Champcar 2006 [R]

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by nyrmetros, Mar 3, 2006.

1. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    To be 100% honest, I wouldn't have gone to a time-limited race that started just 16 cars (and ended with 10) if I hadn't received my tickets for free.

Expecting 45,000 people to pay money for that "show" is asking more than a lot.

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    blame the IRL. It's their fault.

3. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Is there any good recent ChampCar PC game ?

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Indycar Racing II - circa 1995.......

There is supposed to be a Champcar Racing sim in the works..... maybe check http://www.bhmotorsports.com/ for some news.

5. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    WTF is that ?

I can't believe there are people finding excuses for Tracy on this one or even blaming Bourdais for his move !

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  7. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    In France, we'd say Tracy retired from the race on a 'brain failure'...

Anyway, impressive reactions from the crowd there !

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    yes, they were really into it. Glad to see and hear.

9. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Paul Tracy being, well, Paul Tracy. Can't say I'm too surprised.

10. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  11. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Tracy is not either ! :eek:

http://sports.yahoo.com/cart/news;_...v7YF?slug=ap-champ-denvergp&prov=ap&type=lgns

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    haha gotta love Paul !!

13. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Massive crash by Katherine legge at Road America. Miraculously, she escapes completely intact. Phew. Had me scared lady...Nothing she could do about it as she lost her main wing's flap while entering the fastest corner of the circuit.

In other news, Almendinger takes the win in front of Wilson and Bourdais whose daring gamble at the end did not pay off. He exited the pits in P1 but had to let his place due to cold tyres.

Anyway, a Frenchman wins a championship on the other side of the Atlantic. Simon Pagenaud takes the trophy and the $2,000,000 that go with it. He can now eye on driving the brand new Panoz chassis in a decent team next year.

14. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    That was a MONSTER hit.

15. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I still haven't seen video of it. Thankfully she is allright based upon reports of that crash.

16. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Bourdais does it and takes his third championship in a row in Surfers Paradise where the eventual winner was compatriot Nelson Philippe for his maiden success (and youngest ever to win) in the series. Youpi ! :)

Given the fact that except if a miracle occurs, Bourdais won't be in F1 next year, I guess it's likely he'll try to take a fourth and become the first one to achieve that. This said, cars will be different next season so maybe Newman/Haas won't be that strong.

Bad news for some, there is apparently a contingent of French drivers to arrive in the ChampCar series since they can't get in F1 (no budget, no support). Pagenaud who won the atlantic series, maybe some former GP2 drivers continuing the F3000 tradition like Prémat or formula nippon star Treluyer. One might even add in a not so distant future Nelson's younger brother Richard. The thing is this championship is gaining some awareness in the French media even if Bourdais is not really a household name in the country yet.

17. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  18. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Thanks. :)

I've read that there might be a return of champCar on European soil next season. It's likely to be in Germany though (Oschersleben ?). I wish the series made a stop in Le Mans...Well, it's the closest from home. ;)

19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Well, CHampcar lost it's traditional American tracks :(

Effen I$L.........

20. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Holy crap, they found a Phoenix street course worse than the first one:

[​IMG]

This just has to stop. STOP with the street circuits. Just STOP IT.

21. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well, they do provide interesting racing if not driving but it's true I noticed this year there were quite a lot of those in the ChampCar series although I'd like to see a few more (one or two) in F1. It's all about balance I guess.

It seems that only a few oval courses will remain in a championship that still retains the particularity of racing on every type of circuit. Of course, the ideal would be to see the creation of more landmark road courses but these are really expensive, and more so if they're supposed to be permanent.

22. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    crikey !!

23. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Except most CART races are on street circuits. There are no ovals on the provisional schedule for 2007. CART's finally become what Tony George has been complaining about, a series which has left its roots. There won't be any Americans next year, and there aren't even a lot of Canadians left.

24. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    and the I$L has finally become a series which Tony George has been complaining about for years. Road courses with mega rich owners and lots of fuzzy foreigner drivers and multiple engine suppliers...... oh wait....... what the hell are we talking about ??

25. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Indycar racing is irrelevant in this country, it's just a matter of people putting aside their egos to stop the fall.

Did you see the IRL is racing at Mid-Ohio next year? That hurt. That's beating CART at their own game.