CFU Club Championship

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by FlashEP, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlashEP

FlashEP New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    well i guess then our U-21, U-17, and senior teams have had enough "pocket change" to travel to Trinidad & Tobago and handle their business.

More fans would come to games played in Cuba or Hispaniola(Haiti & DR). The game's popularity is building in spanish speaking countries. Besides if not by the game's popularity, just by population. The countries of Cuba, DR, and Haiti all hold at least 8 million citizens each, that's larger then countries like Scotland and New Zealand. If Digicel helps fund the next Caribbean Cup then it will definitely be either Cuba or Haiti's turn......no doubt.

2. chec

chec Member

Feb 9, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    It would be good for the game if these countries would host the cup.
    About 8 years ago before T&T built the four stadiums a vistiting reporter asked Warner , why T&T is always hosting the CFU? Warner said because no one else wants too. So maybe other countries have to let the CFU know that thay are willing to be host. Cuba , Haiti and DR would be wonderful host countries .

3. touppouyo

touppouyo New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    You're quite funny. You probably associate a poor country with a poor man :eek:

Haiti is richer than Nigeria. Does that mean we have more money than they do? Isn't Bermuda richer than USA? Do they have more money than the Americans to built expensives sport facilities? Where do you think there is more money in circulation in Jamaica or in Turks and Caicos?

Before you start blablabla, do me a favor, think a thousands times because thinking twice won't be enough in your case. :eek:

4. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Just to be an ass im gonna say no Caribbean nation has more money than PR :) there competition is over you all lost. Now get back on track.

5. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    At this point in time I would love any other country to host Caribbean tournaments but as chec said and as I suspect as well, no one is willing to do this regularly except Trinidad and Tobago. Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying that other countries are incapable of doing it, it just is not worth it for them to do so, in fact it is somewhat of a burden to host these tournaments. You guys are only looking at this from a fans point of view sure the fans of Haiti, Cuba DR Puerto Rico and the rest would love the tournament to be held there and maybe big crowds could be drawn in Haiti but you have to remember the logistics required to even host a small tournament like this. I guarantee you that it is more likely for this kind of tournament to gross a loss. Not many countries are willing to or are able to handle this. So go ahead and keep saying the only reason Trinidad wins is because we play at home if it makes you feel any better. Haiti can actually boast even more cuz they've actually beaten us at home but I guess just judging by the law of probability that that was bound to happen eventually seeing as we always play in Trinidad right. Remember it takes two hands to clap, someone in the federations of these other countries is either letting Jack have his way and is letting Trinidad host whenever we want (possible) or (more likely I feel) none of them are willing to take the risk of hosting this tournament at least not regularly.

6. FlashEP

FlashEP New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    i'm sry kid, but that isn't THEIR money.

7. chec

chec Member

Feb 9, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    The issue is not which island has more money. It is which one's are willing to host CFU events. I am sure that Haiti , DR , Cuba and P.Rico can all do it.
    It will benefit all of CFU if more countries host events.

8. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

9. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    It comes down to economics. The reason you haven't host a CFU tourney is because you simply cannot afford to.:eek:

Now if the Digicel which funds your NT decides to give your FA money then you may get a chance to do so but until then you can't:p

10. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    Chec,

This is about economics and having proper infrastructure. Let's be honest, how many island nations can (a) afford to realistically host this tournament..have their FA foot the entire bill. (b) have the stadia to host these teams.;)

11. El Daly

El Daly Member

May 28, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Well, PR was doing so but the team does not progress to final round. We have the infrastructure (Sixto Escobar stadium 18K & Juan R Lubriel 15K) and money. But, the main problem that PR has is the visa issue. For that reason I prefer several big countries run the competition at same time. I believe that the use of US Virgin Island was a mistake, no soccer tradition and no significant population to fill the stadium.

12. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    I agree that group should have played in sixto excobar, alongside the group that played in JRL, and with the modifications done to the Paquito Montaner Stadium in Ponce we could have hosted 3 groups :)

13. FlashEP

FlashEP New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    nah, not in Puerto Rico.......there's no soccer history there or actual high interest in the game. Besides, if PR was allowed to advance all the way to the final round as hosts, another country's team which is better would be screwed, just like what happened to Haiti at the 2005 Digicel Caribbean Cup in Barbados. It would make more sense to let Cuba host it or let Haiti and Dominican Republic joint host it.

14. El Daly

El Daly Member

May 28, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Man, I don't agree with you. First CFU & Digicel is not the same. I know that we are new in professional soccer but with assistance of 5K to 11K at the Islanders’ games are good enough to this. In the other hand, our team was 3 weeks old and almost wins the game with W Connection (the future champion of the CFU). You could seed in the statistic; we just were out of luck. Man, don’t worry, will talk in the next championship.;)

15. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    I'm not too sure what u mean by your first statement but The digicel cup is the CFU's top tournament. The winner is the Caribbean Football Unions Champion they are the same in that respect.

On another note, is Puerto Rico allowed to play in this tornament, were they invited and declined or not invited at all, that I would like to know?

16. touppouyo

touppouyo New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Through the eyes of a Bermudian who's been in Haiti (keep in mind that Bermudians in general consider all caribbean nationals poor and unwelcomed in bermuda, specially Jamaicans):

Haiti proves they are the best team in Caribbean Digicel Football tourney

By Paul Scope

Monday, January 29, 2007

The just concluded Digicel Caribbean Cup turned out to be a great success for the Caribbean Football Union and the sponsors, Digicel.

Digicel received worldwide exposure due to television highlights and local exposure throughout the Caribbean with group stages being held in Antigua, Barbados, Cuba, Curacao, Guyana, Jamaica, Martinique, St. Thomas, Surinam and Trinidad.

The crowd for the final in Port of Spain was 18,000 - very respectable for this region.

We almost hosted the playoff group here in early December, only for it to be scuppered by Dominican Republic and Haiti players being denied entry to the U.S. and therefore making the cost of travel to Bermuda prohibitive in the eyes of the CFU.

Their decision to move the playoff group to Trinidad (after the Bermuda Football Association stood firm against a switch to Haiti) proved decisive with Dominican Republic ironically pulling out, this time for economical reasons and Haiti having the time to prepare for a full three weeks in Trinidad before the games against Bermuda.

By contrast, the current amateur nature of our game, meant that our players returned to playing domestically, with the inevitable exposure to injuries.

At the end of the day, the best team won, as confirmed by Haiti going on to win the overall competition, but the hastily arranged two-legged affair, certainly reduced our giant-killer chances.

Haiti's preparation, with the two games in Trinidad against us would have helped enormously, was probably a factor in their success.

However, evidenced by their triumph, they are a good side and certainly a powerhouse in the Caribbean. With 9 million people and no rival sports to speak of - no cricket or baseball - they will always be a force in this region. Having been there recently with the Under-20s, I can attest that whilst conditions in Haiti are generally desperate, their football facilities are actually of a high standard.

A big part of the aid they receive must go into football. Basically, they are fulltime professionals.

The beaten finalists Trinidad also fall into the fulltime pro categories, although for this competition they relied on their "local" pros and didn't bring back their overseas based stars.

It will be a different story for the Gold Cup which both Trinidad and Haiti qualified for along with beaten semi-finalists, Cuba and Guadeloupe.

For Guadeloupe, the Gold Cup will be a rare chance to play in a high level FIFA competition, because as a "department" of France they are not members of FIFA.

Their sister "department", Martinique, also did well in this Digicel, actually beating Haiti along the way (albeit 1-0 in Martinique) and qualifying for the final stage.

Guyana were another team that did very well (they also hosted a group stage) and in Nigel Coddrington, they arguably had the player of the tournament. Coddrington was also the leading scorer of the competition with 10 goals.

St. Vincent and the Grenadines (the only other team to beat Bermuda) showed they were still a force to be reckoned with although their aging team will need a revamp.

