Cassar fired - next steps for the club

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by UPinSLC, Mar 20, 2017.

1. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So 10 days is all it takes for a thorough search?

Plot twist: the new coach is Sandoval who will announce Olmes as his assistant.

2. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome Coach Preki!

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petke rumors are a-flying.

4. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With as quick as this 'search' has gone, I'd be more surprised if it's not Petke.

RSLer and The Franchise repped this.
  5. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul Tenorio is claiming Petke will be announced as the head coach. Gotta think the Monarch's win helped him out. I wonder how many other candidates were actually interviewed.

Allez RSL, pate and 15 to 32 repped this.
  6. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Head Coach Interview process (transcript)

Craig Waibel: All right, we all together here to review our coaching candidates for the head coach position.

DLH: This is so exciting!

Waibel: Wade Barrett
    [silence]

Waibel: Jurgen Klinsmann
    [silence]

Waibel: Mike Petke

Petke: Here!

DLH: Wow, that was so quick. Easy choice.

Waibel: Wait, we're not...

DLH: Congratulations Mike, welcome back to the big leagues!

Waibel: But...

DLH: So, we're good to announce tomorrow. Alright, everyone back to work.

DrownedElf, RSLer, UPinSLC and 1 other person repped this.
  7. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't everyone assume that Petke would be the next coach after Cassar was unceremoniously sacked mid-season? That's why he was hired as the Monarch's coach. A 10-day search is rather long if your replacement is already with the organization.

I'd prefer Preki for coach, but.............I don't really care who the coach is as long as RSL starts winning again.

Ismitje repped this.
  8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is they did phone interviews with a few, but ultimately took what they saw of Petke in person and his win with the Monarchs at Portland and said ok.

Once again, though, Craig Waibel talks about stuff he is by no means required to do so and ends up with egg on his face.

RSLer and Allez RSL repped this.
  9. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt the even did the phone interviews. I think that they had already decided that it was Petke and used the time to find a new coach for the Monarchs.

So, the announcement today will be a double announcement, Petke as RSL HC and some other guy for Monarchs HC. Wouldn't that be cool if the Monarchs new coach was Sigi? Lulz!

RSLer repped this.
  10. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, as happy as I was to know that there would be someone else at the helm, this isn't actually filling me with excitement and confidence. Maybe it's because I would like to see a longer tenure as HC somewhere. His win % as HC is 41.46%. That is mainly from the one great season at NY when he had some pretty good players. Cassar would have a great win % if he was let go after the 2014 season. However, he wasn't, and look how well that turned out.

I will wait and see what Petke can do, but again, not going to be overly excited about this move.

11. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Kamrani reported that Chris Armas had been approached about applying for the job, but declined the offer.

I think they probably did phone interviews -- if anyone was interested.

12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, if it's Petke you can be sure they turned no stones.

13. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I am not sure that is a fair statement. It is possible that they had done their search in the offseason, knowing that Cassar was on a very short rope at that point. I really don't get the issue everyone is having with a search taking 8-9 days. That is plenty of time if it is the #1 priority you are working on... They have had time to interview people easily, you can fly someone in within a couple of days if you need too. I am sure they had a list of candidates before they fired Cassar and were making calls within hours of letting him go.

I would be MORE worried if this took over 2 weeks. I think that would show a big lack of perpetration for this possibility, not a more thorough search.

Allez RSL, Ismitje and 15 to 32 repped this.
  14. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    That all being said, if it is Petke, then I am sure they likely already had their man in mind at the start, and any search they did was more of a formality than anything. If that is the case, it is still possible that they talked to a number of people about that Monarchs position before going with Petke, knowing that the person they moved to the Monarchs would likely be their next head coach if they integrated themselves well over their short time there.

This is all speculation of coarse. None of us really know what is going on behind closed doors. But to assume the worst is still just an assumption that we are making due to our own uninformed judgement.

georg and 15 to 32 repped this.
  15. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Not particularly excited if Petke is the new HC.

I was right about Kreis. I thought he would be successful but I knew so much less about soccer than I do today.

Wasn't keen on Cassar. Luke warm at best with Petke.

If you want to be a club that is considered in "International" circles and a destination in the off season I would think that a coach with a stronger pedigree than Petke should be the goal. I know that a lot of foreign coaches haven't had great success but I think that in general it's trending more in their direction. I think the thought that only and MLSer can do the job is becoming shortsighted.

As always I hope that Petke can make RSL a real contender just as I hoped the best for Cassar.

Sadly, I think we are about 1 1/2 to 2 years away from hiring a new coach. If that's the case the new hire will be by the new General Manager.

16. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Anyone thinking Klinsman would come here is delusional and also hates RSL.

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be selling many of my season tickets if that had happened. That dude loathes this league so he was never going to do it, but also he's an asshole who would and then ******** up what Cassar did. Yes, that's not a typo. He would ******** up a ******** up

18. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I'm fine with Petke. He did a decent enough job at RBNY and you could see this coming as soon as he was brought on. As long as he keeps RSL in the playoff hunt and can build a strong development system (which RBNY has) then I think he'll be fine here.

19. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, isn't ****ing up a **** up the same as going in the opposite direction of the first **** up? Wouldn't that be a good thing?

15 to 32 repped this.
  20. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes it's good to be ****. Just sayin'.

15 to 32 repped this.
  21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #171 RSLer, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    The reason some here have an issue with the 8-9 day search is because Weibel said there is a ' list of candidates and we will thoroughly vet each one'. The same people said it would be better to have a short list already prepared so this can be done quickly. This is what happened, so I think most are pleased with that aspect even if they are disappointed it's going to be Petke.

I was simply stating that this was a done deal. If there was a "search" the long list had exactly one name on it. And I do not believe the story about them contacting Chris Armas. My guess is that all of the potential candidates out there also knew it was a done deal. Mostly I'm just smirking at RSL's elaborate pretense about a search and trying to make it seem like this wasn't all decided the day Petke rode into town.

22. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For whatever reason I cannot edit my post above. Waibel like said there is a "long" list of candidates.

23. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nor can I edit my post above this one, in which the word "like" was somehow auto filled in. Has anyone else's "edit" function disappeared?

Edit: Nevermind. It's now reached via the tool icon. My bad.

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also interesting in that interview - the contrast between Petke's personality and Cassar's. It's not an ocean of change, but it's a different mentality and vibe. I like it much more.

25. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    I feel somewhat vindicated.
    I think it is highly likely that they brought Petke on to replace Cassar in the first place.
    After sacking Cassar, all the talk about searching far and wide for the best coach was nothing but spin.

RSLer and ajr_RSL repped this.