Celtic summer transfer thread 2008. Bye Bye Artur(?), Hello....?

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by frasermc, May 14, 2008.

1. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    lets start it off with the revelation that we've made an offer believed to be around €5m(just under £4mill) for Dinamo Zagreb defensive midfielder and Croatian international Ognjen Vukojević.

Vukojevic also has an eye for goal. he's scored 11 times this season for Dinamo and has also scored for Croatia on his debut.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/celtic/news.asp?n=32255

there's a good chance he could see playing time at the EURO's so hopefully we get this deal done before it starts.

begs the question though. what will happen to Sno and Donati in a congested central midfield area.

2. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    They both should go, i haven't seen any of the potential from Sno inregards to why he was brought to this club. As far as Donati is concerned see my ealier comments.

3. camerondocherty

camerondocherty New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    nj
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    if craig gordon was 9 mil then artur boruc should be much more then the reported 11 mill.

4. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    lol

5. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    bitter

6. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    About what?

If Boruc goes for "much more" than £11 million, I'll hold my hands up. If not, I'm right.....as usual.

7. camerondocherty

camerondocherty New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    nj
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    im not saying he will go for "much more", but if 9 million is the going rate for a keeper like craig gordon then boruc should go for about 14-15 mil IMO.

8. Redondo85

Redondo85 Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Scotland
    Personally i think he would make a great addidtion to Celtic, and as it says in the article while having an eye for goal he is also a very physical and hardworking player (in the air particulary). So he would a great foil to Robson, Brown, Hartley etc.

That being said he is more or less replacing Niko Kovac in the Croatian side and i expect a lot of clubs to be looking at him so they'll be a lot competition for his signature.

9. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    His value will be determined by what clubs are willing to pay for him though. If he's worth £15 million, chances are, someone would pay that. But nobody will pay £15 million for Boruc, that would be insane.

10. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I don't see clubs paying 15m for Boruc, 12M is a more realistic value but that value could change post Euro08.

11. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    oh, i see how it is, you're too good to use the genric transfer thread i started.:p

12. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    i have no idea what the word 'genric' means. :p

anyways, you're usually the first person not to want to be associated with anything to do with Celtic so i started this thread for your benefit.. ;)

13. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    oh thanks, i guess...

:eek:

14. G-Hammer

G-Hammer New Member

May 16, 2008
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Boruc is not worth over £10 Million. He's a solid keeper, and should he go Celtic are sure to make a healthy profit, but realistically he's worth about £6 Mil tops. He's a fairly good shot stopper but his handling is questionable, his dealings with crosses are competant at best and he has no control (or it seems respect) over his defence. He's cost them 2 (and almost 4) Old Firm games, which is about as damning as you can get.

15. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    not to mention his antics:rolleyes:

16. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    obviously you have a baised view on this, as do i. market values dictate prices and when the big fish such as Milan and from what i've heard Manchester Utd are on the lookout then the value tends to rise.

i do believe that if, or when Artur leaves it will be for a double figure sum around the £10-11mill mark. Peter Lawell has shown that he's been quite shrewd in the transfer market when we've sold players and i'd expect that to continue with Boruc.

the way you've described him would have him marked as around the 4th or 5th best keeper in the SPL at present which just isn't the case. hell his display last week against Hibs was outstanding and a major reason why we still have a shot at the title.

i do concede that he messed up on Ehiogu's goal but i'm not sure what other errors he's committed against Rangers. i thought he could have done better when Kris Boyd eventually got off the mark against us but you were already leading that game anyway if i remember correctly.

anyway, i suppose time will tell on what sort of fee we receive.

17. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  18. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    no Vukojevic for Celtic as he's joined Dynamo Kiev for around £6.5mill.

that's a lot of money and too much for us to compete with. i think that WGS did want Vukojevic so it's a pity he's off the list now but i'm sure there will be others in line.

once it went public then the danger was always there that other clubs would get involved.

19. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    papers keep trying to link us in a battle with Rangers for the signature of Kyle Lafferty. as far as i'm concerned they're welcome to him. anytime i've seen him i've been less than impressed and for the sky high fee that Burnley want i think he'd be a huge bust.

hopefully WGS has his sights set on other strikers if we don't make Samaras's move a permanent one.

20. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    still no definite news on Samaras. Man City want the deal done as they try and recoup some money through him and Bianchi. £3mill is a decent price to pay for Gorgious seeing as he is only 23yrs old and should conceivably improve as time goes on.

but will he accept having to start the new season as no.3 striker behind Skippy and JVoH?

---------------------

reports from Massimo Donati's agent suggest that there are a few Serie A clubs monitoring his situation closely with a view to taking him back to his homeland. i'm in the pro-Donati camp. he started the season well and considering he's moved to a foreign country with a totally different style of football i think he deserves another season to see if he can adapt more to the style of the SPL.

he's got the technical ability. he just needs to acclimatise to the pace of the game in Scotland.

21. The Tartan Hoop

The Tartan Hoop New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Near Glasgow
    I read today that Celtic are looking into Derby Left Back Jay McEvely (sp?) - estimated £500,000.

I saw him play for scotland before and i think he looked pacey, alert and egar. Hopefully he would be just that at Celtic, i'd like to see this move go ahead. Also, being Scottish chances are McManus and Caldwell will remain so we would have 3 in the defensive line up which is good.

____

Also, i hope the Samaras deal is done and dusted ASAP before we miss out. We can't let someone with Samaras pace, skill and height slip through our fingers he would give the strikers a good run for their money. Also, we still got Ben Hutchinson to think about also.

22. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    three new rumours today, well, one is as old as the hills.

1) Harry Kewell from Liverpool on a bosman. now i ain't sure how much he's getting at Anfield but it seems a bit implausible that we'd throw money at a guy that could, quite conceivably, be injured for the entire season.

i don't think this one will go far, but you never know.

2) Zander Diamond from Aberdeen. he's a Celtic fan as everyone now knows thanks to the wonder of youtube and i can only imagine this is the main reason why we've been linked to him.

don't see it happening either.

3) Shaun Maloney. *sigh* ..... he was back in Scotland to meet up with the squad so he gets asked the usual questions and runs out the usual answers.

i said my piece on Shaun back in January and before then as well...

23. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    not sure myself about McEveley. i think there are better left backs to be had, but pricier at the same time.

24. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    three more rumours today.

1) firstly. not a rumour as such. Stephen Pressley will be a free man after today as his contract officially finishes then and Celtic won't be offering him another deal.

did well the season before last as injuries struck at centre back but never had a chance last season and it's better for him to move on.

2) Sampdoria are leading the chase for Massimo Donati. again, as i've said already, i'd rather we gave him another season to prove himself.

3) Kevin McDonald. it's no secret that WGS likes the lad but there's a lot of competition for him. i wouldn't be surprised if we make a move for him though. somewhere in the region of 500-750k could seal the deal. he looks a good player and would be well worth the cash.

25. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic