PBP: Champions League: Matchday 3: Chelsea v. Ajax

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah, brutal decision. VAR is cancer.

We've had a couple of absurd ones go against us. Pulisic was never offside in the Super Cup game IMO, and calling the play back 20 seconds to rule an offside against Pool again was extremely questionable.

DutchFanatic repped this.
  2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I had a far less polite version of this reply written initially, but maybe choose your words better.

3. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    The decision was super close, these things happen. It was also off a deflection, so arguing Ajax somehow “deserved” to be in the lead from it doesn’t make sense. I don’t think we played all that well, but we created the better chances on the road. Seems reasonable to me.

4. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You've been on ignore for almost a year for a reason, go for it

5. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001

6. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That’s a terrible argument. I’m not arguing that Ajax inherently deserved to win this game. It could have gone either way and a draw was probably the logical result. But in a match like this, the game is won on moments. At the time the legitimate Ajax goal was canceled out we were the team on top. Clearly that is a catastrophic error especially considering the game was eventually decided 0-1 in the 86th minute. The entire game would have been played differently tactically had that goal counted. Hell, that could still have meant Chelsea won 1-2 but the fact is that error changed the entire game. The fact that it was a fortunate goal thanks to a deflection doesn’t change that. You could also argue Ajax was unfortunate to hit the post while Chelsea was fortunate that their shot against the crossbar went in.

Those are pointless arguments. Fact is that the VAR overrode a legitimate goal in an extremely tight game.

Again, yes I know this happens to a lot of teams and that doesn’t change the fact that it screwed up this game. Lest we forget Ajax is the first team ever to have a goal disallowed by VAR in the champions league during last years knockout game against Real Madrid, which was also an extremely dubious call.

So no I don’t buy into this excuse of “it happens, deal with it.” We can’t hide behind human error anymore. This was an initial correct decision by the ref overridden by a wrong decision by the VAR with huge implications for Ajax. It deserves to be spoken about and criticized heavily. Yes, I know that wont change anything.

7. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    You were definitely not. You hadn’t created a meaningful opportunity in 10 minutes and only created this one because of a very friendly deflection. The game could have ended any way - you could have scored 3 long range wonder goals. But arguing that one goal being taken away in the first half on a razor thin margin, when that chance was the result of a fortunate deflection, is some kind of gross miscarriage of justice is silly.
    You weren’t the better side, you didn’t deserve to win.

8. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Dude, I really don’t understand your post. Really weird confrontation you’re seeking based on nothing.

Nowhere did I say Chelsea did not deserve to win. I have repeatedly said it was a close match and the score could have gone either way. Either team could have won and would have deserved it, and likewise a draw would have been a fair result.

But for the British media to write about some kind of great performance from Chelsea while completely disregarding the cancellation of a legitimate goal and the fact that the game was pretty much even is an extreme exagerration.

Is it weird or undeserved that Chelsea won? No. But did Chelsea dominate the game the way the British media is portaying? Also no. And did Chelsea receive a huge benefit from the ref to win this game? Absolutely yes.

Your attempt to paint it as an anti-Chelsea comment is pointless. It has nothing to do with who deserved to win, both deserved it fairly equally. But when a game is won 0-1 after a legitimate goal for the other team is called off.... yeah that creates discussion on whether that was a fair result.

9. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    It’s weird for you to come here to complain about the HORRIFIC INJUSTICE done to Ajax when you claim you’re only offended by the English press reaction. We’re not the English press. To my knowledge no one here writes for any English papers. They have comment sections. Enjoy.

10. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    ffs the only injustice were the fouls being called, every time a player pushed or ran into, or knocked over Tammy and others, he was called or he did not get a call, while Chelsea players were called for apparently violating a secret new rule where Dutch players get 2 feet of inviolable air space around their bodies:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    He won't start over CHO against Burnley.
    Willian may be another story, then there is the small matter of Manure in midweek..which he should be odds on to start.

12. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002

Nothing I've seen in European football has reached the deplorable depths of injustice as the second leg of our semi final against Barca on 09.

13. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And nothing ever will. Pure insanity.

lobomojo and Rman3349 repped this.
  14. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Absolutely I was at the game and could not believe it. All that happened was Chelsea players penalised after for telling the truth.

By the laws of the game the Ajax goal was not legitimate as it was ruled out as offside.

However I was surprised by the ruling.

I am now totally against VAR it might be fun for the armchair fan but it has completely ruined the experience of the fans in the stadium.

StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  15. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Why does Pulisic not play central or wide right for Nats (getting the lingo down :D)

16. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    On top of that, the players are now complaining too about the "joy" of scoring being taken away as the traditional over the shoulder look to the lineman, before wheeling away to celebrate, means nowt anymore.

17. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You say 'legitimate' but the guy was offside! So it simply WASN'T a legitimate goal!! At best you can argue that it 'might have been legitimate. Ultimately if it had been allowed when he was offside THEN it would have been rough justice!

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But that argument involves a significant counterfactual element and, as an England supporter, I find that very difficult to accept for this reason...

[​IMG]

We'd gone 2-0 down and then fought back to 2-2 immediately before the end of the first half or, at least, we would have done if that goal, that's a foot and a half over the line, had been given.

So, on the basis you're arguing I could say that we wouldn't have been chasing the game and we wouldn't have thrown men forward leaving big, gaping holes at the back.

I mean, who can say.

But personally I'm prepared to say... shit happens.

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That wasn't just one incident. That was about 5.

StamfordBridgeLions and lobomojo repped this.
  20. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He does. He's played both. He would be the best player in any position for the US aside from keeper.

21. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002

Really?

Why is it then that he's (seemingly) always portrayed as a wide left player?

22. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Because we have to use two midfielders to defend to cover for our ancient CDM, Michael Bradley, Oh and because our coach is a dumbass.

Before this coach some of his brightest moments in a US kit have come from when he was playing in the center.

He can play out wide, but his best spot is central. He isn't ready day in day out for that at EPL level, but he can do it in Concacaf. If our captain and CDM for life would make the other team pay for trying to foul him out of the game we could play him central more often. (McKennie will!)

To top it all off our coach seems too rigid to build a system to the players he has, and intent on sticking square pegs into round holes. :cry:

Clan and Blueallthru repped this.
  23. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    One of Willian or CHO needs to be dropped vs Burnley. Partially for rotation, but also partially for this supposed meritocracy thing - they were both pretty bad in Amsterdam.

24. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Ahh, but with VAR we’d have gotten at least two pens vs Barca ;)

25. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I concur. VAR completely destroys the momentum of a game.

lobomojo repped this.