CFU Club Rankings List

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by DaSage, Jan 1, 2009.

1. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
    Well... I open this thread so you guys can comment on the new edition, and the upcoming ones in March and May. March because the CFU Champions Cup starts and because the quaterinals for the Champions League will have passed. My because some leagues end during May.

hope this list is of some use for you guys, I've worked on it since September.

http://futbolboricua.blogspot.com/2009/01/cfu-club-rankings-list-enero-2009.html

Dont worry the article is bilingual!

2. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Interesting to say the least, and I applaud your effort.....
    BUT...I strongly disagree with the formula you used.

The likes of Harris Paint Harlem United & Club Franciscain being as high as they are?
    Did you take into account the strength of their domestic leagues? I mean if either of those clubs played in JA, TnT, Haiti, USL, they'd be bottom feeders (no offense to them)...but stength of the league has to be considered.

I know rankings are difficult to do using a formula, as you have to take so many things into account, and of course it's very difficult to get a majority to agree with a rankings, but I think this one needs to be purged and redone. It just doesn't make sense that a club from Aruba is ranked above some of the bigger CFU clubs :confused:

Applaud you for the effort, but the formula should be adjusted.

Off topic...(BTW: since I've been asking everyone from PR, where can I get an Islander jersey!!! I have some friends in Orocovis, but they said they've never seen anywhere to be able to purchase it)

3. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
    Ok I'll explain this over here since the last time I explained it was in the Islanders Forum. The reason why some teams are in the places they are, though we would like to disagree, its because the formula takes into account the history behind the teams. Some teams, like the ISlanders have very little history but progressed a lot, some with a lot of history have almost nothing. So, if you read the base points, you'd figure that as more teams go participating in the CFU Champions Cup and the CONCACAF Champions League, and progress through its stages they will go up in rank, wheras the less active teams will go down.

National League points are based at 15, so a team with many national Championships will have a high record. Remember you're just seeing the result of the math. I've made sure to research their history thoroughly. The formula is not perfect, and I wil be tweeking it everytime the list comes out so as to make it more accurate to the reality of the caribbean. With that said, I think this list is useful. You might not agree with some of the rankings, but when does everyone ever agree on the same thing? In fact I saw the FIFA lists about leagues, and I disagree with SPain being the 5th league of the world... Anyways, remember that this list need more Champions Leagues to go by, and that Caribbean teams to pass the stages.

The reason why Islanders is 7th in the Caribbean with so short of a history is because of the Champion's League bonuses for passing a stage.

PD: To buy an Islanders Shirt you got to go to Juan Ramon Loubriel Stadium, its the only place where they sell them. They havent put them online yet... we fans constantly grumble about this to the Admin.

4. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    I agree that there should be some sort of weighting as to the strength of the league. This would, in my opinion, give a more accurate projection of the acutal strenght of teams. There should be enough information from the previous Concacaf Champions Cup, CFU Club Championships & this years Champions league to come up with this weighting.
    The only problem with this is that certain countries such as Haiti for instance haven't participated regularly and others such as Puerto Rico have only recently joined the fray.

5. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    I hear you, and based on the formula you used, this ranking is good.
    I'm just saying that the formula MUST take into account strength of the leagues.
    If this is a ranking of how many titles a club has captured then it's fairly accurate, but to try and rank teams, strength of the league MUST be taken into account.

For example: You have CRKSV Jong Colombia ranked somewhere around in the high 20s and you have Arnett Gardens ranked somewhere in the high 70s
    Yet when those 2 clubs played Arnett won 13:1 on aggregrate.
    Or L'Etoile de Morne-à-l'Eau is ranked 11th and United Petrotrin in the 50s, yet United have won a CFU AND in their 1 match, United defeated L'Etoile 7:1.

Basically I'm saying is that a title won in Aruba or Dominica should not be weighed the same was one won in Jamaica or Trinidad.

Of course EVERY ranking system WILL have their criticisms as it's impossible to please everyone unless every team played every team and a other heap of variables. But to make this some what reliable, to where people are arguing between a 2-5 positional rankings instead of a 30-40 positional rankings, the strength of the league has to be included.

6. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Yea, which makes this even tougher for Sage

7. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
    Thanks for the input... For the next list I shall amke the adjustments.. thinking of awarding a +1 for teams in Jamaica, Haiti, Cuba, and T&T and a .5 for teams playing in Puerto Rico and some of the other caribbean islands... you should mention some of the Islands you think should get .5

8. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Give me a couple days and I could :)
    Just need to go back and do some research so I say who should get a lower multiplier AND also my reason for thinking so

Oh and thanx for the info on the jersey, I was in PR for a week in October and looked EVERYWHERE I went for it and couldn't find it. I did see one hanging in a store in the airport, but it was closed =( I'm gonna see if mi gente love mi enough to drive down to Bayamon to get it for me :D

9. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
    That be awesome if you could collaborate with me on that, since I do the list by myself. But according to how I've worked out the formula, in its simplest form, you can't subtract only add. Therefore all I could do is add more points to the teams from the corresponding leagues, like Haiti, Jamaica, T&T, and Cuba. Since Puerto Rico is now surfacing as a Caribbean power it still has a long way to go before I can add equal amount of points (talking about the Puerto Rico Soccer League, USL is a whole different matter, and would be considered apart.)

10. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
    I've also forgot to mention that the next list comes oput in March for 2 reasons.

1. The Champions League's Quartefinals will be over and will know if Islanders has passed to the Semis, which means another bonus for passing stage.

2. Since the list was updated in December adding the potential appearances by the different clubs in the CFU Champions Cup, there might be some of them thast drop out or decline to assist, in which case it is the only situation where points are substracted from their obtained total. So, if that happens and another club taskes their place that club receives the points.

11. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
    Well like I predicted.. not al the teams that qualified are going to play the CFU therefore the only situation were one would subtract points has just occured. Anyhow... I-got-the-blues, let me know what percentage of points should be awarded to the top leagues: (T&T, Cuba, Haiti, Jamaica, and Puerto Rico (the latter would only receive half of the percentage awarded to the rest.)

12. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.

What's good with the update?

13. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
  14. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
  15. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
  16. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
    National championships are no longer taken into consideration. Only International competitions. This was done so as to make it fair, because we cannot compare the T&T Pro league to the Guyana league.

The best comparison can only be determined in international competitions, so we discarded the national Championships. Besides you had team that had around 30 national championships, but had never, or had rarely participated form the CFU Champions Cup.