Celtic Eye NASL Franchise

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by 4four4, Oct 25, 2015.

1. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    658047757052022784 is not a valid tweet id

I don't know what to make of this news.

revolution1776 repped this.
  2. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Celtic USA ?

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *groan*

4. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    What?

LOL.

5. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Chivas USA

soccersubjectively repped this.
  6. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34632349:

"Celtic are exploring the possibility of starting a franchise club in the United States.

The Scottish champions are also looking into similar opportunities in Asia as they attempt to grow their global brand.

Initial talks have already taken place between representatives of the club and the North American Soccer League, which is the second tier league in the US.

The NASL is hoping to expand from its current 11 teams to 20 teams by 2018.

Celtic regularly travel across the Atlantic to play pre-season friendly matches.

English Premier League club Manchester City took on the franchise for Major League Soccer side New York City in 2013."

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Boston Celtic sounds good. Oh wait.

USRufnex repped this.
  8. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven

If there is any truth to this, and they wanted to be in Boston they most likely would either not be able to use the Celtic name or would have to cut an expensive deal with the Boston Celtics to use the name in Boston. So I think that pretty much rules out Boston.

9. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The Boston Hibernians.

Chesco United repped this.
  10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boston Rangers.

11. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also already taken, especially for a Scottish team. GGTTH!

12. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least they are not mulling spending $100 mil for a farm team. This shows some confidence in the NASL.

While an extra team would be nice, I just wish we can hear more 'articles' about NASL teams forming on the west coast!

13. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boston Bhoys because alliteration.

wellington and oneeyedfool repped this.
  14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And for $100 million you get millions in tv revenue and 27k a game average. Maybe it's worth it. But I doubt Celtic has that kind of money. Then again I'm sure they want to retain lucrative NASL branding rights and 100% profit from player sales.

15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #15 The Irish Rover, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    Football teams - like all other sports teams that matter anyway - are all about tribalism and building it. Celtic, of all the other clubs in the world, ought to understand that.

If true, this means the end of the NASL as being "D1 in all but name." If you're a league that allows another league's clubs to set up farm teams and join, you're minor league and always will be. If it's Barcelona (or Real Madrid, at a pinch) it could work for a while, but in the long term I'd be sceptical.

I can't imagine there being anything other than "It's a really slow news day. There's no stories at all out there. Let's make some shit up!!" to this, but if there is, I posted this back in 2010 when Chivas were stinking up the MLS

QUOTE="The Irish Rover, post: 22194851, member: 176276"]I've posted the following before, but IMHO it bears repeating: Chivas USA just devalues the Chivas Brand in the eyes of Chivas fans, without winning any non-Chivas Mexican fans over and alienating/baffling/boring non-Mexican Hispanics (Costa Ricans, Salvadorans, etc) and Anglos. As for Eurosnobs . . .

If Vergara or whatever his name is wants a team in the USA, move it to San Diego or the Inland Empire and rename it San Diego/LA Athletic (Atletico San Diego/LA in Spanish), giving the team an identity of its own, without which they will never more than 15k a game.

---oo0oo---

Maybe Chivas is misunderstanding their own Mexican demographic. Some Chivas fans in LA will not turn out because Chivas USA isn't the real thing; that's Chivas down in Mexico and they can see them on TV.

In the meantime, how many Cruz Azul/Pachuca/Tigres will fans turn out to watch any team with Chivas in it's name - unless it's to watch Galaxy beat them. :D

I'm a mad Man U fan, and there's no way I'd support Gunners' USA if I was living in LA, and I really doubt I'd bother turning out for the LA Red Devils unless the latter was a kind of "proving ground" team for kids/squad players that need to be tested at a higher level than than the Championship. Even then I doubt I'd pony up for a Season Ticket to watch the next Gabriel Obertan develop (or not; probably not). If he does develop, I know he'll be gone at the end of the season; if stays it's because he hasn't developed and I'm looking at a Man U reject.

In any case, with the MLS single-entity structure, Chivas don't own the rights to the players outright, so what's the point?

If Chivas is to own a team in the US, it has to be THAT city's team and branded and marketed as such, with Chivas' contribution coming from the footballing side in coaching, scouting, developing a youth system (to which they can transfer Mexican-American kids who declare for the USMNT over Mexico; that way Chivas keep their principles and the $ from the player :rolleyes:). Even then I have my doubts for an MLS team unless the Chivas connection was actively downplayed.[/QUOTE]

16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    @LordRobin had some good stuff to say as well

17. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Unless they got one or both of the Celtics main owners as part of the ownership group. One of them took over the Olympic bid before it failed and went to Harvard, the only real option to play in the city.

Celtic is affiliated with what was the best local academy before the Revs started theirs, formerly the Greater Boston Bolts. In fact it was called something like "Celtic Bolts" for a year or two before it changed to FC Boston Bolts (I think that's the current name). Anyhow, that academy is also affiliated with the Boston Breakers who play at the Harvard soccer stadium. The Breakers were allowed to add endline bleachers to conform to NWSL standards, and it would take another upgrade if someone were to try to get a NASL team to play there. Even though Harvard is private, I'm fairly sure a local billionaire can take advantage of donating to an educational institution in lieu of a favorable lease.

Boston would be Celtic's best shot at their brand exploitation with a small built-in fanbase. No clue if either Wyc Grousbeck or Steve Pagliuca would be interested in something like this.

18. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Do you think that NY City FC is as bad as Chivas USA? It's also a brand promotion, but much milder, and I personally don't mind it. Celtic might be thinking something along the lines of NY City FC, the tweet doesn't say much.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  19. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    NASL aside, I love that Celtic are doing something, anything to try to expand. One of my favorite childhood clubs. They really need to get out of the Scottish league somehow, though. If England won't take them, maybe France would? :)

20. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    chungachanga repped this.
  21. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland ought to form a Celtic Premier League

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  22. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Manx, Cornwall and Calais would want in, maybe even Galicia...

No one would get along. Could be fun to watch.

Macsen repped this.
  23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the last two weeks have we reviewed any further info on which city Celtic is targeting?

24. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    I don't think so. I visit Celtic boards occasionally, but I didn't notice anything new.

25. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    Interesting concept. It might spur investment in the Republic of Ireland for signings. I could see this also benefitting the Belfast Clubs as well. I don't think it would have much of an impact in Wales since their larger teams ex. Swansea City, Cardiff City and Wrexham play in the English leagues.