Cauldron location at CAB

Discussion in 'KC Supporters Clubs' started by KCRovert, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His quote from page 1 is still valid here. We asked about that. At this point it's not an option.

2. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I understand it, the right field berm (and the left field berm if we don't use it) will be the GA sections in the stadium layout. I don't know that they are terribly worried about injury if the section is just GA, as the activities will not be the same as the would be if it were the Supporter Group. As for possibly putting the Cauldron there, it is an option and it does come with a potential injury risk that they are aware of. This is something we talked about at great length last night, but an offset is the $8.33 per game ticket price.

I'm sure your post & pics will be reviewed by "the powers that be". What it comes down to is what they can and can't do as tenents in the facility...and cost vs benefit.

3. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wear your studs to the game like the youth kids do. Problem Solved!:)

4. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i so want the cauldron to choose the berm. that's just an outsider's point of view.

5. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ficklin was one of the architects on an original proposal for Morrison Stadium. I've been there. We've talked about it, believe me.

6. SamPierron

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I think it's less of a safety issue than everyone (me included) thinks at first. Why? See, people aren't *that* stupid. Behavior changes due to the circumstances. Last night, Kathie noted that she hurt her toe jumping up and down. Guess what? People won't jump up and down, then.

2. The berm *location* is ideal, no doubt about it, from a game interactivity standpoint...the berm itself is not, for all the reasons mentioned. Shook and I were standing at the bottom marveling at it...if you're down there, you're literally a couple of feet from where the goal will be. It's a position of power.

3. If you want to see The Cauldron absolutely explode again in size, the berm is the way to go. Even a very reasonable discount on the bleacher seat price would be nearly double the berm season ticket price. The gains of this year wouldn't disappear completely or anything, but there would be a consolidation

BTW, this is not "A" or "B". It isn't binary. There are still other options, I'm sure...but we're in a partnership, and whatever we do to that spot has to be acceptable to the T-Bones as well.

7. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i do think it is as big of a safety issue as thought of...

the incline makes it extremely difficult to stand on for a whole match, its hard on the ankles and knees even without prior injuries. this is a bad thing when people are having tired aching joints (as well as drinking involved) trying to have a good time. lets not forget all the flags that we will be having and if someone does fall and knocks a few people over some more damage will be brought on by polls. i dont believe in the domino effect politically but here i think it will be reality.

yes the price is ideal, yes some options were talked about to reduce the risk but we were told not to count on those possibilities and the risks too great for the cauldron to stand there

8. dwarf4hire

dwarf4hire New Member

May 8, 2005
    Raytown
    As it is now, I cannot afford any of those season ticket packages. I am reduced to buying tickets on a game-by-game basis. But after reading this topic I feel I need to add my own marginal weight (opinion-wise, not physical) to the earlier points.

1)I LOVE the location of the Berm, but the angle of the hill is very steep. For myself, any time it rains I would either be paying extra for a bleacher seat (which is highly unlikely due to the previously stated monetary deficiency) or staying home and watching on the tele.

2) The group should definitely stay together wherever the seating is selected to be. But can't there be an alternate section in Location A for those who are injured, too tired that day, or possibly too drunk to sit on the Berm that day? Those tickets could be the last sold, or designated as Cauldron 'Jump, shout and Sing, seating just as at Arrowhead so the area would always be open for the Cauldron's last-minute use.

It's just an idea. I know most of you buy your season tickets, but I rarely do. And I'm pretty sure that the majority of the visitors to a Wizards game also do not participate in the season ticket program.

3) Cleats would have to be a requirement for the Berm on regular days, not even counting the rainy days. And there might be something to be said for running some ropes or nets between handrails to separate the 'rows' and help keep the people from sliding down the hill or toppling into those in front. Just a thought.

3) Did I mention I really LOVE the location of the Berm? On the good days, that in itself would almost guarantee my attendance. It's the perfect location and ambiance for a futbal fan. Yes, I agree that if I was a real fan I’d stand there in the rain too, well, hose off, I won’t do that for any sport…except for women’s tennis if they played that in the rain, I mean…c’mon that’d be like a wet t-shirt contest and…sorry, got a little off track there.

4) Thanks to AG for still copying me on all of this even though I missed all but three games last season...sorry, I was busy trying to make a future for myself. I’ll let you know how that turns out some time in the...er…future. Nothing like being redundant.

Go Wizards!
    DFH

9. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've gotta go for the berm on this one.

I can understand why others would be against it, but the opportunity to have the Cauldron in a 100% true GA section that's THAT close to the field is too good to pass up, IMO.

10. SamPierron

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, how about this:

A "Cauldron Reserved" of bleacher seats behind that berm? I think it's clear that some people want to avoid the berm at all cost. If we can make the numbers work to have a section like that...thoughts?

11. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say that sounds like a pretty perfect compromise.

12. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Well... Hummm.

Opening night of the '08 season. Each Cauldronite finds a position on the berm and proceeds to stomp out a flat spot for themselves to stand on level ground.

Would improve the safety issue through some strategic "wear".

I ain't kiddin'. :cool:

13. slashersfc

slashersfc Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, I think that could work really well.

14. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    then you run into the financial problems of the bleachers...unless some of the things we talked about last night come into play....

i think it would be irresponsible for the wizards organization to let a section like the cauldron to stand on that incline, i understand why. but to have fans standing there for 90 plus is negligent at best.

15. RobbHeineman

RobbHeineman New Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Cauldronites,

Ok....so here is the brass tax on the berm. our partners, the T-Bones, will let us put permanent chair seating in the berm. the issue is that we are trying to keep the cauldron section with a relatively inexpensive ticket price which is tough to do if you tear out the berm, pour concrete and and put in permanent seats. in a perfect world, those seats would already exist, we'd charge you something cheap and it would be streamer central; but, for 2 years that's tough. unfortunately, this is one of the "issues" we have for 2 years, but the cauldron section in the new stadium is really cool, complete with smoke bomb pits and the like....so bear with us. as an alternative thought (and subject to ficklin pricing it out), what if we charged you something like $15/ticket and put you in bleachers in centerfield under the big "batter's eye" sign. i think we'd only be able to fit about 250 in that spot, but i think it would be good. as i said, i have to check with fick......that might be a $500,000 worth of cost...but just a thought.

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robb,

Sam, Fick, and those of us that were there last night thought that would make a good drunk tank, so that'd be perfect for the Cauldron. :D

17. wz187

wz187 Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I think the berm is the best "seat" in th house. If the wizards are not worried about people getting hurt, then let's do it. From what I have seen from the picturs though, I would not be willing to make that call if I worked for the wizards.

18. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, tried to respond with this before but apparently BS hates me so here I go again.

I was wondering about possible non-permanent terracing on the berm. I'm thinking something to the effect of large plywood terraces which were shaped according to the berm.... they'd have to be sturdy (which makes me think that there would be vertical 'floorboards' underneath which were also cut to the shape of the ground, whatnot) and have to not move (which I think could be done with large tent stake like things which would 'staple' the object to the ground, or just put lots of shorter stakes on the bottom of the 'floorboards' to give it a golf-shoe like design, maybe both if you wanna go crazy with it)... sure, it would cost a bit to make 'well' so that it would last and be safe and all that, but wouldn't be nearly as much as putting in a permanent terrace and would also not permanently change the stadium.

Perhaps I'm crazy and, while I enjoy building random stuff myself, I by no means have any type of formal education in anything to do with this - but I think it has the possibility to work. It would allow open and I really think that there's a way to build it so that it is sturdy enough and safe without being crazy expensive. But again, I very easily could be completely off here and you will all laugh at me and I'll have to cry myself to sleep for the next six and a half years...

19. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ummm ...:cool: ...yeah.

20. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robb, thank you very much for filling everyone in on the berm and the pricing situation. I'm sure we can come up with something that will work for everyone involved.

Yeah.

21. dwarf4hire

dwarf4hire New Member

May 8, 2005
    Raytown
    Ok, then if price is the problem for that damn hill, what if we just terrace it into several levels just like the bleacher seating would be, only with flat grassy standing room instead of bleachers. No concrete. No bleachers.

We can do each level two rows high for a small rainwall of those cheap garden stones you can buy at Home Depot for like, a dollar or something, and a bunch of volunteers could show up over a few days and we could do it all ourselves...or perhaps with some professional landscaping input.

In this manner, we take care of the safety issue, save on the overall cost of hiring an engineer and landscaping or construction crews, and we get the pride of designing and preparing our own area. We would then haveTerraced seating, but for standing room only. No hazardous hill. No mudslides on rainy days. I would stand in such an area proudly. (In fact, what's the chance we could actually do something like that in the new stadium...?)

And when we are not using it, The Bones can plant flowers and/or trees or even put advertisement signs in the area and make a little cash. Hell, if it's done right, it might even manage to look like intentional landscaping invisioned from the start. There's still the safety issue of falling on the stones instead of grass and mud, but that same issue exists in the bleacher sections anyway-and it's an alcohol consumption issue, not a design fault.

Just cleaning out the cluttered imaging room of my mind.

22. Masfaygo

Masfaygo Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Kansas City

would this be located in the field?? if so that sounds great to me. i understand that it will limit the growth of the group which might not be good.

23. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    And you've got the high rightfield fence there. I don't like limiting it to 250. That wouldn't serve our purposes very well, and we might as well be in the 18$ bleachers at that point.

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is something we discussed, but at this time that's not an option.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's referring to this area
    [​IMG]

The problem there is that there will be part of your site lines impeded by the field level seats.