Catalan independence and what it could mean for FC Barcelona

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by La Trucha, Oct 10, 2014.

?

Do you support Catalan independence?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm sure most of you are aware that Catalonia has been wanting independence from Spain for a long time. Well FC Barcelona has backed the Catalans for the vote of independence come November 9.

Should Catalonia become independent, FCB will not be eligible to play in La Liga.

The Spain squad would be very different and of course, the La Liga itself would be affected with the loss of FCB.

What else would happen? As a non-Catalan (I'm Galician through my dad) who supports Barcelona and Spain, I am against Catalan independence. What about you guys?

Discuss.

www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2014/10/11/5174032/barcelona-backs-catalans-for-independence-vote?=CMPID=FBINT_141011_BarcaCatalanIndependence

2. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I support independence IF that's what local voters support BUT (1) obviously Spain needs to recognize that vote (before it affects Barca); and (2) if all that occurs La Liga will never kick out Barcelona it'll be like Monaco as part of Ligue One in France. Basically the whole Barca not part of Liga hype of the last week or two is just b.s. to dissuade local voters from their very non-binding separation vote (non-binding in that Spain doesn't support it).

3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Why not?
    Seven clubs from Liechtenstein play in the Swiss league system including FC Vaduz of the top flight Super League.
    Three Canadian clubs - Toronto FC, Vancouver Whitecaps FC and Montreal Impact - play in the U.S.-based MLS.
    And you must be well aware that Wellington Phoenix play in the A-League.
    So I doubt FIFA would do anything to prevent Barca and Espanyol from remaining in La Liga.
    And despite their public threats I wonder if the LFP and/or the RFEF seriously believe it would be in their best interests to oust Catalan sides from their league system, especially high-profile FC Barcelona.

On a side note, if Catalan clubs were kept out of Spain I wonder how RCD Espanyol, who have royal patronage as part of their name ("Real") and logo (crown), would respond.

4. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    @Gilmango and @unclesox good points about teams from other countries playing in a league (which I am aware of in regards to A-League, MLS and Ligue 1). But even if FCB still plays in La Liga, the other thing that concerns me is the Spain national team; the Catalan players who are Spain regulars/starters will not be eligible to play for Spain. The absence of many great Catalan players will affect the Spanish team, whether or not you are a Catalan.

5. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    The reverse would be true also. As much I hate the Idiots, FC Barcelona would lose a lot if they left La Liga. As for the national team that would be worse too

6. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    [​IMG]
    As Eddie Money once sang, "Baby hold on to me..."
    Er, or was that Doris Day? :p
    But I'm with Gil. If the locals vote for independence and FCB support it then, as a long-distance fan, I'm willing to accept the footballing consequences.

7. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm a foreigner who lives and works in Catalunya. I understand why they want to be independent, and while I think we wouldn't really be better off on our own, something needs to change.
    And while I personally would probably be worse off, I'm all for the consult. I believe that no matter the outcome, if we live in a democracy, we have the right to vote on it. And right now people are being denied the right to vote on their own future.

And irregardless to the result of the consult, it would be vindictive and petty to deny FCB from playing in La Liga.

inswinger repped this.
  8. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

I got that sentiment from a taxi driver in Barcelona last year. He said he was from Zaragoza married to a Catalan and said that things need to change. Very interesting conversation it was.

9. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    La Liga needs Barca, and Barca needs La Liga (although the idea of joining France's Ligue-1 is interesting). it's just some paperwork to change those regulations.

Personally, i don't really care about the Spanish national team. I usually do cheer for them, but that has more to do with the Barca players on the team because I get great satisfaction when LPB players like Casillas embarrass themselves playing for Spain :)

10. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think if Catalan independence passes through--and it's still a long way--we might see ripple effects in European football. The RFEF can of course alter its rules to re-admit Catalan teams in its competitions, but this might also be the tipping point that will bring us a Europe-wide Super League. The current UCL set-up almost approximates this, but Barça in an independent Catalan league might get the big clubs to push for a permanent continental top-tier.

