PBP: Champions League Group Match Day 2: Chelsea v. Ateltico Madrid

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Bats does it I apologise

2. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Just shown a close up of Costa looking sick.

A great result for us and keeps us up on top of the group

3. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Michy yet again.

4. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    that was a beautifully worked goal. Bats wins it with literally the last kick of the game.

5. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    The touch by Bakayoko(!) really made that possession.

7. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  8. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  10. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    Aww Yeeeaaahh!!! :thumbsup:

Very good overall tonight apart from giving away the peno & a draw wouldn't have been a just refelection of how the boys played over 90 mins but I was happy to take it being a goal down & all. That last kick winner was just Too Sweet. :inlove:

11. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Great..missed a wonderful game.

12. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What a match. Bats just gets it done. Loads of chances from the boys tonight. Really out played Atleti.

13. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Looking at his phone. Plastic fan.

14. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This new gig has made it much harder to just escape and stream these ones!

Happy to hear we played a good game. Alvaro is legit man. Well done Bats! Good stuff

truefan420 repped this.
  15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm getting a bit worried about Baka. He seems to take an age to get up to the pace of the game, losing the ball to a tackle he hasn't seen coming and he's taken to simply passing the ball to the opposition on occasion which, for a midfielder, is hardly ideal. Tonight he clattered into the back of Torres, (IIRC), on the edge of the penalty area which, with another ref, could have been given as a pen.

It's early days yet, I get that but I hope he doesn't take too long to sort himself out.

16. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same. We have a TV in the break room but only stay there so long. I had to turn off wifi and stream from my phone. Almost lost my shit when we scored.

17. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Wow and there was me talking about taking a draw! Fabulous performance, completely dominated them in their own stadium how often do they let in a goal at home in Europe let alone lose!? Costa's look of disbelief said it all. The best Chelsea performance I have seen for quite a while, I hope they have enough left in the tank for City at the weekend.

Dtrip77 and Blueallthru repped this.
  18. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Incidentally, I think it's now pretty clear why we bought Bakayoko. Matic was a poor fit in a 3-5-2, but Bakayoko is perfect for that system (less so for a 3-4-3).

Kerry Dixon's Boots and Wrath repped this.
  19. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just imagine when Baka hits his stride.

My friend is a Madrid fan and cursed them for selling Morata. Skill, strength, desire, touch, positioning - all without the baggage.

Blueallthru repped this.
  20. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He definitely gifted Atleti possession, whether it be a dumb dribble or misplaced pass, at a decent rate. Luckily today our opposition couldn't do much as far as countering goes, and we quickly won back possession more often than not, but on another day those giveaways could've given up multiple goals. Think he'll iron it out as he's still only just turned 23, but he was concerning me throughout the match as well

21. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Credit has to be given to AM as they nuetralized our midfield pretty well. Countless times i noticed whenever Kante or Baka were on the ball, 4 AM players would quickly suffocate their possession. Thats why Hazard and Morata had to drop deeper to provide that releif. Wasn't an easy game but we stayed focused and came through at the end.

22. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bats has an eye for goal which is what we want from a forward, but the rest of his game to me is not quite up to par. He's a head scratcher for me

23. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Baka is a little raw for sure. but he's also shown some incredibly skill for his size at times, and when he decides to shield the ball or get the ball out of trouble in to a space where a teammate can get it, he's really good. i think he'll be really great in the future. we also played more of a possession game than we are used to.

24. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    what a game though right? we were pretty excellent in most regards considering what AM are good at and how they play. i'm not going to sit here and say we totally outclassed them, but it was certainly a slightly different approach and shows that this team is adaptable. overall i thought it was a GREAT performance and that we deserved the win. AM have been one of the best team in Europe the last 5 years, so going there and controlling the game and putting in a performance that was not just matching their level but trying to go past was really impressive from this group.

Dtrip77 and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That little tip round the corner that set up the cross for our 2nd goal was a thing of beauty :)

I'm just saying he needs to iron out some of the kinks in his game. As cokeyounut says, he's only 23. I'm thinking EPL midfielders kicking him up the arse every 5 minutes every game will sharpen up his instincts PDQ :D