CCL qualification question

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by Nerroth, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #1 Nerroth, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    I was double-checking Liga MX's qualification criteria for various continental competitions on Wikipedia, and was wondering about something.

From what I gather, the Clausura and Apertura winners and runners-up in the 2013-14 Liga MX season will go to the 2014-15 CCL, while the top three teams in the 2013 Apertura which had not already been CCL-tied went into this year's Copa Libertadores.

But if either América or Léon (or both) make it into the 2014 Clausura finals, I am guessing that América (who are currently in Pot B) would be bumped up to Pot A if they won that final match.

In any case, how would the doubled-up CCL slot/s be reassigned? Is it based on the regular season table in the current Clausura, or is there some other means of deciding who earns the berth/s instead?

2. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    #2 It's called FOOTBALL, Mar 22, 2014
    If America wins this season's title, then MEX3 goes to the highest points-getter from the Fall season. MEX1 and 3 are strictly determined by Fall season results, and MEX2 and 4 are strictly determined by Spring season results.

America currently holds MEX3, but it could upgrade that into MEX2, leaving MEX3 to be filled by the highest points-getter from the Fall season.

MEX1 is already locked up no matter what happens. If a bichampionship occurs, MEX2 goes to runner-up of this season's Final.

3. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #3 Nerroth, Mar 22, 2014
    So, if América get MEX2, would MEX3 default to Santos Laguna (since they came second in the 2013 Apertura regular season) in the event that they don't earn MEX2 or MEX4 by the end of this season?

And I saw that Léon went to the 2014 Copa Libertadores, but are still not prevented from going to the 2014-15 CCL. Would this mean that (in the above scenario) Santos Laguna would not be blocked from taking up MEX3 either?

4. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Yes.

Tabla General[editar]

EquiposPJGEPGFGCDif.Pts.
    1.[​IMG] América17114231121937
    [​IMG]2.[​IMG] Santos1796232201233
    [​IMG]3.[​IMG] León[​IMG]11786325141130
    4.[​IMG] Cruz Azul[​IMG]1178542117429
    5.[​IMG] Toluca[​IMG]1769233171627
    Yes, they would not be blocked from taking MEX3.

If they make the Lib Final, and it conflicts with CCL, I'm sure they will send reserves to CCL while the 1st team plays the more important game.

5. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I see, thanks.

On a side note, does this sort of thing run the risk of causing a sense of cross purposes among certain Liga MX teams?

In most other professional leagues I can think of, or at least those which have more than one tier of continental competition to aim for, the tournament the top-finishing teams go to is unambiguously the most prestigious. (No one at Real Madrid wants to go to the Europa League, for example.)

But in Liga MX, there is the lure of Libertadores competition on the one hand, and the prize of domestic silverware and a shot at a berth at the FIFA Club World Cup on the other. (América may not see the CCL as quite as big a deal as the Libertadores, though perhaps they may fancy a shot at the CWC?)

Does that end up causing certain teams to not aim quite so much at trying to actually reach the liguilla finals (even if they would otherwise be capable of getting there) as they would at finishing just high enough to get to go to the Libertadores instead?

6. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Here's the Lib schedule

Calendario[editar]
    Programa de las distintas fases.6

FaseInicioFinal
    Primera28 de enero6 de febrero
    Segunda11 de febrero10 de abril
    Octavos de final16 de abril30 de abril
    Cuartos de final7 de mayo14 de mayo
    Semifinales20 de julio31 de julio
    Finales8 y 15 de agosto

CCL schedule not released yet.

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2013-2014 CCL started on August 6. If a club is in the Copa Libertadores final and the 2014-2015 CCL, CONCACAF could simply give them off for the first CCL matchday.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  8. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    About a decade ago, some Toluca fans jokingly said that their team should throw the league Final so they can be eligible for the Liberators Cup. But it was just a joke. Toluca went all out for that Final, no one was thinking of South America while on that football pitch.

While I'm sure MX teams prefer S. American competition, none want it so bad that they will throw a playoff game. At all. MX teams give 100% in all their playoff games, and it makes for some entertaining football.

9. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Exactly, they even can get byes for first two games as CCL schedule is utter crap, e.g. Esteli and Miguelito played at home in both matchday 1 and matchday 2 with two games away and two byes in last four days.

10. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, if América make the Final and lose, they keep MEX3 and pass MEX4 down the Clausura table (either to Cruz Azul or Toluca).
    The top two teams, plus the winner of a playoff between the last two Copa MX winners (Morelia and Tigres)...unless one or both qualify for the CCL, in which case I have no clue what happens then. :confused: Maybe, if Morelia qualify for the 2014-15 CCL, then Tigres gets the Libertadores spot (and vice-versa); or if they both qualify, then the FMF goes back to sending the third-highest non-CCL team in the Apertura regular season.