Their excellent Serb coach has had the Vincy Heat playing at a high level for the past four years.

Barbados had a good run, hosting a group stage and on the back of their excellent captain, Norman Forde and their recently discovered Bajan/ pros Paul Iffel and Mark McCrammon who were been born and bred in England.

Ultimately, the absence of these two pros - who play for Crystal Palace and Doncaster Rovers respectively - cost them in the finals where they failed to get out of the group which included Trinidad and Haiti.

Bermuda's draw against Barbados, in Barbados, was arguably our best performance in the Digicel.

Reduced to 10 men and 1-0 after only three minutes due to Timmy Figeureido's harsh sending off, we showed a lot of guts and skill to equalise and almost got the win we deserved that would have put us straight in the finals without the need to get over the Haiti barrier.

The 4-0 trouncing of Bahamas was also an impressive performance with Keith Jennings and Kwame Steede really gelling well in our midfield. Sadly, Keith's absence due to injury proved crucial in the games against Haiti.

Other Bermuda players who shone during the campaign, were both of the goalkeepers used, Figureido and Nigel Burgess. Stan Lewis (before he too was injured in a domestic game), Kevin Richards and the always excellent John Nusum.

Other players, such as Darius Cox, Jelani Scott and Domico Coddington established themselves as international players and we now have a good group of motivated players with a good team spirit.

The hope is that whoever is in charge of the National Team in the future, can build on the progress Kyle has undoubtedly made.

Paul Scope was Bermuda's assistant national football coach during the Digicel Cup campaign.

17. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    whats up with these snobby bermudans?

18. touppouyo

touppouyo New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Read the Royal Gazette of Bermuda online and you will get to know them.

19. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    How can Haiti after ONE CFU title suddenly become a powerhouse in CFU?:rolleyes:

That statement alone obviously tells me that this individual doesn't know anything about the last 30 years of Caribbean football!:eek:

And I don't know for a fact how good your facilities are for me to make any statement about it but to host a tournament your facilities would have to be fully inspected and pass all CFU/FIFA requirements before getting the nod. Also a point you should be aware of is the fact that it costs alot of money to host a tournament which is something your FA/Nation doesn't have;)

20. FlashEP

FlashEP New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    who cares about the last 30 years?! i kno i don't lol. All that matters is NOW, and right NOW the Haitians are the crowned champions of the Caribbean....we got the trophy to prove it

[​IMG]

21. chec

chec Member

Feb 9, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Haiti has some good facilities, they should be more than able to host this tournament. It would be nice if they defend thier crown at home.
    as far as cost maybe the CFU can help with that.

I would be more than happy if T&T can regain our crown on haiti soil.

22. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    That does matter because you only have one title in 30 years.:eek: You don't get coined a powerhouse in CFU by only winning once. You have to be at the top consistently like Jamaica and Trinidad have over the last 2 decades as well as advance from preliminary round of World Cup Qualifying. That is something you haven't even done. When was the last time you even got to the semi-final round or the hexagonal:p

23. FlashEP

FlashEP New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    no it REALLY doesn't matter, this Caribbean Cup was the biggest and most successful competition the Caribbean has ever had, more exposure too. So whatever you claim yall have achieved in the past is kinda irrelevent, you can continue to dwell on the past, we'll get ready for the Gold Cup.

24. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

Keep on thinking that. Haiti has only proven that they were the best at this year's digi cup. Until you win consistently and eclipse the success of the big teams you will always be considered a 'challenger' like the Cubans;)

25. FlashEP

FlashEP New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    hey i can deal with that, however the only thing Haiti and Cuba are challengers of is for the upcoming Gold Cup, that's what matters. The Caribbean's best, Central America's best, and the big 3 North American countries in a CONCACAF showdown, i can't wait:D. With the most of our overseas players returning such as Jean Philippe Peguero, Jamil Jean Jacques, Fabrice Noel, Jean Jacques Pierre, and Herold Marc Gracien then i do like our chances to cause some trouble this summer.