CBA Thread IV: I Must Break You

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by triplet1, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    Goff said this in his open letter to Phil Anschutz this morning:

Link:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/02/dear_mr_anschutz.html#more

Of all the observations he's made in his blog over the years, that may be among the most interesting IMO.

The idea that there is an old guard that determined not to change the system that has essentially outlived it's purpose isn't new to this thread or Big Soccer, but as far as I can recall, Goff is one of the first credible people to voice it through this "trusted" source.

Forget Hartmann, this is starting to become a discussion on the very core of what MLS is and how it operates. That might be healthy, or, if it gets out of hand, incredibly destructive.

1 person likes this.
  2. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: CBA Thread III: The sneakers don't seem that much cheaper

It seems to me that something like this should be worked out. Say any new contract less than the value of the current one can be accepted or the player is waived.

Hartman's situation strikes me as unusual. The only way he gets what he want is if another team wants him as a starter. Most teams might take him as a challenger, but they're not going to give him a starter's income until he wins it. If KC eventually waives Hartman he's likely to come out worse than if he'd signed his deal for the Wiz.

I may have missed it, but Snowden's article didn't actually mention what teams want Hartman but are passing because they don't want to give KC a draft pick.

3. Toronto Red

Toronto Red Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Stuff like this makes you wonder about the undertones in the back office on issues like TV rights, long term sponsorships etc. In the past few years, the league has used these items as positive positioning tools, as you would expect, but one wonders how fragile those positions are. This "old guard" are protecting something, maybe it's not only their self interest.

I'm a risk tolerant MLS fan but then again, I see a lot positive when I head to BMO, sometimes I forget that there are struggling markets out there.:(

4. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not sure it has leaked elsewhere, but one of the smaller points the players are asking for in the new CBA is for MLS to honor internationl breaks.

So says Freddie Ljungberg today to a Swedish newspaper.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotbollsbladet/landslagsfotboll/landslaget/article6654263.ab

U.S. league has not made breaks for international matches in Europe before. But in the new collective bargaining agreement between the players union and owners, who do not is signed yet, require the players that.

- We want players now have the "Fifa rights" in the contract, which means that the precise plan tailored to breaks for international matches.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey, this sounds familiar. ;)

6. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Shining a light on roaches is never destructive. Time for some of the "cheap" owners to play ball or go away.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, well Ljungberg and the rest of the players are idiots on this one. I suppose they have a plan for how the 2009 season would have worked, considering the U.S. Nats played 21 competitive matches? Or 2010 with a full month for the WC?

8. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're speaking in hypotheticals no? How do you know what some teams are willing to pay or not and whether or not they want him as a starter unless and until there is some form of free agency and teams are allowed to actually do what they want?

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Sure, but at what salary?

10. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With more and more MLS sides controlling their venue dates, the players are asking for the possible, even if it looks bizarre on the calendar and the season schedule.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

One thing he is not is a slave.

12. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've always had the impression that Ljungberg has not the vaguest understanding of what these negotiations are actually about.

13. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA

Anschutz seems to me to be one of the good guys as far as spending money to make money is concerned.

But in the spirit of Goff, I'd like to take this opportunity to address a two-word letter to Bob Kraft:

GET OUT

14. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

that Goff open letter should mark the start of CBA Thread IV.

15. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

true.

although "player rights" could realistically encompass the idea of FIFA international match breaks in the MLS schedule. (although, FIFA again doesn't seem to "care" about this MLS issue -- that is also shared by some other leagues -- just as FIFA doesn't care or can't do anything about MLS being a single-entity, other than support that business and try to grow the sport in the US/Canada markets. and it is interesting that MLS has already shown some interest in avoiding some of the FIFA dates -- given how they set the league schedule to go light during some 2009 WCQs, and how they're breaking for two weeks during the group stage of the 2010WC.)

and no, the breaks for FIFA dates likely aren't "as important" to the players as an elimination of the reserve clause is, but having a "few" items brought to the table could be a wise step in terms of getting at least "some of" those items incorporated into the new CBA.

16. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

imo, the players are benefiting from having these negotiations and discussions now also occurring "in the press". clearly, they're weren't happy with how it was going in the negotiation rooms, and the intermediate step of "negotiating via the press" is a better step than (hypothetically) going straight to a strike.

it will be interesting to see if Goff, or any press memeber, actually can get an owner or someone at MLS on the record to respond to some of his points in that blogged open letter, specifically:

i'm less and less inclined (as I have been for a few years, as a fan) to believe that "the system is essential and still works" as MLS chooses to run it. (and again, I freely admit I have not and never will see all of the MLS/SUM business files and budget sheets, but at some point, there really does "need" to be some fuller defense of the status quo -- of single-entity or just some of the operational choices such as the reserve clause -- beyond just the because "we say so" from MLS. the perception of what MLS "is" actually does go a long way to determining what MLS is and can become as a league and business.)

and as an aside, who's Goff's most-recent and one of his "most trusted contacts, who knows this league inside and out and is respected on both sides of the aisle"? -- is it T.Rongen, is it B.Arena, is it K.Payne, or is it someone like P.Nowak who actually has some experience with the old Soviet Union?

17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're mistaking latent hostility for the sheer boredom of the latest johnny come lately that thinks those old fuddy duddy rules shouldn't apply to them.

You hear that TFC, you're not special any more.

Is being so blatantly uninformed of your examples a common practice?

It was my POV all along, you've moved the goalposts so many times you don't know what you're arguing for or against.

If they're starting or even playing regularly, it's a better judge of their relative talent rather than some bust they took a flyer on and now are stuck with.

Never said there weren't serious issues, you simply brought that up as a point of comparison with SuperSeattle which has exactly one year of play in MLS and never been displaced by the primary tenant of it's stadium, had it's RFP process torpedoed by the municipal government had it's GM replaced because he was too fan friendly, etc. If you had followed the league since forever, you'd know all this.

No, I didn't have you confused - I address the idiots as a group - saves time

See, now you're so mad you can't even use capitalization. See the thing with Justin is he was going to be traded after he signed a contract extension, but the coach convinced the FO to kill the deal and then benched the guy. But thankfully, that coaching situation has been rectified. But of course, a lot the "palpable anger" from people is still residual to the who stadium being located where it's at because it's inconvenient for them. Never mind that the actual city of Chicago was stonewalling all potential sites in the city to drive the team back into Soldier Field and into a lucrative (for the Chicago Park District) stay there with no schedule or revenue control. Then again, lots of people think billionaires should provide them with entertainment at an affordable cost to them too.

Yes it is. But I wouldn't stop to calling you retarded because it's both an insult to retards and it's not a nice word, so please stop being one.

It might, but that would mean just a few more "slaves" on the roster in most cases.

I don't think you have a very good grasp of that proposed change.

No amount of "good management" accounts for finally getting Paul Allen of Sugardaddy Inc on board. Otherwise, they're still in the USL

You want to send me a PM when you're going to drop some smack that's worth reading?

So you're an inbred too.

Just a matter of personal taste. You keep jacking off to your music, it isn't going to make it suck any less.

I accept your surrender, Keyboard Hoolie.

18. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United

It doesn't seem like a matter of being "cheap", though. The players aren't complaining about money; they're complaining about the system.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Fair enough. But apparently the most of the guys writing checks still do - and until that changes, the system will continue more or less as is.

20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I very much doubt it is even being discussed. Players already have "FIFA rights" pertaining to international dates. If they get called up, they go.

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Said by a fan of a team owned by a johnny-come-lately owner. Where was Red Bull when the league was struggling to survive and only Anshutz, Hunt, and Kraft stuck with it? Where was Red Bull when the first wave of owners like Kroneke decided to take the change and dive in?

22. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

That just puts us where we are in every labor negotiation. The owners think the players will break ranks, the players think the owners will.

23. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dear Freddie:

Did UEFA take breaks for the Africa Cup of Nations?

They didn't?

Kindly shut up then, Swedish Meatball.

24. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    and the players are now (apparently) asking/hoping to have the system to continue a little bit "less as is."

no one wants to bring the whole thing down, but these CB sessions are the exact point in time for the players to seek improvements for themselves, even if that involves changing (parts of) "the system" of operation of MLS.

again, the MLSPU seems to realize that single-entity will remain in place. they are looking for improvements that can be added in for the players while keeping that (successful for MLS) business model of single-entity.

to me (if I matter as a fan), it really is on the owners/league to show why their rigidity and strictness (especially on things like the reserve clause) are vital and essential to their business.

25. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Did CAF schedule the ACoN on official FIFA dates?