CFA confirms 2018 World Cup bid

Discussion in 'China' started by Suvlaco, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Suvlaco

Suvlaco Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    www.sinosoc.com

'Tis interesting, could be good for the game in China, although it's a long way into the future.

2. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    China should be automatic front runner for this. I think there's a bit of a problem hosting the WC regionally in that certain regions (Asian and Africa) are lacking countries that could seriously be considered as hosts. The Asian region is vast, but outside of China/Korea/Japan (and now Australia), who could be a serious host of the tournament? Iran could probably host one day, but I think we're far removed from that point in time. A few Gulf states could combine and put in a decent joint bid. Beijing will be set up right and the stadiums in Tianjin and Chengdu should still be in decent shape. Shanghai would probably use Shanghai Stadium instead of Hongkou (yes?) and would require only some minor improvements. Any other venue (that is currently in existence) would require major overhauling. I think the only thing hurting China's bid is that the last "Asian" WC was in Korea-Japan, so they might want to change things up.

3. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Fabuloooooooooooooous!! But its 12 years away so thats a scary thought of how old we will all be by then ... a full cycle in the zodiac...

But the problem is European competition - 2010 is in africa and 2014 is likely to be in Brazil so Europe will go 3 cups w/o it if they dont win 2018, seems too long as most of the controlling powers are from europe...

4. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    I don't think there will be any Euro competition. I am pretty sure the WC is officially supposed to rotate between the continents. 2006 is in Europe, 2010 is in Africa, 2014 will be in the Americas, 2018 in Asia, and then 2022 would be back in Europe...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

5. Suvlaco

Suvlaco Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    That's right Cheng, that's how it is meant to work. I think I read that Australia was interested in the 2018 World Cup so I suspect we would be the major rivals for the bid.

6. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well FIFA promised rotation of the continents but the major argument is does it have to go across all. i.e.: a lot of american fans are arguing why 2018 shouldnt be in USA since NA and SA and different continents and the last time it was in NA was 1994 compared to 2002 for asia. BUT keep in mind the major money for the WC is still in europe. Thats why the kick off time is usually created to cater their needs so dont be suprised to see it go back to europe. I'd be over the moon if china gets it... it just may be their ticket to the 2nd ever WC finals.... (jk... well I hope they return sooner)

7. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Haha, who listens to the stupid American soccer fans??? It makes absolutely no sense to claim that it should "rotate" to North America when there are only 3 countries (US, Mexico, Canada) that would really have a legitimate shot at ever hosting a WC. If you add South America to that, then you come closer to the possible hosts in othe regions.

8. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Thats true but dont forget $$$$ you can sell out most games for the wc to americans alone, good seats to the nhl nba mlb and nfl makes the wc category 1 tickets look cheap, they would be snapped up in minutes ... and Europeans and South Americans would rather visit the US than East Asia - easier to travel to and from, similar culture, food, language barrier is a little easier.

Also people are more willing to spend on the official merchandise. I was at those European Club tours the past few summers and I was suprised at how many people shelled out $75 for the jerseys on sale at the games. I just dont see that kind of spending in China.

Of course a US bid is not without flaws- distance between venues heat security concerns etc.

Plus USA and Mexico have been doing good at the cups - at least as good if not better than what Asian teams have done with the expection of Korea in 2002.

9. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    I don't think most of these points count for very much. No matter where the WC is held, its going to sell out, and do so fast. I'm not sure if there is any preference amongst Euro soccer fans to travel to the US instead of Asia, esepcially considering how cheap the beer is in China, which is probably the most important thing to most fans, hehe. Americans are more than willing to shell out the cash at events, but I think you're underestimating the Chinese. Those who buy tickets to the games will definitely also go in for the official merchandise. Then again, it was many years ago, but the official merchandise at WC94 consisted of hats and tshirts, nothing too expensive.