PBP: Champions League: Matchday 3: Chelsea v. Ajax

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Barkley, Kante, Christensen, RLC, and Pedro have not traveled with the team to Amsterdam. 19 other players have, including Billy Gilmour, though the U19 team did also travel on the plane for their own match.

I see a draw here.

2. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Win.

Won't be able to watch as I'm prepping for a trip. Might catch some highlights though.

3. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Thinking 2-1 Ajax here. They're in better form IMO.

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    But too many mistakes in the back that so far have not been punished because of poor finishing. If we do that tomorrow, Chelsea might get two goals off of gifts. Everyone is healthy for Ajax. the big question is whether ten Hag goes with a defensive double pivot of Alvarez and Martinez which was the formation against Valencia away. Martinez is a wonderful holding MF and destined for a place in the Argentina NT.

Chelsea MF will have to work very hard tomorrow as Ajax ball rotation is fast. All the Ajax attackers are very good in tight spaces and can run off defenders in the box very well. It should be a wonderful fixture and let's hope for some exciting football!!!

5. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Great info. Appreciate you stopping by.

We'll make a go of it which is a nice change to some previous regimes. We aren't the best finishing team but we do create quite a few chances.

6. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  7. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Big one this. The group is still pretty open but we can go a very long way towards qualification with a win here.

Hoping for Lille to get something from Valencia as well

8. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    AND

Don't do that! A sneaky feint, but nice try.

Ajax and an Arsenal supporter. Indeed.

DutchFanatic and Rman3349 repped this.
  9. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I'm actually wondering how Lampard will approach this one from a tactical point of view.

Lamps has had great experience in European football in a stellar career, seeing the highs and lows of playing away at tough opponents.

I'm wondering if he is going to go the Mourinho way, setting up the team in a "we may not win, but we'll sure as hell be hard to beat" way.
    I'm thinking he'll be savvy enough to realize that this game is not the "must win" one of the two, that'll be the home leg.That being said, he'll also want to give us a chance at taking all the points so anything other than 3-5-2 will be a shocker to me.

James gets another start I'm thinking, Azpi drops into the back three.
    I think Pulisic should get a nod over Mount in this one, to start in the middle as CHO is not being displaced by anyone and Willian is yet to play his way out of the team.
    Brings up an interesting question though, which of the players, Mount or Pulisic, does Lampard trust to follow his tactical instructions?
    Now, young Mount has over a full season plus, under Lampard and continues to be picked by him, so that there is all telling in how on board Mount is with his way of playing.
    Young Pulisic is just a couple of months into a learning experience, but somewhere along the line Lampard has to give him a run out to see what(if anything) he is taking on board.
    Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Pulisic start this one.

Hope we score twice though, don't think we're good enough to stop them scoring at least once, and we're just not set up as a Mourinho type team, that can soak up pressure for 90 whilst winning it 1-0.

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Better not play bunker down football. Ajax regularly face this type of tactic is in the league and dealt with it successfully. Best strategy is to try to match up with Ajax and prey on a mistake which will come.

11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Going 3-5-2, with the talent we have, would not be considered "bunker down" ball. As I said, we're simply not good enough to play that way, defensively speaking, of course.

Rman3349 repped this.
  12. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If we didn't do it against Liverpool, fat chance it's happening against you or anyone else. Should be an entertaining one tomorrow.

Good to have you in the thread btw :) always nice to get opposition insight.

Wonder if we'll see Lamps mix it up and throw Pulisic a start. He's got the edge in terms of CL experience over Mount by some margin. Won't be too bothered either way but.. I feel it's 50/50.

Cautiously optimistic, per usual... 3-2 to the boys in blue

13. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The match is actually on TNT (USA) at 1PM EST.

Thanks for the Ajax point of view; good to know that other fans are as insecure about their clubs as we are about ours.

Ninjatend0 and Wrath repped this.
  14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Being an Ajax supporter in recent years is only for the insecure!!!:eek: We finally have a trainer who usually gets the tactics correct and is well liked by the players.

15. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No Billy Gilmour for the U19s today, so he'll be in the mix today for sure. My guess at the starting 11:

Kepa, Az, Tomori, Zouma, Alonso, Jorginho, Mount, Kova, CHO, Tammy, Willian

We're left without many options in defense or midfield.

16. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The thing about Mount (like Willian a bit)) which goes a bit unnoticed and underappreciated, by many not named Frank, even if he not contributing his best on offense, is his effort, movement, and key spearheading of the deep press we like to impose. (Also what Lamp seems to hint the most at what Pul needs to improve-though Pul does seem to put in a fair effort at it mostly, but Mount after a year knows the in 's and out's of the Supah Press likely better.)

All in all I think we go with a 3-4-3/3-5-2 with James rather than Kova in Brock's line-up, or more likely with CHO getting a rest and Kova playing deep with Jorginho with Mount inside behind Tammy.

If we go with the 4-2-3-1, could see Pul starting on left and CHO getting a rest to start but on bench as CHO has played a fair amount of matches post-recovery.

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Don't forget that Mount spent a season on loan at Vitesse in the Dutch League and knows quite a bit about Ajax tactics.

Rman3349 and lobomojo repped this.
  18. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    2 young teams....so nice to see.

19. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm just happy to see Ajax doing well again.

20. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Chelsea go Kepa, Azpi, Zouma, Tomori, Alonso, Jorginho, Kovacic, Mount, Hudson-Odoi, Willian, Abraham as I guessed. Pulisic on the barnch.

Sergino Dest starts for Ajax (US or Holland guy).

21. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Caballero, Giroud, Pulisic, Batshuayi, James, Emerson and Gimour = barnch

22. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    4231 or a 433, but my guess is more of a 4231.

23. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    CHO as right wing back, gents?

[​IMG]

24. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States