PBP: Champions League Group Match Day 4: Chelsea v. Roma

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Oct 31, 2017.

1. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    So glad I'm not watching this shit.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh real mature... rub our faces in it

Serengeti_Boy and Ninjatend0 repped this.
  3. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Bakayoko certainly has all the tools to be a real midfield force, but currently he's showing the exact reasons i was hesitant about his signing.

Dtrip77 repped this.
  4. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Perks of working during the day. :)

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  5. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That was some of the worse play I’ve ever seen from a lot of them. Eden and Morata (despite a bad miss) at least combine very well for the most part but ********...

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just going through the list of starters...

Courtois Rudiger Luiz Cahill Azpilicueta Bakayoko Fabregas Alonso Pedro
    Hazard Morata

Of those I'd say there was maybe sideshow bob and Hazard had what you'd call a 'moderate', (but not good), game. All the others varied from just poor to absolutely dreadful.

Well, I say that... Gaz was taken off but, tbh, WAS he any worse than Rudiger? Bear in mind the latter just ignored the ball drifting past him and allowed El Shaarawy to tap the ball into the net for their 2nd goal. So maybe he was somewhere between moderate and poor but more towards the 'poor' end and I just missed the bits that made him worth taking off and the rest of the defence worth leaving on the pitch for the full 90 minutes.

Possibly the worst, for me, was Fabregas who was truly dreadful. It's rare to see such an incompetent display from someone who's a good player. DD wasn't much better when he replaced him, (although he got better even in the brief period he was on the pitch), but then, we're not going to rely on DD to to pick out an inch-perfect pass to open up the other team's defence, are we.

7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised he went 3-4-3. Really thought he'd break out the 3-5-2.

Still not a fan of Azpi at Wingback. Also think it has to do with the dip in form. He's a very smart player but it's a lot to ask to have him play CB in a 3 backline one game to then play Wingback in 3-4-3 the next. I think it plays a part in the dip in form we've seen. Last year outside of a few cameos he was a CB.

Christensen has got to be thinking what the hell do I have to do to snag a place in the 11. He's better than Cahill and Rudy. Rudy is a better fit for the outside CB in a 3 backline than either but he's been poor of late.

Also I think it's clear we have to play 3-5-2 when we don't have Kante. Baka and Cesc just don't work well in a 3-4-3. And while Drinkwater and Baka may it's not enough time to try now. Maybe in a cup tho. Cesc needs to go back to the sub role to break a compact defense not 90 minutes.

8. limpidrock

limpidrock Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Cahill + Fabregas in front of him is a recipe for defensive disaster. Our soft spine was badly exposed without Kante, not to mention match fatigue (how many 90 minutes games has Fabregas played already this season?)

9. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Balls. We aren't very good without Kante.

Honestly, the squad needs a shakeup. Hazard seems to coming into his own again, but no one else is. Defensively we're a mess. A giant ********ing mess. No idea what Rüdiger was thinking. Luiz continues to be sub par. Gaz is Gaz. Conte needs to put his faith in Zappacosta. Musonda needs to play. Drinkwater might be our second best option in midfield right now.

Ugh. We're shite when we aren't up for it.

10. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And for the record, we've been undone against this side by 2 or 3 wonder goals. El Sharaawy did us in with two goals he could replicate if he tried. Both were perfectly placed.

We aren't all that good, but they played great and we were awful.

We had our chances too, but we just can't put anything away.

11. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Poor performance. Kanté missing is huge. I think we need to play with a 3 man midfield. Baka / Cesc / Kante. Lack of depth at LWB is showing. Luiz has been poor, would really like to see Christensen playing some more.

Hazard was fantastic until he got his minor injury. We did play some very good football for about 25 mins in the 1st half and looked the better side just Roma were much more clinical.

12. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Don't think its all doom and gloom at all for us for those reasons. Morata puts away a sitter and its a completely different game.

13. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Agree, it isn't all rainbows and unicorns either. Still think we're suffering from the JM clear out.

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    TBH while Kante's out I think DD could be a a like-for-like replacement. Not as good but similar in style and gets a foot in.

Blueallthru repped this.
  15. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I think we also miss Moses despite what many people here think of him, some of our worst defensive games last year were when Moses was not playing he really tightens up the right side. I don't think the 3rd goal is scored if he was playing. So no Kante and no Moses really weakens our defence.

16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rio mentions Moses here...

He also says that moving the defenders around from right to left isn't a good idea.

17. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Frankie is the first one to mention Moses. :)

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's what comes of clicking the 'quote' button and then leaving it on the screen while I watch some TV before posting about 40 minutes later :D