Celtic FC 2010/2011 Season Thread- Over and Over

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by allegrabene, Jun 9, 2010.

1. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Don't look now Teso but you're starting to sound like a Celtic supporter...

You couldn't make this stuff up...

I'm sorry. I was under the impression that this wasn't exactly the first time Alex Ferguson has been outspoken, to say the least, about referees, or other football teams for that matter.

My mistake... :rolleyes:

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The evidence is there for anyone to see but please try to continue your effort to deflect attention away from Lennon and Celtic. I also notice you failed to respond to the article I posted.

3. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Excuse me? I thought it would be quite clear that I am infact trying to do the exact opposite in trying to highlight the position both Neil Lennon and Celtic find themselves in.

I would suggest that the relationship between that player and most football fans in general, with a modicum of common decency, has been a difficult one.

p.s. Teso, a quick question for you if you don't mind. Has Alex Ferguson at any time in his management career ever talked about another football team and questioned their commitment in a football match...?

I suppose he is allowed to do such things but, Neil Lennon, tut tut, that's a different kettle of fish now isn't it...

4. RitztotheRubble

RitztotheRubble Member+

Apr 15, 2011
  5. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
  6. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Comparing anti-Celtic feeling in Scotland to the American civil rights movement? Seriously? Back of the bus, timmy.

7. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I don't think every club in the world do have a scum element. I know we're talking about a far smaller fanbase but I don't think East Fife have a 'scum element'. Sure there might be a few folk who are effectively 'scum' in their lives away from football (although I don't know anybody) but I have never seen this manifest itself in any kind of trouble or unacceptable behaviour at games in getting close to twenty years. I could reel off the clubs in Scotland who I've never heard of any serious or sustained unacceptable behaviour at games.

Saying that other clubs have similar problems is no excuse, is it?

It doesn't work when kids misbehave at school, it doesn't work for adults who brake rules/laws of behave inappropriately. Why should Scottish football clubs be unique in this case?

8. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    It's not an attack. It's a fact.

9. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It hurts to lose the SPL title once again due to own stupidity (2:3 away loss in Inverness 10 days ago), doesn't it?

11. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    rangers have mcgregor to thank for the samaras penalty save.

12. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    As a Celtic supporter I really don't want to boil down the season to one sequence, there where many times where we let points slip..but I had a real bad feeling that day...congrats to Rangers and Walter Smith.

13. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Why bother with it are you Glaswegian?...you support E.Fife so why not start a E.Fife tread instead of being the keyboard commando ?you obviously detest Rangers and Celtic so why not f^ckoff and give yourself peace instead of embarrassing youself on this trread?

14. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'll post this but I don't know why as it will no doubt receive the usual mutterings and snide comments.

Anyhoo...

THE manager was delighted with the show of solidarity from the supporters on Sunday but in recent games there has been some offensive chanting and the manager has called for a halt to this.

Neil Lennon said: “Despite not lifting the league title on Sunday, it was a day which demonstrated all that was great about our club.

“The support was magnificent and I sincerely thank the fans for all their backing in once again making Celtic Park the place it should be.

“Obviously we are all disappointed that we let the league slip but I know the players will do all they can at the weekend to try and bring silverware to the club.

“I want to take this opportunity to send my sincere thanks to all our supporters and also thank the many thousands of you who have committed to joining us again next season by buying season books already. Your support is greatly appreciated.

“Celtic is rightly proud of its unique history and also of its open, inclusive and welcoming spirit. It is this which we hold dear.

“While we are delighted with the support we have received throughout the season, it is very important that we ensure that Celtic is always a positive club for all.

“We all know it has been a very difficult season for Celtic and we all know what has gone on. However, we must ensure that we do all we can to uphold the club's reputation.

“In recent times, unfortunately there has been a re-emergence from a small minority, of some of the singing and chanting which is simply not acceptable around our club.

“This has no place at Celtic Park or at any of our matches and it must be tackled. All this does is tarnish the great name of Celtic and embarrasses the club.

“As we move towards next season it is vitally important that we ensure we do so positively. However small the minority of people involved, this behaviour has no place at Celtic and I am sure as we move towards a new season and new beginning, everyone associated with the Club will recognise this.

“We move to next season with confidence, we will try again to bring fast, attacking, entertaining and positive football - and ultimately, football that brings you the supporters the success which your backing deserves.

“Thank you for you continued positive support.”

http://www.celticfc.net/newsstory?item=1091

15. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    the "small minority" was still used, however it's nice to see lennon address this nevertheless.:)

16. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
    Pffft. I don't think the 'sectarian/offensive' songs are themselves the problem. Let people sing what they want. I'll admit that I have no interest in balaclava-wearing, gun-toting Irish bank-robbers, or for that matter a hunchbacked, homosexual Dutch prince fighting in an Irish bog 300 years ago....but if people want to display their incredible ignorance by singing these ditties then that's their lookout. It's when it spills over into violence that it becomes a problematic - but these songs are a symptom of the problem(s) rather than the cause.

The faux-outrage and moral oneupmanship from both sets of fans is fast becoming petty to the point of farce.

17. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    i don't think the singing itself would warrant so much fuss. but when potential violence as serious as this season's comes up, everything, including the singing, should be addressed. people aren't treating these as silly wind ups anymore.

18. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It's the faux-outrage tit for tat stuff that really gets on my nerves. I do feel Celtic have played on this way to much. Especially in the press.

I hope any complaining is done in private next year instead of playing up to the idiotic element in both sets of supporters in the press.

19. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Seems like a sensible and honest statement to make. Whatever's been done or not done in the past, you can't criticise the club or the man for taking a step in the right direction, so I won't.

20. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    The thing is, the retards among both supports are given air by both clubs in small but very obvious ways. You simply can't say either club has gone far enough in making their scummy behaviour unacceptable. It's not just in football grounds and a few chants. It spills out into wider society, and most folk are sick of it and just don't want to put up with it any more.

On another website I go on, folk can't even talk about the Queen's visit to Ireland without OF morons 9from both sides) piling in and slavering their pish everywhere. It's really getting very boring now.

21. ABSRD

ABSRD New Member

May 23, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I like the way Lennon thinks!

22. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    thoughts on Izzy from this past season?

23. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Well he won the Scottish Player of the Year award.

He also won Celtic's own players player of the year award and the fans player of the year award.

So taking that into account it's fair to say he had a very, very good debut season. Still needs to work on his positional sense defensively though. But all in all he's been a terrific addition to our team in what was fast becoming a problem position at left back.

24. MassYank

MassYank New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Being linked to the Man u/Arsenal/Liverpool types this summer....So he had a great year.

Although I fully expect him to still be wearing the hoops over the next few seasons :)

25. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    How many right-backs does one club need?