the tax cases against them, Neymar and Messi won't be able to play as it is held in Cardiff. Wales won't allow them to come in as their not in the EU anymore...

5. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    As of now we dont have a fullback who can play.So 3-4-3 is here to stay to make best use of rafinha/Roberto.We can go back to a 4-3-3 when we have a proper rightback.

7. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    That was a proper impede,when the ball is flying into the box for suarez his first touch can be a goal,so marquinhos cant interefere even if it is a small arm.

TitoTata repped this.
  8. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    But that was stupid of Masche to talk about it

9. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Thats what most teams do against barca anyway except some.

10. Dooly

Dooly Member

Oct 25, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Maybe the Suarez penalty was a bit "soft", but it is not like Barca is the only one who has received such calls. To hear the imbecile real madrid fans cry about it, considering their history (just look at the way they cheated to last years champions league victory) is truly funny.

jfcule, TitoTata and bronx_bull repped this.
  11. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

That penalty was not soft at all, marquinhos had his hand on Suarez throat in a one on one with keeper when ball was coming down exactly to Suarez feet for an excellent chance and that is enough to ruin the chance and he knew it. Im sure Suarez would have gotten a shot if he wasn't disturbed by that move from marquinhos in his back and throat, also I think there was a touch on the legs too. People are just blinded because Suarez was playacting entire game which was sad to see actually but that was a legit penalty any day in that situation.

jfcule, puyol, TitoTata and 1 other person repped this.
  12. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004

Their tears are the best thing ever,bunch of scum like never seen before even worse than epl fans

13. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    BT Post match analysis. Love Stevie G's reaction!

condor11, unclesox and TitoTata repped this.
  14. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agreed. But I don't think he said much.

If his tackle interfered with Di Maria's shot then it should have been a PK and a yellow/red card but it didn't. Simple really.

Funny that many think the contact on Suarez isn't a PK when Marquinhos clearly tripped Suarez who lost his balance plus used his hands on him. If both players came together and carelessly bumped or crushed into each other, it is not a foul. But, if one player trips the other it is a foul. FIFA rule:

A. Tripping or attempting to trip an opponent (if careless, reckless or using excessive force)
    B. Making contact with an opponent before touching the ball when tackling an opponent to gain possession of the ball.
    C. blatant holding or pulling (including holding clothing, using any part of the body to hold an opponent & "Sandwiching"),

15. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    [QUO TE="celito, post: 35214099, member: 56560"]That Iniesta move was pretty cool. Summarized the commitment to go for every play and every ball. Paid off big time.[/QUOTE]

Ibra did a similarly amazing flick in exactly the same position last night to create the ManU goal .

16. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I really hope to never see a Iniesta / Rakitic / Rafinha midfield EVER again tbh .

I'd keep Iniesta as an impact sub and ship the other two out in the summer . Just an opinion .

17. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014

I frequent quite a few other forums and you wouldn't believe the hassle I've been given since Wednesday evening !!! Apparently we are simply a team full of divers and cheats .... Anyone watch the 'actual' dives last night by the Russian team against ManU !!

Two classics in the last 5 minutes alone !!

They simply kicked everyone and dived relentlessly all through the game and yet NOT a mention today !!

18. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I'm so glad to see positive reactions aimed at us for a change !!

19. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    It was very touching to see so many Barca fans in floods of tears after the final whistle ..

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, Iniesta would then have 4 trebles (Euro-WC-Euro winner) :coffee:

unclesox repped this.
  21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I believe Barca just signed Rakitic to a long-term deal a couple of days ago so that's not happening.

22. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

I know we are all euphoric but can we please not talk about triplette? Only in the quarter final of CL with other massive teams, still points behind LPB in the league so just calm down and let's see what happens aight?

illusion and unclesox repped this.
  23. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007

Seriously??????

24. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This begs the question what came first, the Brexit vote or the awarding of the 2017 UCL final to Cardiff?
    Either way I would think UEFA would work something out if Barca were to reach the final. There must be precedent somewhere in the past.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    #375 BocaFan, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    ummm... they haven't left the EU yet. Its a long process. Maybe in a couple of years.

Gilmango repped this.