Champions' League group D 2011/12 [R]

Discussion in 'Olympique Lyonnais' started by guignol, Sep 14, 2011.

1. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    our best defender was fired day before game for saluting supporters :D

2. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  3. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    I forgot that Zhagreb had Leko in their team. He hasn't changed a bit since his time at Monaco. :p

4. new_skin

new_skin Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? Prior to Lyon/Dinamo, Lyon had scored a grand total of 2 goals in the entire group stage. They then rattle off 7 goals in half an hour at the same time Ajax has 2 perfectly good goals disallowed. There's nothing on this website that says you can only use a team's thread to say good things about them, and whether Lyon was involved in any potential controversy or not, the actions during those two games merit discussion.

Maybe that's because when France was announced as hosts of Euro 2016, Marc Planus told people he'd found out about it the night before (Thursday), when the vote didn't even happen until Friday. Then when people raised questions about France hosting, Platini said Turkey could host a tournament when UEFA had a Turkish president.

5. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    they do indeed. and even if your post only repeats things said a dozen times elsewhere, it's OK to put it here. but i was not about to allow a war to start here.

yes, we know all about that.

6. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  7. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    As if this kind talk about Platini started with the Euro 2016. :rolleyes: If Platini was helping the French teams, where was he during Bilbao PSG or Bratislava PSG (ref mistakes) ? I mention PSG because that's the recent games that I remember.

You know why it's impossible to discuss about your conspiracy theory. Because there it's based on nothing. There is nothing to prove it, not a single evidence, a proof that is proving it, nothing. A proof, it's not a ref mistake or the number of goals. The schema we have seen, it's the same thing we're seeing at the end of the season with some teams that are focusing on their objectives while the rest have nothing to achieve or already did. Everybody remembers Guingamp -Lyon with Drogba and Malouda. As long as they are not losing, the team that has nothing to play tend to play decently but once they are starting losing they tend to give up mentally.
    Plus, there is no such thing as a normal scoreline in football. We've never seen a team losing 4-0 and winning 5-4 or losing 3-0 and winning 4-3 ? It's not even more "weird". That's football. Crazy shit happens and it tends to be the games that people are remembering.

Anyway, I believe that when you are arming the reputation, the image of a club with these accusations, you need more than your own conviction to make this kind of allegation. Once again, the media got crazy without proof. I'm not surprised that the media spanish are going nuts even if they are not concerned. They got their revenge on what Noah said about Spanish athletes. There is a cultural rivalry between Spain and France. I'm not even sure that I should call it a rivalry since it's not something you can feel in France but rather in Spain. It's not like Lyon has anything ot do with Noa, it's childish but it's like that.

I have no problem with the game being corrupted as long as it's based on solid proof and not your conviction. You don't hurt the image of a club like that, knowing how much image is important without proof.

8. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    The UK press have also gotten into the action.

This one slams Platini and says that Dinamo Zagreb shouldn't be allowed to play CL football because they don't have the pedegree, but yet it would impossible for Lyon to beat them without cheating. HUH?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-League-masterplan-flawed--Martin-Samuel.html

And this one says Lyon out and out paid for the game.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/colum...-rush-deserves-investigation-115875-23621293/

The UK press have it out for Platini because he's trying to reform football and inject more parity into the sport. Thats the last thing that fans of the EPL want since all of their best clubs are propped up with dirty money.

9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    first of all, the redtops have it out for platini because he's french, which is even worse than being a foreigner. neither they nor their readership need any further justification than that.

the mirror article doesn't say OL bought the match. they make their usual joking innuendo about it, which serves a dual purpose: if attacked in court they can claim it was only a witticism that no one could be expected to take seriously... no one but a mirror reader of course!

the mail says dinamo shouldn't be allowed to play the CL? there's something to be said for that side of the argument: the zelinas, debrecens and dinamos of the world generally end up such pitiful whipping boys as to skew the competition even without wrongdoing (and a hypothesis that clubs from these nations are more prone to such is not devoid of merit either). but platini's objective of opening CL play, and pay, to the underprivileged corners of UEFA may be a good one; after all, APOEL nicosia fits into the same definition, and they may be a first step in a very healthy direction.

i didn't see anything in the mail article about lyon needing to cheat, perhaps it was in the comments, but you can't blame that on british rail, errr, mail.

10. Breakwood

Breakwood Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    It's a shame people can't accept things like this happen in sport. It's why we all watch. What's the point in following football (or any other sport for that matter) if the result is predetermined. The fact is Dinamo had nothing to play for, and les Gones had everything to play for. When this situation happens; the results can be very surprising.

This happened to my local team in the Canadian Championship a few years ago. We went into Montreal not only needing to win but to also make up a +4 goal differential to beat Vancouver out for the Cup. We went down 1-0 early on, on the road in Montreal, but the players kept believing and we score 6 unanswered to win 6-1 and take the cup. Sure the Vancouver fans were devestated and we were eccstatic, but that's the magic of sport.

There's always going to be winners and losers, and at least for me, that's why I watch.