Champions League Draw

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Michael Berk, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Midgo

Midgo Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Not a bad draw by any means, EDF has enough time to get the team playing the way he wants them to play, my only concern overall this season is the rw position, imo we need a better wide player to have a chance against the best teams.

2. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't remember anyone thinking we were going to beat Shakhtar in 2011. We were a mess, and they were a lot of pundits' dark horse for CL that year.

It might have just been salt in the wound of a season that had promise early and had come off of the rails.

3. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can honestly see a path to the Semifinals now. I feel like if we get past Shaktar and draw an English team (other than Man City), we can get to the Semis.

4. Michael Berk

Michael Berk Member+

Apr 21, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slow down, how about a good showing at Shakhtar and then we move from there...

5. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I said at the top of the thread that, after the obvious two, Shakhtar were the ones to avoid. This is because I think the first leg away is probably tougher than the other three we could have been facing. It's hard to say really tho.

We have a great chance of progressing. But our CL record is not exactly spectacular so right now I'd say it's 50/50. This will change for better or worse depending on form/health come game time.

6. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    Shakhtar isn't as strong as they were back then. They have a great scouting system in Brazil but they're not what they were. That Ukranian guy really has a problem with Napoli damn. They are a good team and will cause you guys problems with their wingers who are quick as hell but Florenzi is better equiped to handle them than Hysaj was. Your midfield also has more grit than ours and once Allan our only player with grit came on, we controlled the middle of the field. Naingollan should be the difference maker based off how Allan was able to change the game for us.

porreca and Oban14 repped this.
  7. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I guess it's worth noting that Shakhtar have a lengthy winter break before getting back to competitive football just before the first leg. Whether this is a good or bad thing I dont know. Could be a little match rusty or they could be extremely well prepared!

8. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Shakhtar have humiliated us before, they can do it again.... Unfortunately, I think we will struggle badly against them. If we can hardly beat a team that rhymes with Crapbag, will we really beat a good side like Shakhtar ?

Anyways, getting out of the group is a huge achievement for this team.

9. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could really use that CL money...

10. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    good draw when you realize who we avoided!

Also, how important was it to finish 1st, i think ill be making a visit to the Chelsea forums, could be fun

11. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'd always side on the competitive game over rest. Theyre obviously used to this situation by now but I don't see how it's not an advantage for us. Even if we went in with a few injuries that sharpness with real games.

Midfield General repped this.
  12. Gio-13

Gio-13 Member

Aug 26, 2007
    watching skywalkers
    Club:
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk
    It's a great thing for you. You can't really get fully used to this situation ever, I remember we were still playing first games of the year way worse than in a month into the season. Precisely in 2011 we dealt with that nicely, but that was rarer occassion. Usually we struggle a lot and while or form usually is sufficient for UEL, for 1/8 UCL it's the other way around. Just for example, in the 2009 we won the last edition of the UEFA Cup before UEL rebranding, being very dominating in all the last games. But in the first round of playoffs, 1/16, we have faced Tottenham who fielder their youngsters from their B and C teams and they gave hell for us, being totally better physically prepared, we nearly embarassed ourself by dropping to them. So we usually need time to regain full strengh, that's why I love that the first leg would be at Feb 21 and not at 13, every additional day is good for our readiness, I believe.

13. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yeah, put it this way, if it was us going into the first leg after a two month long lay off, we'd probably be a bit concerned alright.

La Magica repped this.
  14. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    im afraid of the weather conditions tbh and we know our history with matches that are played in shit conditions, it usually doesnt end well. Hopefully we will be prepared for that mentally

15. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    If they have a bad game and use that as an excuse I'd be embarrassed to say I support them.