Castel di Sangro [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: Clubs' started by BrianCappellieri, Jul 17, 2002.

1. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
  2. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
  3. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
  4. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    There is a book called the Miracle of Castel di Sangro written by Joe McGinniss. It's a story of an American reporter who goes to Italy to live for a year so that he can follow a team that rose from the 5th (or so) division to the second. Imagine your company's softball team being promoted to AAA baseball. It's a pretty good book, and if you are a soccer fan you should give it a read. Anyway, since a bunch of us have read it, we have become fans/followers of them to a certain degree.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=6A8T0CFGVG&isbn=0767905997

5. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
  6. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Just found out where ex-Castel di Sangro manager Osvaldo Jaconi went after leading Livorno to Serie B last season. He had moved to Catania, another C1 team (and got replaced by Roberto Donadoni at Livorno). Unfortunately, the reason I learned about it, is that Italian teletext just posted he got fired! :(

7. Nutty

Nutty New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    NJ
    Sue, that upset you?

When reading the book (which was fascinating IMO!) I found Jaconi to be very stubborn and narrow-minded in his coaching style.

Of course, a lot of that could have been through the authors eyes - since they disagreed so much. And really, what coach wants to see a writer waltz in and start telling him how to run his team. (LOL so yeah, in that sense I liked him.) ... But I think he could have done a much better coaching job overall.

Interesting note about Donadoni! I didn't know that's where he ended up. (Of course, I am a huge fan after his stint with the Metro)

8. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    That is the way he was presented by Joe McGinness. I thought McGinness was arrogant and full of himself, but that's a whole different thread. :) Of course, 99% of Italian coaches are "stubborn and narrow-minded".

I don't really have any personal interest in Jaconi's success or failure, but I wasn't going to put a smiley face by the news of somebody getting fired. I posted this because people show up now and then who are interested in the current whereabouts of the people in the book. Claudio Bonomi is at the "new" Fiorentina (Florentia Viola). Last I heard, Jonathan Spinesi was still at Bari, but I haven't checked lately.

9. Nutty

Nutty New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    NJ
    LOL Yeah, I can't argue with you on that (That Joe was arrogant LOL) And I mentioned it myself, that that was through Joe's eyes. But interpretations aside, I found some of Jaconi's decisions lacking.

(hehe and I liked your comment about '99% of Italian coaches.' Why stop at coaches, I'd say 99% of italians I know. (And my family is Italian so no I don't feel bad saying that. LOL!)

I knew about Bonomi (one of the reasons I am following the new Viola team). Didn't know about Spinesi. In fact, I've only heard updates about any of them here...

10. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Florentia Viola vs. Castel di Sangro

Check out this thread for Tree's match report, photos, and links.

11. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    One note about Bonomi from the Florentia Viola match...after the final whistle, the first thing he did was run over to the visiting fan section, take of his jersey and underneath he had on a CdS jersey, then made a gesture such as pounding his heart 2 times and then blew a kiss to them. I thought it was classy. Nice to see that some players dont forget where the roots are from.

12. Nutty

Nutty New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    NJ
    That was classy. See, I knew there was a reason I liked the guy! LOL

13. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
  14. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Another ex-Castel di Sangro spotting - Pietro Fusco now plays for Catania in Serie B. I assume it's the same guy as in the book. I noticed in a game report from their loss to Verona yesterday that he was called for pulling down Max Vieri in the box. Never seems to be good news when I see these guys. :)

15. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I see that Jaconi - aka "Mister Promozione" - has wound up on his feet again at Lucchese of Serie C1.

16. castel

castel New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Aberdeen
    Hey, does anobody no any thing about the team just now appart from that they just got relegated to serie d? Does signore rezza still own them, who is in charge etc? I think this forum should be kept up - its getting harder to find info on castel and they might soon be forgotten

17. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  18. castel

castel New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Aberdeen
    so sad - the town needs a football club to bring it together, and it would be especially tragic if they were to lose one with such a great history as theirs, even before the miracle. But i suppose thats what makes italian football so exciting - every rise and fall is exagerrated and quickened - this is what made the miracle possible in the first place and maybe people will just have to accept this result.

i wish i was a millionaire - i would be seriously considering throwing my life away in order to try and rescue the club again...oh well :(

19. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    wow a thread by BrianCappellieri revived!...

it is sad but its happeneing all over the lower regions of italian calcio. I'm sure there will be another group put together in time to launch the club again under a slightly different name...

20. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Well, just to continue with some of the "Where are they now?" stuff from earlier in the thread, Jonathan Spinesi finished the 2004-5 season as the leading goalscorer in Serie B, scoring 22 goals with Arezzo. He's since transferred to Catania over the summer.

Meanwhile, Jaconi is the new coach at Serie C2 club Ivrea. Bonomi played with Pro Vasto last season, but I haven't seen if he's been re-signed for this season.

21. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Jaconi's still a manager, eh?

NOw that I've got this thread going, some night when I'm bored I'll poke around and see what I can find on some of the players. I did that last year once, just looking to see if I could spot any players from the book era.

So no CdS this year at all? That would be a shame.

22. castel

castel New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Aberdeen
    Iv found this big website on player histories which gives information on where some of the former players are now, heres the link: http://www.playerhistory.com/club_statistics.asp?CLUBID=848&ACTION=findPlayers
    hope it works.

and about clubs reforming all the time - don't you think that once a club loses its name it also loses part of its character? its like its being detached from its history

23. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Clubs change names all the time in Italy. A couple years ago AC Parma became Parma FC. Napoli changed names last year. Nobody really cares all that much.

24. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti
    This is great, loved the book..what season was this? its been so long since I read it and dont feel like diggin up the book again..I see the current 2005 squad has a stranieri on the squad.. what would Jaconi think of that.. hah!!..

25. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My favorite Jaconi line is: "Io . . . sono bulldozer!" He
    says this while thumping his chest.

Rossonero23 repped this.