Celtic FC 2012/13 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by frasermc, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Unlucky guys... 2 of those goals were unlucky gifts..
    I really don't think the score line reflects the game at all..

Very hard break, you played with a lot of heart. Unfortunately just not enough lethality infront of goal..

Ps: they have some really dirty players, man those corner kicks turned into MMA :;(

frasermc repped this.
  2. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think it was lucky or dirty. Well prepared sounds more fitting. A team doesn't win in Paradise 3-0 dirty or luckily.

3. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    If it had been Chelsea people would be praising the great organization and effective play.

4. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Two words stick out to me after last nights match - cynical and clinical.

Juve were both and we were neither.

I'm immensely proud of how well we have done in the Champions league this season but we came up against an impressive team tonight that snuffed us out. Losing the early goal was a killer as it allowed Juve to sit deep and hit us on the counter, which they did very effectively.

We needed a goal before HT for all the effort we put in but when it didn't happen it was inevitable that we were going to tire in the second 45mins and allow Juve to impose themselves more on the match.

We almost played a 4-3-3 at times which allowed us to have 3 forward players on top of their CB's, with one dropping deeper at times to mark Pirlo. This then allowed us to play 3 in midfield against Marchisio and Vidal whilst also allowing us to exert more pressure on Pirlo.

The one unfortunate thing was it left our two CB's one on one with Matri and Vucinic and, as we all saw, Ambrose had a nightmare of a game.

Not blaming him for the result though. Again, the early goal was the killer. Juve finished their chances expertly whilst we couldn't convert any of ours. But in no way does a 0-3 scoreline show a proper reflection on the match.

gumbacicc repped this.
  5. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    NL himself said it was a gamble. Unfortunately, it backfired spectacularly.

Very true mate. Very true.

6. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

I wouldn't use dirty but I do feel it was cynical. Still, if the referee is going to allow it then why should Juve alter their tactics...? It needed a stronger referee.

But I do have to agree with phat to an extent. Conte had his tactics spot on but again, the early goal was key. We played into Juve's hands after that. They seemed content to sit deep and allow us possession in the belief their defence would be good enough not to concede. And so it proved. And to be fair, they are extremely strong at the back.

We were never going to be able to sustain the pressing game we incorporated. Energy levels were always going to run out sooner or later, hence why we needed to get back on level terms before HT.

But as I mentioned previously a 0-3 scoreline flatters Juve.

Dhajj repped this.
  7. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    And here I always thought it was the Germans who had the stereotype of being efficient. :confused:

8. Green Monster

Green Monster Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Scotland
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Terrific way to bounce back yesterday after the disappointment in midweek. 6-2 win over UTD. Fantastic performance and result. Felt a bit sorry for Jackie Mac returning to Parkhead - was a great servant to the club for a long time - but as the boss of the Terrors just have to put that aside, lol. Stokes especially waas in fine form, with 2 assists & 2 goals. All round, a great display.

frasermc repped this.
  9. Green Monster

Green Monster Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Scotland
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Hoops finish 1-1 with St Johnstone.

One of those games when you just felt that 1 goal was not going to be enough. St J are seriously proving to be a major thorn in the side this season. They've taken points from every game against us this season in the SPL, knocking us at Parkhead and 2 drawn in Perth. Indeed they proved a bit of a thorn last season also. Fair play to them.

End of the day 1-1 was probably a fair result.

10. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

We had enough chances to be well clear of them before the 2nd half kicked off but we went right off the boil and ended up fortunate to escape with a point.

I'll take it. 19pts clear. Move onto the next game.

11. Green Monster

Green Monster Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Scotland
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    St J had the ball twice in the back of the net before they eventually equalized. Although the first goal was clearly offside, think we got a little fortunate with the second. Frazer Wright looked to be in line & the goal should have stood. The Bhoys should have heeded the warning, and failure to do so is what has happened here, not fore the first time this season either. Can't complain though - all is still on track.

Aye, Motherwell losing v DUTD made the slip not matter, as we still extended the lead at the top of the SPL. 19pnts clear, 11 games to play.

(BTW - Not sure how to 'rep' something, but I'd rep your comment, Frasermc :) )

12. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    You'll find a rep button right next to the quote button you hit.

13. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Don't worry about it. Welcome aboard BigS. Hope to see you stay around.

14. Green Monster

Green Monster Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Scotland
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Unless I'm missing something or I've somehow got the layout config'd wrong, but the only thing next to the quote button is the permalink post number. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, no point dwelling onstuff I can't control. :)

15. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It may be you have to reach a certain post count before the rep function is enabled.

16. Green Monster

Green Monster Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Scotland
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    That makes sense. Cheers for that. :)

Hail, Hail!

17. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Bigsoccer knows weegies aren't to be trusted.

Green Monster repped this.
  18. Green Monster

Green Monster Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Scotland
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Aye. There is a reason why I now live in Fife. There is only 1 good thing about Glasgow - Celtic!

YankHibee repped this.
  19. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "weegies"? As in Glaswegians? hmm, learned something new today.

20. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    In that case feck knows what it makes of a weegie/geordie hybrid.

21. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    You're confusing the algorithms by being mostly intelligible.

22. Green Monster

Green Monster Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Scotland
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Another comfortable win for the Hoops in Paradise the day. 5-0 v Dundee, with stand-in skipper Joe Ledley scoring twice, along with Forrest from the spot, Dylan McGeough and Gary Hooper. Ledley scored one in each half as well as registering an assist for the Hooper goal, but Anthony Stokes should also come in for a slice of the credit also, with a couple of assists to his name.

The Bhoys have now pumped 11 goals past the pair of Tayside clubs in the space of a week, after they won 6-2 v Dundee United last weekend.

Now 21 points clear. Happy Days.

Hail, Hail!

23. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Nice to see another Milton bhoy doing well. Hope he pushes on and impresses as the season rolls on. Also nice to see us being able to introduce Rogic in the second half. These players could be first teamers for us next season depending on ins and outs in the summer.

Also good to see Stokesy and Hooper combining well. Yes, Stokes off the pitch antics need to be curtailed but I've always thought he's an intelligent attacking footballer.

Finally, NL did the right thing in removing Efe before HT today. He needs to have a word with himself. I realise he's still on cloud 9 from helping his country lift the ACN but he's being far too over confident on the ball far too often. He needs to get back to doing the basics well again.

24. Green Monster

Green Monster Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Scotland
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Just 15 points needed to secure for another league title party. Hopefully we get to see plenty of the emerging talent at the club over the next few months - Tony Watt, Dylan McGeough, Tom Rogic, the Twardzik twins, Marcus Fraser etc.

Business first though... Trip to face the Steelmen tonight.

25. striker77

striker77 Member

Aug 4, 2011
    It's just far too easy for Celtic now. Once they are officially out of Europe it is only going to get worse. I can see an 8 or 9 nil coming up against someone this season at Parkhead.