Champions League Matchday 2: APOEL Nicosia vs Tottenham Hotspur

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, Sep 26, 2017.

1. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Game is streaming on ESPN's service.

Odd lineup, but they're making due with the injuries/suspensions that they have.

COYS

soccernutter repped this.
  2. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Half time, 1 0. Who else, category 5...

It's got to the point where it's more of a surprise when he doesn't score.

Odd lineup, but decent enough. Only Trippier on the left is really out of position, with Davies playing left centre back. For a side with Vertonghen, Rose, Wanyama, Dembele, Alli and Eriksen (and Lamela I suppose) missing, it's a plus that our depth still allows a lineup of experienced and talented players.

3. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harry Kane will be a very rich man next year.

He's got two.

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he has a decent agent, he will be very rich this year if he scores a bunch of goal. Apparently Levy like to use incentives.

5. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A VERY RICH MAN!!!

hat trick

6. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Hat trick. Wouldn’t mind a second look at some of the Apoel players in the winter transfer window. Could be some bargains to be had.

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things are going well in the other match, too.

8. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Winks reminds me so much of Scott Parker in style and appearance. Not so much a clone as version 2. They both look like they could have been extras in Dunkirk.

9. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How long before they call us a one man team?

10. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    He's just a 3 season wonder.

BalanceUT repped this.
  11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 seasons ago...

BalanceUT repped this.
  12. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lets face it...we have a $150 million or more player; maybe more. now what?

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the new stadium will be called "Harry Kane's FedEx White Heart Lane"

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the highlights, Spurs were lucky to go in at half time up APOEL 0-1 Spurs. Could very easily have been APOEL2-1 Spurs.

But Harry was doing Harry. Also, there was a note that when Llorente came on, Kane dropped deeper, and on the 3rd goal in particular, he arrived late in the box with 3 others already there.

15. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Nice hat trick by Harry, but he was completely unmarked on the last two goals. The other team I follow has lots of guys who would put those chances in the cheap seats, though, and that's the difference.

16. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #16 Count Chocula, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Aurier got owned by the APOEL left winger time and time again. he was very poor. also Lloris nearly pulled a Gomes clownshoes type play where he punted the ball into Sanchez and it rolled back just wide of goal. Toby also passed a couple rebounds off APOEL forwards that were lucky they didn't latch onto. entire defense was pretty poor the first half. Sanchez relies way too much on his upper body strength and will get called for a penalty or two at some point this season, IMO.

once Poch changed to 4 at the back (when he subbed Llorente on for Aurier), Spurs defense looked more settled and pretty well kept things under control

also, while not great, this was one of Sissokos better matches. he generally played pretty well, tho he still made several Sissoko-like mistakes, I'd say he was a net plus this match

17. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Your post made me go back to the lineup. They really started with 5 defenders? Against Apoel?

18. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Not 5, back 3 with 2 wingbacks (Tripper left, Aurier right). It's really not a defensive formation.

19. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Agree with the Count's comments, don't know why Poch insists with Trippier at left wing-back- APOEL were not even marking him because he will never break to the by-line on his left foot and make a cross. It really shows our need for Rose's return or a pacy left-footed winger. I remember our ex-player Chris Waddle saying that he doesn't understand why English clubs pay so much money for players and then play them out of position and then complain when they don't produce.

Agree with the comment about Aurier, Aloneftis, who is 34 BTW, absolutely skinned him all night. At least Poch got the sub and change of formation right. Llorente gave us someone who could hold the ball up and keep it in the APOEL end and the switch to Trippier at RB solidified the defence (and he set up Harry's hat-trick with a lovely cross).

Sometimes you need a little luck and good timing in football. Good thing the fixture list gave us APOEL, if we had put this side out against Real or Dortmund, we would have got shelled.

Hopefully we can take advantage of this ideal start to get into the knockout stage - I do not want to drop back into the Europa League!

20. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #20 Count Chocula, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    one more thing - Winks did well overall. he made some nice turns and nifty moves and made one run in the 2nd half where the guy marking him had to foul him like 3 times before the ref finally called it but it was very Dembele-like

also, I complained this weekend how Spurs with a 3-0 lead didn't do a good job with the lead (even before Aurier was sent off)

yesterday they saw the match out quite professionally after it was 3-0. heck even after it was 2-0 they were more careful with possession

21. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    White Hart Kane

edit: I’m sure someone’s already done that. I probably even repped it.

BalanceUT repped this.
  22. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Winks is really good on the ball, he reminds me of a better version of Tom Carroll, Poch really rates him. Dembélé appears to have a chronic foot problem, so Winks will get a lot of opportunities to establish himself.

23. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I like my cousin from Tottenham's summary of the match:

Spurs pass-pass-pass lose ball...Apoel nearly score...Spurs pass-pass-pass lose ball...

Apoel run around a bit, lose ball...Harry Kane scores...

Spurs pass-pass-pass lose ball...Apoel nearly score...Spurs pass-pass-pass lose ball...

Apoel run around a bit, lose ball...Both managers make substittions...

Harry Kane scores...

Spurs pass bettter...Apoel run around aimlessly...Apoel supporters make lots of noise...

Harry Kane scores...

Final quarter of the game, Harry Kane subbed, both teams take turns giving the ball away, game ends.

BalanceUT and soccernutter repped this.
  24. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    close, but I seem to remember at least one if not 2 Spurs goals were very closely after an APOEL nearly scoring chance