Celtic 2008/09 Match thread. pre/post [R] Stand up for the Champions

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by frasermc, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I’d definitely get rid of:

Hemdani
    McCulloch
    Dailly

If we got decent offers I’d get rid of:

Ferguson
    Miller
    Beasley
    Broadfoot

Complete mysteries to me are:

Gow
    Webster

I cannot understand people wanting to get rid of McGregor. He’s a better keeper than Alexander. I also want to see player being played in their proper positions. Put Fleck up front. He’s not a left winger. Let’s see Aaron playing. He’s been great in the reserves and is exciting. I’m really not sure what to do with Charlie Adam. He’s got all the talent but no way is he a winger. Maybe best if he moves on but I do feel for him. I really hope Thomson is still the player he was. If so I’d make him captain. He was outstanding before he got injured. I’ve also been told by a Rangers fan who watches the reserves week in, week out there is very high hopes for at least 3 young players making the step up. I’d love to see these guys getting introduced next season. This guy knows what he’s talking about as well. He used to scout for West Ham in Scotland.

I’ll wait to see how much money we have to spend before commentating on who to buy.

Oh and get it right up ye Man U! Mon the Barca. :)

2. The Tartan Hoop

The Tartan Hoop New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Near Glasgow
    I would like to see Coyle some how because he is a Celtic fan and it might unite the fans as I think that can dent the club spirit but I just have this feeling Bilic would bring something else to the table as well and it's said he is really really keen to take the job and thats something you want from a manager keen to get stuck in.

3. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  4. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm working in England at the minute, and glad of it for once.

No reading Scottish rags and getting increasingly exasperated as they go for the old minesweeping tactic of firing off enough shots and you're bound to hit the target eventually.

I'll be back on Friday and hopefully we'll be very close to having our new man in place, whomever he may be.

6. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony Mowbray may be linked to Celtic? At least that's what they were saying on Sky Sports a bit earlier.

7. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

If it is Mowbray then I'd have to admit to being underwhelmed but I'll give him my full support. If they were no better options then I wouldn't feel that way but with guys like Bilic expressing interest in the position then it does alter things to an extent. If Bilic is genuinely interested then I hope we have approached him at the very least and asked him his thoughts and possible requirements he'd feel he would need to do the job to the best of his abilities.

If, if, if... I'll be glad when someone is finally announced. I'd expect to see him paraded before the weekend ends.

As I stated the other day, I'm glad I was away all this week in England and avoided all the usual tabloid nonsense as they scurry around looking for a clue from somewhere... anywhere...

It used to be that we had leaks everywhere but the ship has been tightened for a few seasons now so the press struggle on in their attempts at being first to reveal our new manager with little success.

8. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It seems that Tony Mowbray will be unveiled as our new manager on Monday.

9. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I'm partial to Mowbray, but I think he's up to it. To me he brings both an understanding of the Scottish game and the ability to put together attacking tactics for the fans. Probably he also won't be crazy expensive.

10. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hmmm, it's surely not the "big name" some fans may have expected ... but why not give him a chance? I don't know much about him (except for the fact that he once played for Celtic and coached the Hibs a few years ago), so let's hope he'll be a good choice.

11. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

I will. He'll be unveiled within the next 48hrs I'd imagine now that Celtic and WBA are talking compensation.

TM likes his teams to play 'The Glasgow Celtic Way' and I think the fans will get behind him from the beginning. I just hope the board does as well.

We don't need squad players anymore. The squad is bloated enough as it is. We need starters.

A left back
    A striker
    Someone to replace Naka.

Left back goes without saying as it's been a bedsore for two years now.

JVoH looks a pale shadow of himself and Samaras is intermittent at best. We need someone to come in and partner McDonald immediately.

Naka hasn't gone yet but it looks inevitable. If TM doesn't think McCourt or Mizuno are ready to replace him then we'll need someone who can.

You're probably looking at £10mill right there. Will the board be prepared to finance that? I hope so. Of course the other option is we sell one of our big sellable assets -

Aiden, Artur or Skoosh.

I'd hope to keep all three if possible.

Incidentally, it was Tony Mowbray who first started 'the huddle'.

12. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  13. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
    I bet Sellick are regretting not flogging Artur now. I doubt he'll go for any more than £4m, same with McGregor.

Zaluska is a perfectly capable replacement (and far cheaper wages).

14. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

With the benefit of hindsight I'd agree with that but at the time Celtic wanted to keep their best team together and were in no need to sell. So if we were to let one of our prize assets leave then it would have to have been for a huge offer. The largest figures were being banded around after the Euro's, a tournament he excelled in with the whole of Europe looking on.

Boruc form did dip last season but he finished the season strongly. If he's still with us next season then it'll be interesting to see how he performs with the added pressure of having some competition for his spot for probably the first time at the club.

I also agree that Zaluska is a capable replacement but if Boruc is on his best form I'd still take him over Zaluska any day of the week.

15. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  16. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland