Celtic FC 2011/12 Season Thread "Here We Go Again, We're On The Road Again"

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by frasermc, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yep. Hopefully, this handicap can be compensated on Thursday night ... as another early exit from Europe would be a little disaster in my eyes.

Bonne nuit.

2. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Missing another home game due to work commitments.. :mad:

Team for tonight -

CELTIC (4-4-2) Forster; Cha, Majstorovic, Mulgrew, M. Wilson; Brown, Ki, Ledley, Commons; Stokes, Samaras

Subs: Zaluska, Matthews, Maloney, McCourt, Forrest, Wanyama, Slane

Kelvin Wilson misses out after picking up an injury in training.

3. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    So 0-0 then

Can't comment on the match as I couldn't drive up for it due to work commitments. I was planning on watching it on CH67 but my laptop had other ideas and kept telling me I was offline when I quite clearly wasn't.

Sounded like we had all the possession but struggled for creativity. Samaras was getting it off the support, nothing new there then... and many were baffled as to why our top goalscorer was asked to play wide for almost the entire match.

Sion were very unadventurous which is probably why the score is 0-0. Still, at least we can't really sit back over there and defend deep leaving us open to losing goals and struggling to get a foothold in the match.

I will be driving up on Sunday for the St Johnstone game. I don't intend to miss any more home games this season. We'll see how that goes.

4. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Haven't been watching the game, so I better don't comment it. Well, the result surely isn't what the fans expected (CP isn't a "fortress" any longer these days at international stage).

5. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    86th minute and I doubt expectations at CP have been met today...

6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If I posted that frasermc would have a fit...

Ex-Livi btw. ;)

7. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I've just returned to Newcastle. And to top it all off my hayfever has been killing me all day long.

My football coupon got hammered.

And I daren't look at my FPL score for this week...

Have I missed anything...?

I'll do a damning report later along the lines of it doesn't matter how well you played last season if you aren't cutting the mustard you shouldn't be in the team!

8. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Scottish Premier League
    Celtic Park, Glasgow
    Sunday, August 21, 2011

CELTIC…0

ST JOHNSTONE…1
    (Mackay 60)

CELTIC (4-4-2) Forster; Matthews, Majstorovic, Wanyama, Mulgrew (Wilson 45); Brown, Ki, Ledley (Forrest 74), Commons (McCourt 61); Maloney, Stokes
    Not Used: Zaluska, Samaras, Cha, Murphy

ST JOHNSTONE (4-4-2) Enckelman; Mackay, Maybury, McCracken, Wright, Craig; Morris, M. Davidson, C. Davidson; Sheridan (Higgins 63) Sandaza (Haber 72)
    Not Used: Mannus, Adams, Moffat, May, Caddis

Disappointing, to say the least. And the usual over reaction from the stands didn't help matters.

We're very unbalanced at this minute in time without Izzy on the left. Commons constantly drifted inside yesterday and Charlie Mulgrew was petrified to cross over the halfway line at times leaving everything to be channeled down the right or through the middle. Once St Johnstone realised this the middle of the park became extremely congested and chances, especially as the game wore on, became increasingly harder to fashion.

And it could all have been so different had we not missed a pen in the first couple of minute. NL sounded like he'd let off a lot of steam in the dressing room when he came out for his post-match interview. And rightly so. The standard of penalty taking at the club is atrocious. But even without that miss we still had almost all the play and carved out enough chances in the game to win it fairly comfortably.

But credit to St Johnstone. They defended well. Closed down the areas of the park that they needed too and got forward when they had the chance too. It was a nice strike from Mackay. Don't remember him bagging many in his career but he controlled his shot well. It came through a couple of players but I felt, from my seat anyway, that Forster should have done better. NL did mention it taking a deflection on the way through and if so then I wouldn't be so hard on the young keeper but I've yet to see a replay of the goal.

Fraser Forster: still looks nervous on cross balls and if there was no deflection on the goal he should have dealt with it a lot better.

Adam Matthews: one of our better players on the day. Got forward all day long and sent in at least 4 decent crosses that had no takers.

Dan Majstorovic: for a player as experienced as he is he's playing like he is scared out of his wits and is offering little confidence to the less experienced players around him. Extremely poor yesterday.

Victor Wanyama: played at CB and did ok. First start so I wouldn't be too hard on him but I think he'd need a lot of work before he would be a reliable CB.

Charlie Mulgrew: offers neither the width or the attacking impetus from the LB position that Izzy does. Subbed at HT for Mark Wilson to try and get us forward more on the left.

Scott Brown: ineffectual at RM. Never really in the game, even when he moved into the middle later on.

