"Cercle Brugge goes American" - Andy Lubahn and Patrick Lane

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by johan derksen, Jul 16, 2008.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update. Given the scoreline I bet it was a wide open, end to end affair. Sucks Lane give up 3 goals but you can't judge a performance based on how many let in just how many he kept out. Pretty sweet Lubahn bagged a brace. That will always catch the eye of the fist team manager. Both seem to be fitting in well at Cercle and I hope it continues.

2. cercleappelsientje

cercleappelsientje New Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Bruges, BE
    I didn't see the game, but I read at one moment Cercle was 4-0 in front and they almost gave it away. The next home game of our reserves is against city rivals FC Bruges. I hope I can take some pictures then to share with you guys.

3. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Any update with Andy Lubahn and Pat Lane?

4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patrick has been on every match day roster this season as the #2. IIRC, he's plays in the reserves when it hasn't conflicted with 1st team matches. I just took a look at their reserve team's results and it appears Andy has started a handful of matches and come off the bench in handful as well though lately he hasn't seen much time.

5. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Thanks man! Repped.

6. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    First choice goalkeeper Bram Verbist is out for the season so Lane will make his Cercle debut next saturday. :)

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be damned. That's great news! Well, for Lane at least. ;) Looks like the GK will be out for 4 weeks with a broken wrist which happened last game but he was able to play on. Cercle have 2 matches left, home and away. This is wonderful opportunity for Lane. I'm excited for him. Please gave us and update to how he shows.

8. DrunkyV

DrunkyV New Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mvann, you might be one of my favorite posters with your knowledge of some of the more obscure Yanks Abroad. It is much appreciated!

Repped again!

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! For some reason I'm drawn to obscurity. I like obscure leagues, teams, and players in all sports. Soccer, obviously much, much more than other sports. Of course Dave Nachison-Marino is the king of kings with it come to YA obscurity! :D Seriously, these guys deserve all the press the can get. It's been hard enough to forge a career so the least I can do is pay attention. Lane's an interesting player who popped up in Europe via Loyola Marymount and on Friedel's recommendation. If Friedel's going to go out on a limb to help this kid out there must be a good degree of talent. I don't know how Lane is exactly progressing but considering he's been on the roster for every league match says something positive. Cercle Brugge gets lost in the shuffle of their crosstown rival but they've produced their fair share of players so Lane's in the right place. I'll be rooting him on these last two match days.

10. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Awesome news! Let us know how he does.

Props to m vann too. He's good.

11. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have heard of Pat Lane, and am wondering why I don't hear him mentioned anywhere in NT conversations.

I am not, I repeat, AM NOT in the bring him in right now for no reason at all camp, but in terms of anyone who is apart of that group, wouldn't this guy fit the bill? First team action in a very respecable league in Europe?

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now Patrick's stuck in the "in-between" age. He turns 21, in July, making him ineligible for the U-2O WC. It's a shame too because I think Lambo is the only professional GK in the pool and he's one of the youngest at just a hair over 18. By the time the Olympics roll around Patrick, whether Blatter changes the age limit or not, will be too old as well. I think these two games are pretty vital for Patrick. I profess I don't know too much about Cercle's keeper, Verbist, but I looked it up an he initially signed a 1-yr. deal in '07 and re-upped last summer for this year. So maybe he's on a 1-yr. rolling contract, I don't know. If that's the case I say that favors Patrick long term. If he lays claim to the #1 shirt next season and shows signs of progression it will be wise for USSF to keep tabs on him. It helps to have Friedel in your corner, too.

13. delane123

delane123 New Member

May 6, 2009
    Club:
    Cercle Brugge KSV
    He actually turns 21 in August.

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy Europeans, I always forget you use a different date system!! I saw 07/08/88. Silly me, I should have known! :D

Since you are a Cercle supporter gives a little insight into Lane's development. I know he's firmly been the #2 all season, has been of the match day rosters, and has occasionally suited up for the reserves. But other than that it's been hard to keep track of his development. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, what the sentiment on Verbist? he seems to have been a journeyman of sorts. Is the long-term solution of does Lane have a shot at #1?

15. lilking24

lilking24 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really shocked Pat has made it so far. I remember just a few years ago when he was playing in Cal South. I thought he was a good keeper, but he definitely wasn't the best in that region. Kudos to the kid for his hard work.

16. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes its better to have good connections than talent.

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe in this instance good connections gets you hooked up with folks that exploit the talent he didn't know he had. Either way it never hurts to know someone especially if it's Friedel.

18. delane123

delane123 New Member

May 6, 2009
    Club:
    Cercle Brugge KSV
    He has always been a stud. He made it this far because of his drive and work ethic. He will have a great career. I look forward to seeing it.

19. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    does anybody think that delane is Lane himself?

20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't doubt this one bit. I was just merely pointing out connections can get you in the door. It's pretty obvious once you get there it's left to the player to succeed. I'm very intrigued with Lane's progress and career. I just heard his name in passing before he headed across the pond. I'm interested him how he plays, what his strengths and weaknesses are, and what his chances of becoming the #1 are. Few have around here have seen Lane play. Basically we know little. Since you seemingly know about his game please share. we are curious. I think it says a lot that he's 20, made the trek across the pond to a reputable team and league, dressed out for every match, and seems to have a strong hold as the back-up. I know many of us will be paying attention to these 2 matches he will start to close the season.

21. Academy Fan

Academy Fan New Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Castaic, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DELane is probably Derrick, Patrick's brother. Which in no way takes away from Patrick's talent. Lane's father also played between the pipes for Leed's United way back when...good genetics.

I wish Patrick all the best and look forward to following his career.

22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately Lane did not make his 1st team debut today. Glen De Boeck, Cercle's manager, went with 18 yr. old Jo Coppens. Cercle Brugge did win, however, a 2-1 triumph over KVC Westerlo. I'm hoping De Boeck gives Lane a shot next weekend to close out the weekend. With nothing to play for it wouldn't be too far fetched that De Boeck gave both a game.

23. delane123

delane123 New Member

May 6, 2009
    Club:
    Cercle Brugge KSV
    I dont believe that Pat is going to be playing for cercle next year. That is the reason he didnt play.

24. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Where is he going to be playing?

25. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States