Champions League Qualification Playoff

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Jun 1, 2017.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Liverpool's 10 possible Champions League play-off opponents have been confirmed

Viktoria Plzen

They finished second in the Czech league, narrowly beaten by champions Slavia Prague. Plzen have reached the Champions League group stage twice, facing Manchester City twice and losing both games in 2013/14. Last season they were knocked out in the Europa League group stages.

CSKA Moscow

Came second to city rivals Spartak in Russia, their best Champions League showing saw them in the 2010 quarter finals. Last season they were the seeded team in their group, but finished bottom without a win. They even lost to Spurs at Wembley.

Club Brugge

Anderlecht pipped them to the Jupiler League title by two points. Liverpool won the European Cup in 1978 by beating the Belgians in the final 1-0. Brugge have never got out of the group stage in the Champions League era; last season they lost home and away to Leicester City.

Steaua Bucharest

Viitorul Constanti won their first ever Romanian title last season, beating usual front-runners Steaua. They won the 1986 final on penalties after frustrating Barcelona for 120 goalless minutes, and also reached the 1989 showpiece. Last season they were crushed at this stage by Manchester City, 6-0 on aggregate.

Young Boys

The snigger-inducingly named Swiss side were a distant second to Basle, 17 points behind the champions. They have never reached the Champions League group stages.

Nice

Will Super Mario still be on Nice's books when these games are played? Mario Balotelli has rehabilitated his reputation in France after a disastrous spell at Anfield, but is out of contract this summer. Nice were a surprise third in Ligue 1 after a great season, and will compete in the Champions League for the first time.

Istanbul Basaksehir

These minnows have an average crowd of 2,000, but still knocked heavyweights Galatasaray and Fenerbahce well back to come second to Besiktas in Super Lig. Their best known player is Emmanuel Adebayor, who joined in January. No surprises that they, like Nice, are competition debutants.

AEK Athens

The Greek Superleague use a four-team play-off to decide who gets the second Champions League spot behind perennial champions Olympiakos, and it was AEK - fourth in the regular season - who earned the right. They last reached the group stage in 2006 and have not played at this level since 2007.

Sporting Lisbon

Beaten in Portugal by rivals Benfica and Porto, Sporting Lisbon were dire in last year's Champions League, finishing bottom of their group behind Legia Warsaw, Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund.

Hoffenheim

Under 29-year-old manager Julian Nagelsmann, Hoffenheim hit new heights this season. They claimed a best ever fourth place in Bundesliga, having not lost until January after a 17 game run. This is their European debut.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...pions-League-play-opponent.html#ixzz4inckWpHD

2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    they all scare the crap out of me. 10 big fat banana skins.

3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nah, there's no way the boys will take any of them lightly. Not after what we've been through to get here.

4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    not really the point, though, burning. we had to take the lower-level prem teams seriously and look how that worked out.

these banana skin games can kill ya, and I'm not taking anything for granted.

when is the draw?

5. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    AEK, Istanbul, or Young Boys, please.
    Give me the teams without any solid experience in Europe.

6. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  7. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Especially the Young Boys;) Hoffenheim and Nice are the most dangerous.

8. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't want the Hoff.

9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  10. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

el-capitano repped this.
  11. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Du?

Fussballer repped this.
  12. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Not being too arrogant but really? If Liverpool cannot win any of those sides then the team ain't good enough for the champions league proper

13. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Exactly Don - that's why they play the games...if we can't win it, we don't belong...

14. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Normally that would be good logic, but we are talking about the team that went undefeated against the top 6 in the Premier League, but couldn't beat the likes of Bournemouth and Swansea.

delaynomo repped this.
  15. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a team that went 9w-3d-1l down the stretch with 4 huge away wins in a row in crunch time.

soccershaggy repped this.
  16. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably don't want trips to Moscow, Istanbul or Romania between PL games to start the season.

SamScouse repped this.
  17. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

If I had to guess (which I do because I am too lazy and busy to open up a map), I'd wager that there can't be more than 100 miles or so difference ion th edistance from Liverpool to Athens and Liverpool to Bucharest.....

I'll have a look later

18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so add Athens to the list...

19. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i get where you're coming from, but i don't wanna play a team with nothing to lose.

i've looked at a couple of sides that i'm not familiar with, Viktoria and Istanbul

Viktoria is a team that had 50% clean sheets and scored 20% of their goals after the 75th minute.

Istanbul is a high-scoring team that had almost 50% clean sheets and scored 25% of their goals after the 75th minute.

20. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Anyone know when is that draw?

(Yes - I could look it up - but that is also what I am doing?)

21. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wingtips1 repped this.
  22. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  23. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  24. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    but what if it was on the 2nd page, or the third one....??? Hence, why bother when I know someone more interested in scrolling about these pages in their near entirity will be forthcoming with an answer.... (hence freeing up my valuable analytical time for other more important things! ;)

25. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The food is on the plate, but some want to be spoonfed.