Chad Marshall named 2009 MLS Defender of the Year

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by MFRONE, Nov 5, 2009.

1. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Per Goff's Twitter:
    Congrats to Chad

2. CrewNoob

CrewNoob Member

May 7, 2008
    Huntington, WV
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would certainly say he deserved it. We're a much different team when he's on the field as opposed to when he was out injured.

3. CelticCrew

CelticCrew Member

Apr 23, 2007
    f-ton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outstanding!

4. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will bag one tonight just in honor of his award....and Im talking about a goal, not a crewzer....Hell get two of them, now Im talking crewzers.

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a nice award, but he did not play a fair part of the season--which I guess says something about the quality of the other defenders im MLS.

6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    When you're massive, you're massive.

7. FootyRef

FootyRef Member+

Apr 13, 2007
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you're the best, you're the best. He's certainly better than Hurtado and Cameron.

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhh, finally something that brings back some feeling of last season.

Great work, Mr. Marshall. :)

10. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  11. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    And thus concludes Chad Marshall's stay in MLS. Chad, when you come back at age 36, please call us first. Please?

12. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This was my first thought, too. But, maybe, one more season? Please? Just to make sure the knee works? Maybe?

But if he goes, I'm automatically a fan of whatever side he goes to. Unless somehow he ends up with Juventus or AC Milan. Then I would be in the right mood for a bat fight.

13. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the same thought regarding the injuries. When he got hurt this year I was thinking "well, maybe it will delay his move abroad..."

I just hope he goes to one of the better European leagues instead of Norway, Denmark, or any one of those leagues where the talent level is equivalent to MLS.

14. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I am not ready for a return to mediocrity which is going to happen should we lose him and whomever else to expansion and/or retirement. WE NEED A WIN TONIGHT!!!

15. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    Congrats to Chad, winning the award while still missing a chunk of the season says a lot about his skill.

I still think that he has one more year in MLS but who knows. That said, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he goes. He deserves a European contract a lot more than some of the other guys MLS has sent overseas.

16. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He signed a multi-year contract before the start of the season. It will take a decent amount of money to get him away from the Crew.

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which does not mean he's staying--MLS would have been smart to do this to get the transfer fee instead of nothing. However, I think he'll be around for a while. He's relatively old (for Europe to come calling), a defender, with an injury history, and an American. To add to that, he doesn't have a lot of caps, which is often a determinant as to whether he can get a work permit in countries that require one--unless he's got a European grandparent somewhere.

18. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It's up to the Crew to make that decision about selling him, I have a feeling they won't.

If he couldn't stick in a 2nd division European league last season I don't expect much to change after this one.

19. euroman 4

euroman 4 Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chad is a USA home boy and is going nowhere ever. He was out of contract last year and went on a trail at Mainz for leverage and signed a $300K deal. MLS always does 4 year deals so even if he wanted to go the league would ask some silly figure like $10 million or so. No he's a MLS lifer at this point.