PBP: Champions League - Round of 16, First Leg - Paris Saint Germain v. FC Barcelona - 14 February 2017

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Gilmango, Feb 13, 2017.

1. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Only Gomes,I like Denis and the rest,even paco is fine,But not Gomes.

Forzabarca repped this.
  2. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    That's would be the end of busquets

3. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

And you base this on what?

Also you seem to care more about individual players than the team as a whole. You seem like you want Gomes to play and succeed just because you pity him. Its a nice quality in real life but I don't give a rats arse about a multimillionaire not fitting the team and being forced onto the team playing like crap. Don't worry Gomes will be fine, he won't cry to sleep when shipped out or not played, he's a lucky man just to be in Barca.

puyol repped this.
  4. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    If Busquets can't handle end to end football he won't like life under sampaoli

I don't pity Gomez. Furthermore I doubt barcelona will ditch him after one season so you best buckle up and take more sips of your hatorade

5. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sampaoli is a Bielsaista just like Pep who took some of bielsista's aspect too. Busquets will thrive under Sampaoli because a ball playing DM that circulate the ball and initiate attacks is a classic Bielsa that Pep borrowed.

6. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This play before Cavani's goal. Meunier was running through the empty midfield unchallenged to give that pass to Cavani.

[​IMG]

7. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  8. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    PSG had a Seahawks (vs Denver) moment instead.

9. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

omajac repped this.
  10. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    It's also about quick transitions and being more direct

Unless you surround busquets with runners he will be lost

He will have to cover ground and a lot of people say that with luchos system he simply can't cover that much ground

11. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    #286 condor11, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    What about the 2nd and 3rd goals?

Forget the 4th at 3 0 the "structure" is usually gone

If I recall the 2nd goal comes from a shitty messi give away and a deadly psg counter

Di Marias 2nd goal has Alba leave him to iniesta

When di maria fronted up to alba we had 5 players defending they had 3

A 4th psg player turns up and alba decides to leave di maria and head off to the side...iniesta joins the frame and puts in a feeble challenge..di maria picks his spot and shoots unchallenged...at this point there are 6 barca players around and 4 psg...

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Messi could have easily passed that ball early but chose to hold on to it. Then gave no effort running back when he actually had some time to do so.

Iniesta also looked like he wasn't up for it. Not sure if he is 100%.

condor11 repped this.
  13. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    The feeling i got was that no one was up for it apart from Neymar

Either they were not motivated enough by their coach which is on him or they could not motivate themselves which is on them...I assume the answer lies somewhere in the middle

We have all witnessed messi get the ball back when he has lost it...but we have also all witnessed the messi give up and walk after losing it..the fact he didn't even try at 1 0 tells me he was not in the game

14. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Don't forget the pathetic attempts Shitmes did to block Di Maria's shot. If you look at Shitmes in the build-up of that goal you'll see he's got no clue what to do. He's dazed and confused the poor bastard, he just doesn't fit in. Maybe it's not his fault really.

puyol repped this.
  15. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Gomes should have also done more...however alba aND iniesta should have both done a lot better on that situation

No idea where Sergio was

16. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

He was getting sausages in the stands. Do you understand when the entire team is not performing that its all on the coach? Even more if he can't change things at halftime. I wonder what he said/did in halftime.

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

It was already 3-0 at that time though so Barca had to push the midfielders forward and play open. 4-1 is a better result than just keeping it 3-0.

18. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    When an entire team does not show up then it's all on everyone involved, I don't know how some people can't accept this

Was the coach entirely to blame in Brazils trashing by Germany?

Either way Lucho should have done something to shore up the midfield problem at half time. That does not excuse the feeble performance of the majority of the starters

19. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Worst game by Barca I have seen since the Pep era

Bayern was a combination of bad luck bad refereeing and decimated team.

This was simply bad

Also PSG is a team Barca can score 3 against. 4 too but PSG need to miss chances in order for Barca to escape being scored against.

20. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You are impossible to argue with, as stubborn as your idol Lucho. Not sure if worth my time to post all those photos and tactic analysis to convince you.

For the 3rd goal, Kurzawa makes a run down the left wing and then cuts inside in an empty midfield only chased by Gomes who was coming from the left before finding the feet of Di Maria. The second photo shows where were Busquets and Iniesta coming late to cover the area.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The third and fourth goals just show how clueless Luis Enrique is. He could minimized the damage and focus on fixing the empty holes and organize the defense, the midfield so we can have a shot in the second leg at home. 2 goals down it's quite possible to overcome at Camp Nou.

The fourth goal again for you: Meunier from his half take the ball, go past Neymar, goes through an empty midfield COMPLETELY unopposed by any Barca player, then passed it to Cavani. This midfield structure is not only for this game, the whole season actually but we have been extremely lucky in some games.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Forzabarca repped this.
  21. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Yeah, Brazil was lucky to even have gone that far, they scraped through,Scolari should never have been their coach in the first place. Also they were rocked by the injury on Neymar, as Barca was due to Titos illness.

Lucho has piled up many many mediocre selections and so called tactics. If not for Messis brilliance and some last minute penalties Barca would be even further behind LPB and surely out if CDR. Lucho can't motivate the team anymore, it's a relationship that's not working anymore. It's time to shake hands, thank for the treble and double and move on.

22. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    #297 condor11, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    LOL I'm the stubborn one

Forget the 4th the score was 3 0 as someone already pointed out to you

Go back to the third and tell me with a serious face that alba, iniesta and Gomes could not have done more to stop di maria shooting

Your images fail to show iniestas feeble challenge on the third, alba only left di maria cause he assumed iniesta would do a better job

Stop making excuses for the pathetic performance from our players

No images on the second were messi just gives up on the play? PSG counter with iniesta and alba committed to the attack

But look at where Sergio and umtiti are standing at the time the ball is passed to Drexler who were they marking???

23. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Luchos time was ending after this season even before this game. Barcelona coaches don't do overly long stints

24. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Image fail? Why? because I want to show you the built up to that 3rd goal? to show you the failure in our structure? ok posting a youtube (minute 1:11) just for you to watch why no one could BLOCK Di Maria's shot. Becuase Barcelona is a defensive team now, blocking shots on goal is what we care about nowadays, allowing the opposition to freely roam in the empty midfield is not a priority.

Alba thought Di Maria who was totally unmarked in the midfield with plenty of space (like I showed in the pics that you didn't like) will dribble to the right. Knowing Di Maria was one of the best dribblers, he could easily trick players like Alba. Can post the video how Di Maria tricked and dribbled past players like Puyol and Alves. But yes, let us blame Alba!

Iniesta was coming from behind (like I showed in the pics that you didn't like) has no option but to go for Di Maria's feet and commit a foul (watch the tube). He chose not to commit the foul. Let us blame him for not pulling Ramos or Pepe.

Gomes did what anyone could do in a situation where shot already been made, a jump to block it which he was too late do. Let us blame Gomes for being too slow to react and not having spiderman fast speed jumps.

How this is on the players?! You ignored the build-up to the goal and focused on blocking by midfielders in the defense area it tells everything about the way you want Barcelona to play.
    Sorry, I'm done here and not wasting my time with you. Let us agree to disagree!

25. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    Of course the players are also to be blamed when we loose by such huge margins. But the main problem here is not the players and it is quite evident.

I have seen hardworking players, I have even seen Messi running all the way back to our d-area to tackle this season. I have seen hardworking Neymar and Suarez. I have seen Roberto and Alba giving their all in matches. I have seen Busquets trying to cover the entire midfield while attacking and defending. I have seen Pique, and Umtiti moving beyond the halfway line to give a attacking pass being fully aware of the distance they have to cover in case of loosing the ball. I have seen these things in more than one game.

Yesterday we played one of the biggest team in the world in the best club tournament in the world. Now can you honestly convince yourself that the players did not give their all in this match when they have already done so in less important/glamorous matches?????