CFU nicknames: What should Haiti's be?

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by FlashEP, Oct 26, 2007.

1. FlashEP

FlashEP New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    Jamaica (reggae boyz)
    Cuba (leones del caribe)
    Trinidad & Tobago (soca warriors)
    Grenada (spice boyz)
    Bahamas (rake & scrape boys)
    St. Vincent & the Grenadines (vincy heat)
    Barbados (bajans)
    Puerto Rico (boricuas)

I've heard people mention that supposedly Haiti's nickname are the "Grenadiers". I don't like it because it's an English name and we're not an English speaking country. If i had to choose a nickname for the Haitian team i'd call them the canons d'or which in English means golden cannons. I would call them that because on Haiti's coat of arms there are 2 golden cannons that protect the tree, it's like a symbol of unified force. That's my idea of a nickname, any thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. franckylito

franckylito New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    yeah i like that one, but i also heard yeye boyz and les onze nationals

3. touppouyo

touppouyo New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    'Grenadiers' is not an english word. Actually, there was a 'regiment' called "les Grenadiers" among the troops Napoleon sent to Haiti to regain control of the country. Later, the word became synonimous to 'warriors' in our creole language.
    For example, this popular song from the early 1800s is still well-known in Haiti:

"Grenadiers a l'assaut, sa ki mouri zafe a yo"

Technically, we should not be called 'Grenadiers' (French regiment sent to kill us) nor should we be called "pirates" as some have already suggested. French and British thieves were the pirates of the Caribbean, not our ancestors!

So, let's just be the 'Kings of the Caribbean' (lol). After all, we are the only Caribbean nation who have had King/Emperors and...also... we are really the KINGS of the Caribbean! If you don't believe me, ask our english-speaking cousins who have been forced to watch us on TV at every major concacaf competition this year! ONE LOVE! (lol)

4. haitian_fan

haitian_fan New Member

Apr 21, 2007
    I think we should ask Patrice Dumond for that nick name but I would call "les bleu et rouge" that represent our flag slogan and the soccer is the only thing that bring our flag high world wide after that is Wyclef Jean... but the latest name they give was "selection gaye pay la"....

5. FlashEP

FlashEP New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    i think it's a little too broad, we're not the only country that wears the blue and red. And besides, our more recent uniforms have been made up of mostly blue and white jerseys or just red and white.

yeye boyz and kompa warriors sounds too much like we're trying to copy Jamaica and Trinidad's nicknames. And Caribbean kings is definitely not going to work, as cool as it would sound. We've got to respect the rest of the Caribbean at the same time represent ourselves.

Of all the nicknames in the CFU, i like the Cubans' one. In English, their nickname means the Caribbean lions. It doesn't matter which country you're from, that sounds fierce.

I stand behind my choice.

6. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    Doesn't matter what you punks name yourselves when WCQ starts you will be eliminated early like you always are.

You've yet to beat the warriors or the reggaeboyz in WCQ. Remember the last time you faced the boyz, it was 1-1 in Miami then you were destroyed in the 1st half in Kingston courtesy of a marlon King hattrick. :)

7. FlashEP

FlashEP New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    ......um ok?, despite that comment having absolutely no relevance to this topic, good for you for naming what happened about 3 years. Good luck at the Olympics........oh wait! I'm sorry i forgot :eek:. oh well. But nice job on the Asian tour, Jamaica really made the rest of the Caribbean look great. For a second there I was really worried about our image.:cool:

Iran 8-1 Jamaica
    Malaysia 0-2 Jamaica
    Vietnam 3-0 Jamaica
    Indonesia 2-1 Jamaica
    *note that 3 out of these 4 teams are ranked way below the top 100

8. pace8

pace8 Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Miami and Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    well they played teams that are comparable in strength to them, lets not forget they are ranked 103rd.

9. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

Who cares about the olympics? Lemme tell you who does....haiti.:D All I care about is making the world cup finals in 2010. That is my dream for the boyz and for the soca warriors. Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago will rebound at the very least to make it out of the preliminary rounds in to the semis and more than likely the hex. Can you say the same for Haiti?:eek:

10. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    Really doesn't matter who is ranked better. At this point in time WCQ is more important.

Haiti is doomed once again and a ball hasn't been kicked yet.:D

11. pace8

pace8 Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Miami and Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Haha, Jamaica has no chance to make it to the HEX and right now trinidad either
    ( unless they can get their real players back). Teams like Guayana and SVG have a better chance than Jamaica right now. But i'm glad to see you're back to support the Haitians since all of you're posts have to do with Haiti. By the way, I read somewhere on the regeaboyz forum that the federation is trying to organise friendlies against top teams but can't. Is that true? Can that be because a game vs Jamaica is considered too easy for most teams ranked 1-125?

12. nfrancois

nfrancois New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Guys, i don't know why you're wasting your time answering that jerk warlord, don't you see he's a lost case because the more we reply on his email is the more time we gave him to talk trash.

13. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    how bout The Golden Gunners
    how do u say that in French?
    Artilleurs Dorés?

sounds better in English with the aliteration

14. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    - Dominican Republic (quisqueyenos)
    - St. Kitts and Nevis (sugar boyz)
    - I'm 99% positive that 'rake and scape boys' is a derogatory nickname that Bahamians don't use to describe their own team.
    - I also think that Barbados is either one of Bajan Pride or Bajan Rockets (there was a name change recently but I'm not sure which is the newer one)
    - I don't quite understand why Cuba decided to take lions as their nickname - it just doesn't go with the region.

- I always wondered how come Haiti didn't have a nickname; I would go for Jacobins, (I would prefer Jacobins Noirs, but I doubt this would be consensual) in reference to the singular history of the Island.

