Celta de Vigo [R]

Discussion in 'Galicia' started by Jose L. Couso, Jul 22, 2005.

1. david_silva

david_silva New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Canada
    Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta Celta

If we go down, I'll have the knowledge that we beat Depor at home and on the road, plus beating Real Madrid in Madrid and Valencia. Can't take that away.

2. rossgreen

rossgreen Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Austin
    Three Questions:

1)Why has Celta struggled this year?
    2)What positions do you need to improve on for next year?
    3)Does De Ridder ever play?

3. david_silva

david_silva New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Canada
    1. Celta has struggled I think because they haven't been able to replace Silva or Sergio. Silva was the motor of the team and his influence on attack is sorely missed. Canobbio has not picked up the slack at all and he clearly needs to have someone to play off of up front to be effective. Celta has put a lot of teams on the ropes all year but dumb defensive gaffes always seem to lead to inopportune goals and they haven't been able to finish their chances. Sergio was definitely a rock at the back they miss now. No matter what you hear critics say, it's not Vazquez's fault they're where they are. I'd even put a little blame on the new president because he's shown no real direction with the team and seem to talk lots and do little.

I mean, I had this thought today. We've only had 7 wins all year from 30, but we've beat Deportivo on the road and at home, we've won at Real Madrid and gone to La Catedral and Pamplona and won, beat Valencia who took Chelsea to the last minutes this week. These are quality wins for any team so it just shows how now dealing with your business against easier sides can kill you.

2. Well with Stoichkov now the coach, their needs are gonna change because I'm assuming he's gonna start playing a little bit more direct soccer with two up front. Celta needs another quality forward that Baiano can play off of for sure. They also need another fullback to back up Placente, another quality central defender and could use a playmaking midfielder to help out Oubiña.

3. I'm a big De Ridder fan, he was really impressive at the under-21 euros and I think he's gonna have a big future. The problem is he got injured at the start of the year, and he's been on and off injured all year and hasn't got in any rhythm to be called on by the coach. His last appearance was in Russia against Spartak and he was pretty useless and got hurt. He's on some weird loan/contract arrangement with Ajax, so I think it's gonna be a tough call for Celta to make the permanent purchase.

I hoped that answered your question!

4. rossgreen

rossgreen Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Austin
    It did, thanks much!

5. PasionPorElTri

PasionPorElTri New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Guadalajara, Mexico
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ya'll shoulda never let Vela go, he's a great player, and is helping Salamanca alot

6. azulcremaporvida

Jan 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Wikipedia is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Vela

"However, in summer 2006 Celta found themselves unable to keep him, having signed too many players from outside the European Union."

7. david_silva

david_silva New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Canada
    Well here's hoping either Iriney or Nene gets their nationalization papers so they can open up a spot for him. He would look pretty good alongside Baiano.

8. PasionPorElTri

PasionPorElTri New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Guadalajara, Mexico
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I knew that, but wasn't this signing after Vela was brought in? ... anyways either the best of luck to Celta!

9. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  10. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  11. david_silva

david_silva New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Canada
    At the press conference today, he confirmed he's staying to take over the project, and with the restructuring at the club, he now inherits more power in terms of signing players and being in charge of the youth system. I agree with you Catfish that I think he could've gone elsewhere and I still think Barça is the natural fit for him. Barça in my gut I think is gonna get blown up this summer, and he would be a fitting replacement with his ties there, but we'll see. I hope he does leave Celta because I don't think he has understands the difficulty of getting back up and the style of play in the Liga BBVA. I'm more in favour of bringing in Marcelino, someone who's spent some time coaching in the second division and did an amazing job in Huelva this year getting that team near Europe.

12. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    how good is oubina exactly.

compared to manuel fernandes?

13. TexasBarcaFan

TexasBarcaFan Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Outside of Barca, Celta is my favorite Spanish team. I have many friend who live in Vigo and I've had the chance to go to Balaidos several times. I enjoyed it tremendously. Will be there in October and was hoping to catch a game but they will be away that weekend. Would like to see them get back to the 1st Division and stay there.

I loved the Mostovoi, Catanha, Revivo teams. They were great.

14. MARUNE7701

MARUNE7701 New Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Hmm yes i am Depor fan i would really like celta to gain promotion for the ever exciting Galacian derby.... sorry about not capitalizing the c on celta i have my reasons.