Ki: tried to dictate play and did so at times but was never really given the space near the box to have a go. Like most of the side he faded in the last 10mins.

Joe Ledley: I don't think these games suit Ledley at CM. If I didn't know better I'd say he looked like he was hiding for most of the second 45 and didn't want to take responsibility, especially in the opponents half of the pitch.

Kris Commons: very unlucky with a direct free kick that smashed back off the post but other than that he was terrible again today. Needs dropped as he is struggling for form.

Shaun Maloney: our best player in the first 45mins before doing his disappearing act in the second 45.

Anthony Stokes: has been our most dangerous marksman so far in the campaign but his scoring touch deserted him yesterday. He had chances but couldn't convert any.

Mark Wilson: came on for Mulgrew at HT to add more to the attack and never really managed to do so.

Paddy McCourt: came on after the goal and made some mazy dribbles. Was very unlucky with a shot that hit the post after good link up with Stokes but too many times he tried to take on too many players. He needs to stop believing his hype and start playing more for the team.

James Forrest: came on with 15mins to go and although he couldn't alter the course of the game he really deserves to be in the team in front of Commons right now.

9. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    0:1 against St. Johnstone at CP, now the failure to reach the group stage of the EuroLeague after a 1:3 away defeat against the average Swiss club FC Sion. Great season start, isn't it? :(

Quo vadis, Celtic? Quo vadis, Neil Lennon?

10. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Reports from Portugal are saying 23yr old Senegalese striker Papa Diawara is flying to Scotland to sign for Celtic.

A 6ft+ striker that can score a goal...? Surely not. Do they even exist?

*He doesn't take pens...*

11. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    28 August 2011
    Scottish Premier League
    St Mirren Park

ST MIRREN 0

CELTIC 2
    (Hooper 6, 12)

ST MIRREN (4-4-2): Samson; Van Zanten, Mair, McAusland, Tessalaar; Goodwin (McLean 89), Thomson, McGowan, Teale (McShane 70); Thompson, Hasslebaink (McKee 80)
    Subs not used: Smith, Carey, Haddad, Kennedy

CELTIC (4-4-2): Forster; Cha, Majstorovic, K. Wilson, Mulgrew; Brown, Ki (Ledley 85), Kayal, Forrest; Stokes, Hooper
    Subs not used: Zaluska, Matthews, Wanyama, Commons, Samaras, Maloney

An early double strike from Hoops settled this game which was just as well because we looked jaded for most of the match and St Mirren played well and dominated spells of the game. We had Fraser Forster to thank for a couple of good saves but on the balance of chances created we thoroughly deserved the 3pts and could have had more if everyone else was as sharp as Hooper in front of nets.

He scored his first after a nice 1-2 with Stokes on the edge of the box before a composed finish and his second came after intercepting a Paul McGowan pass and running on to slot past the advancing keeper.

Our midfield looked sluggish throughout and whilst never being overrun we never really dominated play either.

+ points

* Confident performance from Forster
    * Good link up play between Hooper and Stokes
    * Nice to see Forrest getting a start and he showed he deserved it with a good display

* I've lost all confidence in Majstorovic and it looks like his fellow teammates have as well
    * Wasteful finishing again but at least it didn't cost us points this week

Goals - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n062FKEQYfI"]celtic v st mirren 2-0 - YouTube[/ame]

12. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Samaras to Sunderland for £3mill (has PL dusted down his sharp suit at long last for another outing...?)

Maloney to Wigan pending a medical (so that'll be no then...)

13. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    22yr old striker Mohamed Bangura from AIK apparently had a medical earlier tonight.

14. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    CELTIC are delighted to announce the signing of Mohamed Bangura, who has joined the club on a four-year deal.

The highly-rated striker was an impressive performer for AIK Stockholm last season, having moved to the club following a successful loan spell at another Swedish side, IFK Varnamo. And the 22-year-old has also been capped by Sierra Leone.

Speaking to the official Celtic website, manager Neil Lennon said: “We believe Mohamed is a player of real quality and someone who has the potential to make a big contribution to Celtic.

“He comes highly recommended by people in the Swedish game. We have had him watched for a year or so, and all the reports have been very positive, and I know Mohamed is excited about joining the club.

“He’s a young player and someone with great enthusiasm for Celtic and for the challenge ahead, and we’re really looking forward to welcoming him to the squad.”

http://www.celticfc.net/newsstory?item=1482

Welcome to Celtic Mohamed!

Price stated as being around £2.2mill.

Now to see Diawara in.

15. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    A football fan has been cleared of assaulting Celtic manager Neil Lennon during a match last season after a jury found the charge not proven.