I wouldn't like this, as I've long enjoyed watching Barça play in places like El Riazor, the Sánchez Pijuán, and San Mamés. But there's no doubt the cultural, political, and footballing landscape would change if Catalunya separates.

11. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Would you say the Ligue 1 is better than La Liga?

12. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think it is dangerous/arrogant to assume that Ligue 1 will welcome Barça with open arms. Some French right wing nationalists have already this week issued a statement saying that they don't want Barça in their league.

And also, the opening question should IMO be; do you support Catalunya's right to choose their fate? and not wether we agree for them to do separate.

jfcule repped this.
  13. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I take it they don't like Monaco, in that case? Unless Monaco becomes a part of France..

14. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think Monaco is different. There are Catalans and Basques In France and these nationalists don't want to reinforce the quest for independence because it will kick off in France too

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Can you guys elaborate what need to change ?

Also I doubt Barca would stop playing in La Liga and switch to Ligue 1. Too much history and tradition with La Liga.

16. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Well, on my way to the airport I asked him on his thoughts on being independent from Spain. He said to me that he wouldn't mind as in Catalunya they pay more taxes to the central government of Madrid than anyone in Spain and they work the most whilst according to him other places like Andalucía, they work 30-40 hours a week, go home every time the temperature gets really hot and pay the less taxes. I think that they feel that Spain is holding them back from prospering and they are carrying other regions' weight on their shoulders. Just my thoughts.

celito repped this.
  17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Interesting. I wonder if it's because Catalunya has their own tax that's added on top of the ones imposed by Spain (Federal) similar to the US where each state imposes their own tax system. Generally that sounds very strange, but I did read this that suggests it is so.

http://www.it-intransit.eu/articles/catalonia-has-highest-taxes-spain

Maybe @jfcule can provide some insight since he lives there.

18. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Personally, I'd love to see Barcelona in Ligue 1, but I doubt it will happen.

19. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    When the world is becoming smaller, raising borders hardly seems like a solution. Should local government have more say where Catalan tax money goes, instead of the Spanish government? Probably so, and that is where the focus should go. Nationalism hasn't ever been good for healthy progress in a nation.
    Also, what if Tarragona decides they want independence from Catalunya or feel like staying in Spain? And then Northern Tarragona wants independence of Tarragona etc...At what point is the group of people or geography too small to ask for 'independence'?

Dage repped this.
  20. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Looking at how small Vatican City, Monaco, Andorra, San Marino, and Liechtenstein are, I guess there's no limit, really.

If it were up to me, San Marino would join Italy, Andorra to join Catalonia (which will remain Spain), Monaco to join France, and Liechtenstein to join Switzerland. I understand why Vatican City has it's own state though.

21. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Actually that article is pretty spot on, and lists most of the inconsistencies and unfair deals we get here.
    I can expand on two things I have personally experienced.
    -Cuts in healthcare. When the economic crisis started, and the thought of a bailout loomed over Spain, there were budget cuts all over public spending. I can tell you, that the Catalan healthcare system took the deepest cuts and got them years before the rest of Spain cut a dime, and to these day never recovered its former level.
    I have visited other in other communities and talked to other healthcare professionals elsewhere , and they have no limitations on expensive procedures or salary like we've had over here.

-Highway tolls. I have taken a few road trips in the past years, and I can tell you, there's a huge, huge disparity in tolls in Cataluña versus the rest of Spain. I paid over 30 euros just to get to the French border or to Valencia. (Less than a 2 hour drive, and about 3 hours, respectively) And over 70 just to get to Bilbao. Similar and longer distances in other parts of Spain get no tolls or very few tolls.

22. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I used those same tolls driving from Madrid to Barcelona via Zaragoza. Too damn expensive

23. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    @jfcule @Viscaelbarca, assuming you guys live on your own, is the cost of living in Barcelona that expensive?

24. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't live in Barcelona :)