Cell Phones in Russia

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by KRCSoccer, Jan 10, 2018.

1. KRCSoccer

KRCSoccer Member

May 15, 2014
    I am hoping to avoid paying for an international calling plan so I am starting a new thread hoping to get some advice from anyone with AT&T cell service who has been to Russia. A friend of mine who went to Europe last year told me he bought a cheap sim card in Belgium to replace the one in his iPhone and it allowed him to use the phone in Belgium, Netherlands, and France with no issues. Anyone know if that is possible in Russia as well?.

2. Nick Kharchenko

FC Baltika, Kaliningrad, Russia
    Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    What is possible? Yes, you can buy a sim-card for sure.

If your phone is locked - contact your carrier for instructions.

3. Flipmode2000

Flipmode2000 Member

Feb 28, 2012
    USA -Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That works all over the world... You just need your phone to be unlocked.

KRCSoccer repped this.
  4. KRCSoccer

KRCSoccer Member

May 15, 2014
    Thanks, I'll look into how to determine if it is locked and how to unlock it

5. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Maybe a better question would be what kind of Sim and plan options are available in Russia for not Russians? I'm interested more in Data than minutes or text for instance. What deals/plans are out there?

Itiofele and Araujo repped this.
  6. vamoBrasil

vamoBrasil Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Does it matter if my phone is GSM or CDMA to buy a sim card in Russia?

7. MattC

MattC Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    rafael_mia repped this.
  8. Nick Kharchenko

Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    As I understand major carriers are using GSM standard.

9. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yes CDMA shouldn't work. However if your phone does 4G then those parts should still work. Also, a lot of newer phones does both GSM and CDMA and 4G (newer iPhone, Samsung, Nexus and such) even if they only use one them normally.

10. azevedof

azevedof Member

May 1, 2014
    Natal
    Club:
    America Natal
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @Nick Kharchenko Which cellphone carriers, that work well in the host cities, would you recommend to buy a sim-card?

11. Nick Kharchenko

Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Market share
    MTS — 31%
    Megafon — 30%
    Beeline — 23%
    Tele2 — 15%
    Others — 1%

My family is using MTS and Beeline. Megafon is ok too. I would say those three are more or less equal.

Not sure about Tele2 coverage across all host cities. New budget company.

themanlarry, azevedof and Stuckin1au repped this.
  12. Phil_MN

Phil_MN Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Oct 26, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    I see Verizon has added Russia to TravelPass. I'll give that a shot since that's the easiest way to retain my number. Hopefully the partner has decent speeds. They partnered with Orange in Berlin and it was so slow.

When I was in Sochi for the Winter Olympics I had AT&T and while I could make calls none of my texts I received ever made it to my phone. Even when returning home they were just missing. Ended up switching to What's App exclusively after that.

Medeiros and Nick Kharchenko repped this.
  13. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    How loyal are you to ATT? I have T-Mobile and it worked great during the World Cup in Brazil. They upgraded everyone to 4G for the tournament too. It was great using gigs of data without having to worry!

Phil_MN repped this.
  14. ChristianRevolution

Oct 27, 2017
    I guess you can find these SIM card shops at Domodevo airport ?

azevedof repped this.
  15. DunMacLeod

DunMacLeod Member

Oct 31, 2017
    bought one there once. Don't remember if i was overcharged thou.

All in all mobile comm is really cheap in russia, every year I buy a new sim when I go there on vacations, and for something like 500 rub I get a month worth of comunication and 4g internet, also good roaming inside russia (no surcharges).

Last year I managed to pay smt like 400rub for Beeline. Gone from Moscow to Ulan-Ude without problems! Last year I bought on Sheremetyevo airport!

Carlozik and ChristianRevolution repped this.
  16. bbffc97

bbffc97 Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Can any locals tell me more about the Yota modem/router with unlimited data? Is this still available? (the website is all in Russian)

I’m already bringing two phones (work and personal) and can’t switch out the SIM cards in those, because I need to still be contactable on my Australian phone numbers.

I don’t have a reliable spare phone, and I’m also bringing a laptop. So I’m thinking that the portable modem might be the way to go for me, even if there is an upfront cost. That way I can access WiFi from that for my phones and laptop.

17. 888sergey888

888sergey888 Member

Spartak
    Russia
    Mar 6, 2018
    Yes, it's available(approx.55-60$ unlim for 1 month, incl. modem&service). Btw you can buy modem of any main mobile operators: MTS, Megafon, Beeline. the price is the same or even less. Speed and coverage are great too. Up to you. Have a good stay!

bbffc97 repped this.
  18. Chiyakkutan

Chiyakkutan Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Hawai'i
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    If we have our own unlocked router, can we just buy a data sim in Russia and put it in? Then , we don’t need to rent a router there. Curious, cause I would buy this router to use everywhere else I travel.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/152811445942

19. 888sergey888

888sergey888 Member

Spartak
    Russia
    Mar 6, 2018
    Hi! Sure you can. Good idea. Make sure that you get enough internet traffic package on SIM-card you buying.

bbffc97 repped this.
  20. ChristianRevolution

Oct 27, 2017
    I am far from a tech guy...
    but for a period of 2 weeks , if i want to have mobile network in various parts of russia ( volga region and sakhalin) what is my best bet ? and which sim and capacity / package should i ask for ? I want to have unrestricted (almost) access to internet and possibility to call russian numbers / sms russian numbers and 2-3 hours in case to call outside russia
    and how much would it cost and with which operator ? : )

Thanks a lot

21. 888sergey888

888sergey888 Member

Spartak
    Russia
    Mar 6, 2018
    @ChristianRevolution, If you realy need to stay online in Sakhalin - my recommendation is MTS operator & Интернет-VIP(internet-VIP) package: it's offer 30gb per month day traffic & unlim for night use(00:00-07:00). If you excludes Sakhalin from travel-places then go for MEGAFON operator & Интернет XL(internet XL) package: it's 30gb per month day traffic & unlim night(01:00-07:00). The price is about 20$/month for each. The other big cell operator is Beeline, but i'm not sure of high quality link in outer regions of Russia.

22. ChristianRevolution

Oct 27, 2017
    ogromnoe spasibo))
    1-I guess I can buy this MTS - Internet VIP at the airport ?
    2- night use 00.00/07.00 is in Moscow time or in Sakhalin time ? :)

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think we can buy short term (say 1 month) contracts for telephones at the Sochi Airport or so.

24. 888sergey888

888sergey888 Member

Spartak
    Russia
    Mar 6, 2018
    You are welcome
    1. Yes, there are sales offices in DME & SVO airports(08:00-22:00)
    2.Presumably according to your "home region"(where sim card was bought). You'd better specify when buying.

25. Nick Kharchenko

Russia
    Oct 20, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Sure, we have prepaid system here