Catalan independence and what it could mean for FC Barcelona

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by La Trucha, Oct 10, 2014.

?

Do you support Catalan independence?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Oh, I was under the impression that you lived in Barcelona. My bad. :p

2. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nationalism is stupid, so

[x] no

3. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    i agree with that, in a very general academic sense.

but given the histories of Catalunya and Euskadi (Basque Country), i see this more as a form of defiance and resistance against colonial imperialism.

imo, nationalism is a social tool that can be used to mobilize an invasion to colonize others (like when Spain invaded Catalunya and Eusakadi), but it can also be used to mobilize an indigenous resistance movement to survive an oppressive foreign occupation (like the Catalans and Euskaldunak refusing to let their cultures die when confronted by oppression, criminalization, and sometimes genocide).

but i can't claim to have much knowledge of the current political context in these regions, it's probably much more complicated these days. but at the very least i don't think this qualifies as the stupid kind of chest-pumping nationalism, and i will happily cheer in solidarity with the Catalan and Euskaldunak peoples.

inswinger, NYfan and Viscaelbarca repped this.
  4. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I live with my wife and a toddler, so I don't live on my own.:p

Cost of living is comparable to most cities. Smallish apartments, you pay for location. Housing prices have come down recently, though.
    Groceries aren't that bad, but eating out can be expensive. It all depends on your personal situation.
    If you share an apartment with roomates, cook instead of eating out, use public transportation, etc it's not that bad.

Salaries here aren't very high, but I can tell you that the quality of life is quite high, and makes it worth it.

La Trucha repped this.
  5. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I hear the football isn't too shabby as well. :p

La Trucha, jfcule and ShortyMac repped this.
  6. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on whether you're a fan of parakeets.

jfcule, inswinger and unclesox repped this.
  7. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    They get to see good football at least once a season ;)

8. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    Today in Berlin:

[​IMG]

unclesox and ShortyMac repped this.
  9. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Espanyol moved out to the 'burbs. Is Cornellà even considered proper Barcelona?

10. Barcafan161

Barcafan161 New Member

May 7, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Won't happen it would end la liga all together

11. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.participa2014.cat/resultats/dades/en/escr-tot.html

If the Catalan people REALLY want to break away from Spain, I guess we can't fight it. Look at the polls, 80.8% want Catalan independence.

Maybe FC Barcelona and RCD Espanyol can continue play in La Liga, much like how some Canadian clubs play in USA's MLS, NASL and USL.

12. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  13. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  14. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    or ... like how Mexico and Jamaica play in the Copa America?

15. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Not really the same comparison - nor is Liga MX clubs playing in the Libertadores - since those teams have their own continental tournament that they must prioritize. They're only playing in South America by the good graces of CONMEBOL's invitations before every tournament and don't always have to be considered. I'm also guessing they don't receive much of a say in tournament organizational matters although I'm not certain.
    They also won't get to participate in the FIFA tournaments that come with winning those CONMEBOL competitions (Confederations Cup and FIFA Club World Cup).
    Then again, Wellington Phoenix are unable to compete in the AFC Champions League... nor in the OFC Champions League. An extremely unique situation that possibly makes them the only professional club on the planet with literally no opportunity of qualifying for the FIFA Club World Cup.

jfcule, La Trucha and evil_allan repped this.
  16. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The thing about that poll is that it was just that, a poll. It wasn't a binding vote. And since you had to actively register and then go vote ON A HOLIDAY, there was an inherent bias. As in people who wanted independence went to vote, and people who were meh on it or against didn't bother.

17. lanu

lanu Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Barcelona
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I quite agree with you, but those sentences are usually said by people who live in a country they feel theirs to people who live in a country they don't feel theirs. I mean, when you say nationalism is stupid, do you mean the concept of 'nation' is stupid? Do you mean that Germany, the USA (or any other country) shouldn't exist because that's stupid? A French who wants France to exist as a country, as it is, is a stupid nationalist?

Ok, raising borders is not a solution. But I have the feeling most of the people who say that want their country surrounded by borders, with its own flag and national anthem. No borders? Cool, I like the idea. But no borders anywhere, then.

18. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    I'm down with no borders at all, I think it's very antiquated. Patriotism and nationalism is only fun in sports, there really isn't any other arena where I think those feelings are at all helpful.

Economically, which seems to be a big reason for the independence movement, it goes against it's own people, particularly a country that would be small like Catalunya, where they would have to import so much and pay new taxes and make new agreements and likely be out of the EU for a bit.

It only leads to the conclusion that Catalans that want independence want it for pride. I can't see how the average Catalan has their live improved by independence. The average catalan has more common problems with the average madrileño or vasco, than they do with the rich catalans except for language. The problems that the middle and lower classes are facing around the world is not of borders or nationalism, it's a distribution of wealth that is increasingly favoring the very rich, who then smartly make it about anything other than the money difference, so that they don't end up losing out on their profits.

19. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Has anyone here been to Andorra, or have some knowledge on the country? I'm wondering if, seeing that they speak Catalan, Andorra would be annexed by Catalonia should Catalonia become independent.

Is the culture in Andorra any different to Catalonia?

20. TheDark

TheDark New Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    There's no way the La Liga would try and prevent Barca from returning to the league if Catalan did vote for independence. I think any claims of this are just scaremongering in order to alter the vote.

21. anarchism_now2013

Jun 6, 2013
    Is UEFA going to ban fans from watching Barca at the stadium in the first few games of this season ? because they were waving Catalan flags at some Barca games last season ? I read about this not to long ago. I think it was for this upcoming season. Just wondering...

22. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barcelona was fined €30,000 because fans flew pro-Catalan independence flags at the Champions League final.

23. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    UEFA considered the option of enforcing a partial or total closure of Camp Nou for a few European matches but, as @Bootsy Collins says above, they only fined the club €30,000.

Regarding the "waving (of) Catalan flags", note that Bootsy mentions "pro-Catalan independence" flags.
    Officially called the Estelada, this banner is not recognized as an official flag but rather as a support for Catalan independence. It is not allowed to be displayed at UEFA matches as they are viewed as political statements.
    By contrast, the Senyera is the official flag for the region of Catalunya. UEFA has no problem with the displaying of this flag in European matches.

Bootsy Collins repped this.