Champions league and Europa league thread (General)

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by wilson00, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    How many countries are ahead of NL on coefficient points, and how much ground do we have to make up??

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  3. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's not so much them as the horrible year Dutch teams had two seasons ago.

Oranje98 repped this.
  5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    AZ is supposed to play a home match on Thursday in the Europa League. Given the roof damage to the stadium, anyone know where this will be played.

6. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    ADO Den Haag's stadium

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Good luck to AZ, PSV, and Feyenoord tomorrow. We need wins from all three matches to help out the coefficient.

8. Feyenoord is going to play in a weird atmosphere. Dynamo has been punished by UEFA with a stadium ban. So in principle an empty stadium. However about 150 Feyenoord supporters had already bought a ticket and booked fly and stay. So they are allowed by UEFA to go into the stadium. So Feyenoord will be playing a kind of home match for 150 supporters:D

9. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    AZ and PSV better not f_ck this up today

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    AZ up 2-0 at the half; PSV scoreless at the half. Feyenoord drew 1-1 but advances. Still Dutch clubs need to win every match to get max points. Qualifying rounds only get 1/2 the points that group stage does so every win counts!!!

Oranje98 repped this.
  11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Europa League Play Off Round Ties:

PSV Eindhoven (NED) v Apollon Limassol (CYP)
    Feyenoord (NED) v Hapoel Beer-Sheva (ISR)
    AZ Alkmaar (NED) v Royal Antwerp (BEL)

Need all three teams to step up and make it to the group stage!!!

12. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    All 3 Dutch teams are favourites to advance on betting sites

13. Oranje98

Oranje98 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Honestly the draw couldn't have been better. PSV is particularly lucky with this draw. However, I have to say that van Bommel is such a poor tactician. He makes Stam looks like a promising coach.
    I had hopes for him to be as good as his father-in-law.

Orange14 repped this.
  14. I read the clubs from Turkey and Austria had a bad run, which benefitted us apparently.

15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Austria have 3 of five teams left. Salzburg is in CL group stage and LASK are in the qualifying round against Brugge. They have one team in the EL. Turkey have 4 of five teams left but one is in group stage of CL and two are group stage of EL.

16. Thank you Brugge. They beat an Austrian team and are set to eliminate them for the CL.
    That's what good neighbours are for, isnot it.

Orange14 repped this.
  17. It's the curse of the qualifiers for the CL/EL for clubs in the Netherlands.
    It comes in a period that you should be practicing for the competition and fitting in new players. Instead it is scrambled together and each objective is interfering with the other.
    This whole shit is due to the UEFA.

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I haven't checked the Eredivisie schedule for this weekend. Did the FA give the EL teams the weekend off as they did Ajax? I agree with you that this whole system is pretty much bankrupt. Giving the four big Euro Leagues automatic CL spots is just ridiculous. the only solution is for countries to pull out of UEFA and just let the big fish have their own tournament that nobody will want to watch.

The money thing is absurd and I read an article in the NY Times today about the problems Juventus are having (will post to that thread).

19. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    #419 Blondo, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    https://www.vi.nl/nieuws/uitstelvoordeel-in-europa-verdwenen-voor-ajax-psv-en-az

Yes all 4 Dutch clubs that are active in the qualis have been given the weekend off.

Last time Bruges asked to reschedule a game the FA (KBVB) denied their request, leaving Bruges with a terribly congested calendar. Now they didn't mind as it's only 2 games/week and player fatigue isn't an issue this early in the season. Still the KBVB has changed their MO this year (probably because the KNVB helped out Ajax last year/those news articles didn't go unnoticed). Ghent and Antwerp are both active in EL qualis and had a game against each other this weekend but that will be postponed. Bruges didn't ask but their game will be postponed as well.

Now that other countries are helping their clubs (in Europe) Dutch clubs will lose that advantage. Feyenoord still get that edge (HBS's game this weekend wasn't postponed). Hoping this won't backfire, e.g. Europe's top clubs getting help and being well-rested ahead of games against clubs from smaller leagues.

PS preventing Antwerp fans from attending the game against AZ... I see another "edge" has already been found. Last month there was a similar case in Belgium (only a week to get things sorted) and visiting fans were welcome. Antwerp also have to play their home games elsewhere, i.e. in Brussels, and AZ fans will be received with open arms: https://www.vi.nl/nieuws/brussel-ontvangt-fans-van-az-en-antwerp-wel-met-open-armen

20. It's not AZ's fault. They're guests in the Twente stadium (because of the AZ stadium roof collaps) and the burgomaster and police of Enschede couldnot guarantee safety on that short notice.

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    @Blondo - thanks!! I know the English teams, particularly those in the EL, always are complaining. I was watching the last Wolves game and the announcers were going on about how the EL is causing them problems. I thought teams wanted to play in Europe!!!

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Any word on how long repairs will take? IIRC, FC Twente had something similar collapse in their stadium and it took a long time to fix it.

23. Dunno. The Twente collaps was during the build and at least one construction worker iirc lost his life.
    Edit: Investigations are still taking place, so those have to be completed before decisions can be made about the safety of the stadium as a whole, let alone decisions about repair.

24. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    As I said there was a similar case in Belgium last month and they managed to accomodate the travelling fans (shorter notice as well) and now Brussels are helping Antwerp out while AZ fans are welcome.

The odd thing is because it was feared Antwerp and ADO fans would clash the tie was moved to the other side of the country, Enschede. And now the mayor of Enschede pulls this stunt. Hard to believe he can't sort this out/they aren't prepared. True Antwerp fans are a bit noisy but it isn't exactly an insurmountable task to allow them to attend a game.

25. Yeah, but the decisions are made by the burgomaster after advice of the police brass. It's not a plot to benefit a Dutch club. There were two events taking place at the matchday already in Enschede.
    https://www.rtvoost.nl/nieuws/31719...linge-Belgische-interesse-voor-Suzan-en-Freek