CBS Sports Network Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by JJ Mindset, Feb 15, 2011.

1. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Considering that some BS members are giddy about the idea of soccer on Versus, how would this news be reacted to?

http://www.mediabistro.com/sportsne...ge-sports-network-as-cbs-sports-network_b5965

Right now, CBS College Sports Network is in 40 million homes. That's already as many, if not more, than FSC. The CBS brand name alone could be used to increase that by as many as 20 million additional homes if they can smartly leverage it, not to mention getting the channel on a much better position with cable/satellite providers.

Not that we'll be going there any time soon but another avenue has just been opened, IMO.

2. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Hey man, it's all another possibilty.

However, seeing as how VS seemed a bit more "alternative" and youth skewed , I think it had a better chance of you know taking a chance on soccer.

From an American TV standpoint there is a lot of potential soccer to be had from domestic to Euro. The key is highlighting what would be best to push more for the mainstream market.

Obviously MLS makes sense, yet as some will tell you it's not quite mature. It's not fully expanded yet and reportedly has kinks to work out with the playoff system, not to mention the lest than desirable state of the CONCACAF champions league.

Still, US Soccer has is it's strong suits I believe. We actually have some personalites like Landon and Dempsey and such. MLS and US Soccer needs to do a better job of retaining it's better people (not best, cause that's impossible) and leveraging them for marketing purposes.

The World Cup shows that you can get a certain amount of Yanks into soccer, now it's time to put the puzzle together (or at least start it).

Sorry if I sound repetitive.

On another front, this could potentially provide CBS a better platform to hold on to it's NCAA sports package and maybe make a play for even MORE college football. Other than that, what else do they need with the NFL, NCAA and most choice Golf tournies?

3. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    CBS is an old folks network, they'll only stay with the traditional sports.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  4. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah they don't even have soccer on their website...that's how much they're into it.

5. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    True but you could say that about all three networks really. FOX skews youngest but it's been mainstream since at least the mid ninties. (Fox used to be cool, man).

Anyways, it's long term. Soccer can only grow provided it's cultivated well enough and those boomers aren't going to be around forever.

Strickly speaking, before MLS becomes more attractive and gets a more ambitious commish, all of this is just shooting the breeze. It's not likely people will take a chance on the round ball game any more than they have before in the short term.

6. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    true, but the CBS brand name has been on that channel for years. The only thing they're dropping is the "College" part.

The World Cup shows that you can get a certain amount of Yanks to tune in to the World Cup every 4 years and root for their team and maybe adopt another team along the way. The same way I watch Tennis grand slams. Non-World Cup soccer growth is much slower, albeit promising.

7. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Right now I'm seeing a telecast of the Big East men's semifinals between UConn and Louisville. They'll also air the second semifinal later in the evening. The Big East Championship is going on the air on Sunday at noon.

http://www.cbssportsnetwork.com/schedule

Just a FYI.

8. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Bumping this up because I just came across some interesting comments from current chair of CBS Sports, Sean McManus, about where he thinks soccer is right now:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/ar...us_Fox_Sports_1_Not_Altering_Our_Strategy.php

Couple that with his comment earlier in that article about how CBS Sports Network is willing to do deals with Fox Sports 1 or NBC and one might get the idea that they would look into buying into some properties (*hint*) beyond the occasional college games. This is not just anybody but the head of a wing of a major media corporation. I don't know how David Berson would do when he succeeds McManus but most likely David is getting directions from Sean about CBSSN. Well, what domestic sports property that's not the NBA is going to become available after 2014?

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  9. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    CBS needs to stick to SEC football and golf. Other than that they are worthless.

Lithium858 repped this.
  10. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Beyond that, there is a limit to how much soccer you could conceivably push even on lower tier cable.

EPL and UEFA Club and Country matches are your best bet, then MLS. After that aside from a few Money League teams, it's not gonna work.

11. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Interesting. At this point Cable sports is loaded with soccer assets. Loosing FSC and Probably FSC+ can mean two things. Soccer is not a good investment when the prices get out of hand, like the EPL or that the competition is too intense, beIN and NBCSports.

I am not sure that Fox is getting out of the business of soccer, but they are going to be causios about how much to invest. ESPN already draw the line and NBCUniversal will find out in three years if the EPL is a good investment. CBS Sports can get a big bank for their bucks by focusing on other sports which are still cheap and relevant to an American Audience. The prices for soccer assets in the United States are getting out of control and the ratings are not there yet, and I am not sure if this is going to change any time soon.

Economically, please pay close attention to beIN networks, they are changing the landscape of soccer assets in America, but I am not sure if this is a positive change. As a consumer, I am really happy because, I now have access to the South American elimination tournament, but I am not sure at what cost. Nonetheless, the 2013/2014 season looks great for EPL fans.

Enjoy it.

12. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    CBS Sports Network is now on the digital tier with Time Warner Cable.

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-sports-network/releases/view?id=36811

This comes a month or so after they made a similar agreement with Verizon FiOS. Waiting for that agreement to be implemented.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...greement-time-warner-20130822,0,6097882.story

13. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    I've noticed that they've been airing some soccer lately. So far I've seen some NASL, a friendly tournament involving U-20 teams, plus they aired Werder Bremen-Chelsea, Mainz-Liverpool and Porto-Villareal friendlies. The NASL seems to have a semi-regular spot according to their website: http://www.cbssportsnetwork.com/

Just another outlet in case you need a footy fix.

14. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Changed the title, since the original topic title was about something five years ago

15. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Friendly between Inter and Borussia Moenchengladbach this afternoon (August 10) at 2:25 p.m.