Champions League 2016

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by GunnerMan8705, Dec 7, 2016.

1. GunnerMan8705

GunnerMan8705 Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, the field is set...just thought I'd create a post to discuss/ make predictions.

Just for fun, name who you think the favorite is and who your sleeper is.... I know the draw is yet to happen and it will impact this greatly but I reserve the right to change after the draw on Monday

Favorite: Barcelona- just think they are extremely focused on winning the UCL this year.

Team that could win it if they got a good draw that isn't part of the big 4 (Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern, Juventus):

I really think if the stars align Arsenal could.

Dangerous team that will make it further than anyone thinks:

AS Monaco - they have some electric young talent With Mbappe, Lemar, Fabinho along with some experienced dudes in Jao Moutinho and Radamel Falcao.

Estel repped this.
  2. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Arsenal's biggest problem in the UCL is Wenger. He has proven himself to be a RO16/RO8 level of manager in the UCL. Whether it's tactical, or mental, or whatever, there's clearly a ceiling there that he hasn't been able to break through very often, despite having had like 20 attempts at this thing.

Juventus is not a UCL big four btw. Based on most recent performances, At. Madrid is. So it's the three Spanish clubs, and Bayern.

Dortmund has impressed me though. Monaco I feel is fun and exciting to watch, but I'm not sure they have what it takes to go beyond round of 8.

Now that Man City has Pep, can he make them a top 4 European team? He's proven himself that he's a semi-final at minimum manager.

Can't say much about the other teams as I haven't really kept a close eye on them.

3. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    From 2018 onward it will only become more predictable with the big teams more in charge as kingmakers, who can make or break a player. With the sponsors moaning that they should sign marketable players.

Italy will receive four guaranteed places (instead of two now) despite that they failed to get past the playoff round in nine of the ten past seasons. Madness.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not true. First of all, there have only been eight Champions Leagues with a Playoff Round. In 2007-2008, the last Champions League before the Playoff Round was created, Italy got four clubs starting in the Group Stage. Second of all, in the eight Champions Leagues with Playoff Rounds, Italian clubs have advanced twice, Fiorentina in 2009-2010 and AC Milan in 2013-2014.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  5. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes sorry it is my bad. It is a little bit different as I remembered from reading the newspaper indeed, although I'd say the general idea of my post still stands.

Since Calciopoli:

2006-07: YES, NO (two entered the last qualifying round, one made it)
    2007-08: YES
    2008-09: YES, YES (two clubs)
    2009-10: YES (on away goals)
    2010-11: NO
    2011-12: NO
    2012-13: NO
    2013-14: YES
    2014-15: NO
    2015-16: NO
    2016-17: NO

6. GunnerMan8705

GunnerMan8705 Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well the draw is set:

PSG - Barcelona
    Arsenal - Bayern
    Benfica - Dortmund
    Real Madrid - Napoli
    Bayer Leverkusen - Atl Madrid
    Man City - Monaco
    Porto - Juventus
    Leicester - Sevilla

Stick by what I said. Not a good draw for Arsenal, but I think they can make that interesting if they are healthy. Keep it close in Germany and nab an away goal. The Man City/Monaco game will be EXTREMELY fun to watch. Monaco is a lot like Leicester in that they can absorb a lot of pressure and then counter fast with the likes of Thomas Lemar, Falcao, Jao Moutinho, Mbappe Lottin, Bernardo Silva and Carrillo...and their back four have two very good shields in front of them in Fabinho and Bakayoko. Wouldnt be surprised if maybe they lost the first leg in Manchester but got a couple away goals. Man City's defense is EXTREMELY vulnerable to speed (just watch the highlights of the Leicester game). I am taking Monaco in that matchup. Other intriguing matchups are IMO Benfica/Dortmund, Porto and Juventus....and Leicester - Sevilla. Sevilla will extend against Leicester and it will open up holes for Vardy, Mahrez, Slimani and Musa to run through... I might be tempted to take Leicester there...

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With two clubs from the same country not allowed to face each other, the draw worked out that Leicester City and Sevilla were guaranteed to face each other before the balls were drawn because the group winners left at that point were Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, and Leicester City.

8. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Interesting draws, some of the English media reporting like Arsenal are out already but Bayern have not been as good as previous seasons, however I wonder if Ancelotti's Bayern might peak at the right time in March/April/May as opposed to Guardiola's Bayern team who seemed to peak in Sept/October/November and rarely hit that form again that season despite having the Bundelsiga wrapped up pretty early.

I would love to see one outside the dominate big 3 win, if not I would like to see Barca win it again, or even Bayern... in fact anyone as long as its not Real Madrid again !!!!!!!!

unclesox repped this.
  9. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't mind Madrid if they actually win it in style this time. Their last two victories left a bad taste.

I'd feel a bit more confident about Bayern if we get Cazorla back in time, and our key players are available.