Champions League Round of 16: Inter vs Marseille

Discussion in 'Inter Milan' started by Samora, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both are big clubs in their respective leagues, both have quality in their squad, yet both are having a below par season and struggling to get back on top. The Ligue 1 2010 champion was struggling greatly, sitting within relegation zone and fighting to stay off it. Likewise we too had a less than stellar start and have struggled all over the pitch. Both clubs have slowly gained some points back, OM are currently in 8th 11 points behind 1st.
    Inter are 7th with 10 points behind.
    The draw couldn't have picked two more similar clubs than these two, which makes the run up to February an interesting one with seeing who will be in form by then.

Both team managers are relinquishing these draw, Ranieri especially
    "It will be a great match between Inter and Marseille and between myself and Deschamps: he knocked me out in 2004 when he was at Monaco and I was at Chelsea."

until Frebruary

2. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    game is this wednesday, both teams still performing below their means though OM has climbed up a bit since the draw
    with the 3-0 slap from bologna I hope the team can turn it up for this game, we'll probably still see ranieri at the helm for this game since it would be drastic to change personnel with this game very near

3. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    squad for Wednesday's game

Goalkeepers: 1 Julio Cesar, 12 Luca Castellazzi, 21 Paolo Orlandoni;

Defenders: 4 Javier Zanetti, 6 Lucio, 13 Maicon, 23 Andrea Ranocchia, 25 Walter Samuel, 26 Cristian Chivu, 37 Davide Faraoni, 55 Yuto Nagatomo.

Midfielders: 5 Dejan Stankovic, 10 Wesley Sneijder, 17 Angelo Palombo, 18 Andrea Poli, 19 Esteban Cambiasso, 20 Joel Obi, 48 Lorenzo Crisetig;

Forwards: 7 Giampaolo Pazzini, 9 Diego Forlan, 22 Diego Milito, 28 Mauro Zarate.
    petty much a full squad with samuel, milito and dejan returning from injury/fever

4. Lurtz

Lurtz Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Forza Inter! Let's get a scoring draw at least...

5. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually want the team to really push and win since our home record(both in league and CL) is not something to brag about, a 1-1 draw would be fine

6. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    line ups

Olympique Marseille: 30 Mandanda; 2 Azpilicueta, 21 Diawara, 3 N'Koulou, 15 Morel; 4 Diarra, 7 Cheyrou; 18 Amalfitano, 28 Valbuena, 20 A.Ayew; 9 Brandao.
    Subs: 1 Bracigliano, 10 Gignac, 12 Kaboré, 13 Traoré, 23 J.Ayew, 24 Fanni, 26 Sabo.
    Coach: Didier Deschamps.

Inter: 1 Julio Cesar; 13 Maicon, 6 Lucio, 25 Samuel, 26 Chivu; 4 Zanetti, 5 Stankovic, 19 Cambiasso; 10 Sneijder; 9 Forlan, 28 Zarate.
    Subs: 12 Castellazzi, 23 Ranocchia, 55 Nagatomo, 18 Poli, 20 Obi, 7 Pazzini, 22 Milito.
    Coach: Claudio Ranieri.

I honestly didn't see zarate and forlan starting, don't know why nagatomo is not starting
    it looks like a 4-3-1-2 unless Ranieri uses sneijder on the left in a 4-4-2
    sadly I'll miss most of the game

7. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    watched from minute 25, zarate, stankovic under performing
    forlan has been doing well here and there, sneijder has been quiet, cambiasso having a fantastic game as well as pupi
    the defense: Lucio was a rock besides that one blimp, samuel has done ok though sloppy with the fouling, maicon doing ok needs to get more involved in the attack, I would still switch out chivu for nagatomo

8. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0-1 for OM in the last minute, not what I wanted but its not disastorous since half of our players played decently
    after a while in the second half I felt like we weren't going to score, sure we had some crosses here and there but it never felt like we were going for the win
    zarate needed to be subbed out but I thought ranieri would go for Milito instead of obi who doesn't add anything to the attack and is more of a covering defensive player
    don't know why stankovic played the whole game when we had poli available

hoping to bounce back vs a striving Napoli on sunday

9. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Terrible loss for you guys. I thought Inter played quite well, they didn't give up any quality scoring chances until injury time. The goal was well executed but the problem was letting the Marseille player have a clean shot on goal to force the game winning corner.

Thought Forlan played well, still not sure why Zarate was playing, being Lazio fan he's very frustrating and not the type of player you want in a big spot like this.

It isn't over yet hopefully you guys can score some goals from now until the 2nd leg to boost some confidence.

10. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah a draw would have been a more telling score, half of our players that usually start played better compared to league so it wasn't a terrible performance
    chivu was at fault for the goal...

I think Ranieri tried to both surprise OM by using our least used players and save milito and maybe pazzini for the big encounter vs Napoli this sunday
    the only positive thing about zarate was that he made it look like our counters were going to produce something, too bad he sometimes holds the ball too long or tries to hard to dribble

its still do able and yeah hopefully we can start get out of this non scoring runt with some goals leading up to the 2nd game

11. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I defended him a lot last season but this season it seems like every time he plays, he's responsible or partially responsible for a goal the other team scores.

12. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    The loss of Motta is massive. Cambiasso played a good game and was Inter's best player IMO along with Lucio. You're quite right Cambiasso isn't the force he once was and is beginning to fade despite his efforts today.

Inter are beginning to revert to their old ways. They're trying to revive their attack by letting and replacing forwards while neglecting the rest of the squad. The defense and midfield are old and there aren't many suitable young replacements. To me Forlan, Milito, Pazzini, Zarate and Castaignos is more than adequate though none have really played together for any length of time.

As poor as Inter have looked I think their experience can go a long way in the CL and we saw that for most of this game.

13. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the team played decently well compared to our league performances of late

spending will be cut shorter and shorter once the new uefa rules come into play

14. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OM as good as arsenal and chelsea probably not but napoli and milan are not inter and tactically its not the same game

15. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    probably I guess

16. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maicon out for 15-20 days after having a knee injury yesterday, guarin still not looking good with the calf injury and won't be available until bit later than what was thought

17. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ranocchia is also injured but thankfully Juan has started training with the team

18. Napolinfinito

Napolinfinito Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
  19. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    wow shocking defending to let marseille to get an away goal! there seamed to be no real style of play from inter, which is why i pray no italian club gives anymore jobs to people like ranieri and all the other oldies, their brand of football stinks and only care about the result,

20. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don't even know what to say. There's more broken here than can be fixed by firing a manager. Our center backs have killed us all year. Should've seen it coming.

21. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well we won, but we are out
    lucky goal from brandao at the end and even with the late PK vs OM we are knocked out thanks to their away goal

1st half both teams played better than the 1st leg with us having 2 unbelievable chances, had we scored on either of them this would have been a different ending
    Ranieri took out sneijder in the second half to go into a 4-4-2, we scored and were getting close to scoring and alas the goal came thanks to a maicon corner which bounced all over finally ending on milito's feet and he scored, afterwards it was all us trying to get another but a long ball to brandao which bounced off his back and both samuel and lucio were caught off guard and then bam 1-1
    late pk wasn't enough, a pad on the back for most of our players who I thought were better but it wasn't enough
    good luck to Om in the next round

22. Lurtz

Lurtz Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pathetic defending and goalkeeping by Lucio, Samuel, and Julio Cesar. Unbelievable fail. I will most likely have nightmares about that sad excuse for a CL tie-winning goal.

Ranieri was terrible again. I mean not starting Cambiasso is one thing... but subbing off Sneijder (he had a problem though) AND Forlan BEFORE the 60th minute?? In a game that was likely to go to extra time???

Towards the end of the match Stankovic was cramping up, and any competent manager would not have expected him to play the full 90 (he just came back from injury) nevermind what was looking almost certain to be 120 minutes. Dumbass coach.

23. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a very lucky long ball worked and samuel and lucio did fail in trying clear it
    JC did have some fault since he went to ground to early but he had trust in samuel to knock the ball towards his right when Samuel tried to block the shot with his left leg

this is just a thought of mine since I too find some choices baffling
    on cucho: OM fielded 2 defensive mids which means that sneijder was going to be forced out wide therefore frustrating him and taking him out of the game eventually switching formations which brings me to stankovic

stankovic: one of only 2 real CMs we have the other being Poli and perhaps was started in case deschamps fielded 2 dms making a transition to a 4-4-2 easier once he took sneijder out since it would allow obi to slide for RM making obi-poli-dejan-zanetti in mid work better
    however during the 1st half and part of the second he looked to be much deeper in mid and not sure of whether to attack making this a weak point of ours in addition to him not being the best of cover players defensively
    + he has been starting a lot and was slow to keep up at times

forlan: not surprised here, has started 3 games and looked ok but only had 2 shots and didn't really create good opportunities for the team/combination passing

a coach makes changes based on what is happening/will affect the game/ will be the most useful not already thinking that the team will go into extra time when they haven't yet scored
    hence why he brought on pazzini
    still some of this is strictly my opinion and not what ranieri actually thought and should not be read as excuses