If you want to stay with the Gunners/Cannons image, Les Canoniers Dorés might roll off the tongue a bit better.

15. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    Pace8,

I'd like to think that you're more intelligent than that or maybe you aren't.;) Each of the last few qualifying cycles, both teams made it past each preliminary, semi finals and in recent trinidad made it past the hex.

Can you tell me when was the last time Haiti even made it out of the preliminary round.?:eek:

As i said before Jamaica n Trinidad will sort out the issues with players and the federation. We eat, sleep and breathe football more than you Haitians and other caribbean nations do so mi nuh worried.:p

16. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    I wouldn't talk if i were u. Haiti has nothing but ONE Carribean cup title in 16 years of the tournament!;)

Moreover, anyone with an ounce of knowledge regarding carribbean football knows that Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago always were the powerhouses in Caribbean.

Haiti hasn't reached or eclipsed those heights yet. Yea they got a bit better in recent times but WCQ history shows that you've NEVER beaten the "reds" or the "green and Gold" during qualification.

As I remember the last time we destroyed you in 30min in Kingston in WCQ the last time we met.:D

17. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    If you have nothing constructive to bring to the topic, the least you could do is go troll elsewhere.

18. touppouyo

touppouyo New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Messieurs, ne faites pas attention a ce chien. Ignorez-le.

How did the Cubans become 'lions' in the Caribbean? Since it's Halloween, maybe Darwin can come back from the deads to explain that sudden evolution to me.

Regarding Haiti, I would support the nickname 'Black Canons' or simply 'Les Canoniers' . Eventhough, I like the reference to our revolution in the nickname 'Jacobins Noirs', I think not many people would understand it.

(Just curious, Mid. Did you pick that nickname because it was given to us by a Trinidadian?:))

19. nloplo

nloplo New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    yo Warlord, you know that you are just saying that to make you feel better. You know what is the truth but you don't want to say it cause you're jealous about the fact that you're starting to be in the bottom of the caribbean.Too bad there are other teams that can replace you and do things that you cannot and maybe will never achieve again. And stop saying things that hapened 4years ago, what counts is the present and the present is: YOU SUCK.
    Mes Haitiens, ne l'occupent pas la verite blesse toujours.

20. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    I personally don't think a team nickname needs to be understandable per se to anyone except the fans that support it. I highly doubt most people outside of South Korea know what a Taeguk is, same goes for a palanca outside of Angola/Portuguese speaking countries, and if I have to remind you, TNT didn't have an easy time explaining the difference between soca and soccer.

I do think though that the word black may cause a problem for certain - Ghana gets away with it because of the colour of the star on the flag, and New Zealand's all whites get away with it because of the colour of their strips, but I don't think there is any black on the Haitian flag and the country has had enough racial tension as it is I think.

Another option is to do something like Racing Club des Lens, who are called les Sang et Or (Blood and Gold) after their traditional Red and Golden strips. What are the red and blue supposed to stand for in the Haitian flag ?

Well, I know of it because of CLR James book, but I think I always thought it was an indigenous reference. Plus I did a bit of French revolutionary history myself so I would've been aware of the term even without the book title.

21. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    I think you need to learn about Caribbean football history son. We have ruled and own you haitians for the longest of times. Its not only just the last decade or so. Maybe your countrymen haven't told you that;)

Haiti has forever been our biatches and more than likely will always be. Believe me I have NOTHING to be jealous of regarding Haitian football. Reggaeboyz and the Warriors have achieved more than you over the lifespan of you and the other haitians here. If anything you people are more inclined to be jealous of our success and the respect we have in Concacaf.:p

And finally. When Haiti got their asses handed to them by us, it was 3 years ago not a decade. if you're smart go back and research when was the last time Haiti has ever beaten a Warriors team or a Reggaeboyz team and lemm know what you find:D

22. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    Been away from the boards for a while and well its now time to start posting again. Especially with the qualifiers coming around a few months from now.:D

23. nloplo

nloplo New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Then that's why you guys had been giving so much good results in the last months:p?Iran 8-1 Jamaica
    Malaysia 0-2 Jamaica
    Vietnam 3-0 Jamaica
    Indonesia 2-1 Jamaica
    Or you can only play versus Haiti but when you face other teams you guys are waterboys instead of reggaeboys:p?

24. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    Everybody knows that Jamaica and Trinidad currently have issues with players and their respective federations so I'll take losing now if it means I'll be successful in the qualifiers next year.:)

Haiti has already overachieved over the last several months. They've hit their peak, but the reality of failure will hit you when June 2008 rolls around. If you think I'm kidding wait and see for yourself.:D

25. FlashEP

FlashEP New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    thanks midknight, Les Canoniers Dorés sounds alot better. I found the nickname for the Bahamas right off CONCACAF.com so someone should contact them.

I think we can all agree about how corrupt the CFU is. In the past 2 years, there have been CFU events that have been reformated, while the competition is underway. While it seems sometimes that teams like Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago have been given too much advantages over teams like Haiti and Cuba especially when it comes to playing matches over in those countries that are two of the three largest countries in the Caribbean. Stade Sylvio Cator is one of the best footballing facilities in the region, even Bermuda's U-20 coach admitted it.

[​IMG]
    Stade Sylvio Cator (inside)

Right now the stadium only has a capacity of 15,000 but it is planning to undergo expansion especially with the WCQ coming up.

[​IMG]
    Stade Sylvio Cator (outside)

And finally, last time i checked the USA isn't part of the Caribbean so why can't Cuba host any competitions. El Estadio Pedro Marrero in Havana would be an excellent site to play at.