John Wilson, 26, was accused of a sectarian attack on the football boss as his side played Hearts in a crucial Clydesdale Bank Premier League game at Tynecastle stadium in Edinburgh.

A jury at Edinburgh Sheriff Court said the charge against Wilson, from the city, was not proven.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...eared-assault-Celtic-manager-Neil-Lennon.html

What an absolute disgrace! People go on about how the 'old firm' bring this country into disrepute but an act like that on Neil Lennon to be punished with only a breach of the peace charge is as bad, if not worse. What kind of message does this send out??

The assault was witnessed by millions on live television and should have been charged as assault, at the very least. Lest we forget we had a security officer witness the accused shouting 'fenian bas**rd' as he attacked Neil Lennon and yet the verdict comes back as not proven!!?

I'm absolutely dismayed at this.

Celtic FC Official Statement

CELTIC Football Club have released the following statement regarding the verdict at today's court case in Edinburgh.

"It is for the Jury to decide on this case, however, we find the accused 's acquittal of the charge of assault difficult to comprehend bearing in mind our knowledge of the incident.

"One thing is clear - this was a disgraceful incident involving Neil Lennon, seen by the world - the sort of incident which should not have happened in any football stadium and one which embarrassed Scottish football.

"Regardless of the verdict reached, we hope that people will learn from the events of last season and realise these cannot be repeated.

“As always we will give Neil Lennon our full support and hope that this season he can be given the opportunity to be allowed to do his job without the kind of threats, attacks and intimidation which have marred much of his time in Scotland."

16. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    SHAUN Maloney had joined Wigan Athletic on the final day of the transfer window following two separate spells with Celtic.

The attacking midfielder came through the ranks at Celtic before moving to Aston Villa in 2007.

His time at Villa Park was short-lived as he returned to Celtic the following year and he now moves to the DW Stadium after scoring 52 goals in 124 starts and 52 substitute appearances for Celtic.

Everyone at the club wishes him all the best in his future career.

http://www.celticfc.net/newsstory?item=1496

Best of luck to Shaun. A footballer I have always liked but his fragility meant he always struggled for any kind of consistency.

17. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fare thee well, wee Shaun.

18. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    CELTIC have signed Moroccan internationalist left-back, Badr El Kaddouri, on loan to January.

The player joins the club from Dinamo Kiev and Celtic have an option to purchase El Kaddouri at the end of the loan period.

More details to come on Celticfc.net

http://www.celticfc.net/newsstory?item=1497

A left back at last. I doubt we'll do any more business tonight unless we manage to shift Sammi on pretty sharpish.

19. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I'm very surprised they didn't just go with assault, rather than sectarian aggravated assault. The guy admits "lunging" at Lennon and hitting him on the head. That's assualt. He's admitted it and it's on tape. That's an open and shut case. He's denied shouting anything sectarian and it seems there wasn't enough evidence to show he wasn't telling the truth. There seems to have been a big push to describe this as a 'sectarian attack' when there clearly wasn't enough convincing proof of this. And the guy's got off with the assault charge because of this. Seems a massive blunder on someone's part.

As for what kind of message this sends out. Don't be too eager to ascribe a sectarian element to everything that happens regarding Celtic and Neil Lennon would be one that's worth learning for some.

20. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I didn't. I stated he should have been charged with assault at the very least. As you said and is clear to everyone he admitted to the assault charge and yet he is now being charged with a breach of the peace.

I will be very interested to see what sort of sentence is handed out.

Also, as far as I can ascertain, he didn't get off on the assault charge because of the push to add it was religiously aggravated. There were 2 charges one was for assault and one for breach of the peace. The jury clearly understood that the religious aggravations could be deleted from the charges as they did so by returning with a charge of breach of the peace with the religious aggravation removed from the charge.

Why didn't they opt for assault with the religious aggravation removed?

21. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I'm not implying you did but almost all the coverage I can remember from the time described it as 'sectarian' when there didn't seem to be any real reason to beleive it was.

Looks like I read it wrong. In that case, it really is baffling that he didn't get convicted of assault. He's admitted striking Lennon (although he clearly wasn't 'harmed') and it's obvious that there was intent to harm. Seems just about the most water-tight case for assault there could be even if the assault in itself wasn't the most serious.

I'd be really interested to know what his defence was.

22. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Apparently Celtic turned down a £29mill bid from an unknown club at the last minute of the transfer window yesterday evening... :eek:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3e5NGbqhSQ&feature=player_embedded"]PLClip - YouTube[/ame]

:D

23. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  24. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  25. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm glad Celtic banned the record reporters. A shocking headline before an Old Firm game.