Cassar fired - next steps for the club

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by UPinSLC, Mar 20, 2017.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three Mother ********ing Games. Dude. Dial it back

If we're in a shit spot come like June/July, yeah, ******** the season. But come on. You're like my father-in-law who watches a Utah football game and says "well we lost this one" after the Utes give up a first down in the 2nd quarter. Like, bro, the game is 17-7. I think there is time to make it up

RSLer repped this.
  2. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunny brought up in an interview that Fraser may be tough to pry away from Bill Manning and TFC.

I brought El Piojo up with some friends yesterday. I'd love to watch his passion on the RSL sidelines.

Ivensor and BalanceUT repped this.
  3. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    If, as Waibel implies, Cassar has been under a microscope since January, surely they have been compiling a list of available coaches since then.
    I would hope that are well along the path in this process of talking with candidates.

4. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Announcement will be that Kyle is retiring.

5. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    An alternative explanation is that after DLH inked the deal to play ManU, he realized he didn't have a world-class coach to lead the team against this world-class competition.
    Here's hoping that the next coach is "world-class" enough to give a decent showing against ManU.

6. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    /Tin-foil mode on/

So, Cassar was promoted to HC by Lagerway, who, knowing that he was going to jump ship for Seattle, decided to f@ck RSL royally so that they wouldn't be a threat to Seattle and gave us Cassar.

/Tin-foil mode off/

BalanceUT, The Franchise, RSLer and 2 others repped this.
  7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the list did not have Bob Bradley on it - just to make a run at him - then that would be a mistake. Sigi I could see going either way.

8. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always thought Garth knew he was leaving, and did everything in his power to sabotage RSL on his way out. So if that's a tin foil hat theory, pass the roll over here.

RSLer, El-ahrairah and goobx1 repped this.
  9. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I think this season could be rough going from an interim into a new head coach, but I'll hold off saying this season is lost until we see how long, and who eventually becomes the head coach.

The only thing I'm really upset about is that we didn't do this in the offseason, so we could actually find a proper coach instead of going after the few people that are currently available. Plus, it would've given them time to find players for whatever system they want to run. As it stands now, we have less options, and they don't get the luxury of finding players for their system.

Hopefully whoever comes in can work with what we have and at least have us on an upswing by the end of the season. I wouldn't say this season is lost, but I can see where it could be rocky until we have a set head coach. I do feel like we have a playoff caliber team, but also feel like the coach may have to make some unpopular choices to get us there. KB should probably play in a more limited role. Wingert should also be in a similar situation. At this point, I'm more impressed with the youth compared to Yura and Plata. Maybe giving them more minutes will cause the DP's to step up their game and earn their spots. Given our CB choices, I feel weird saying that we should maybe go with Glad and Schmidt as the starters. If not Schmidt, then I'd probably go with Maund.

15 to 32 repped this.
  10. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    No, that decision was 100% DLH.

SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  11. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Hopefully after watching the game he'll realize that we need world class players to assist our world class coach.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer repped this.
  13. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No to all three, for varying reasons.

The easy one - ******** Jurgen and his "tactics". If you thought Cassar had no plan, you'll be in for some long nights with Jurgen as coach. He'll have Yura playing Left Back and Tony as striker by week 7.

Donovan - I don't get why the RSL fanbase seems so enamored by the possibility of him coming here. It didn't work out as a player, it's not going to work out as a coach. Just let it go. The dude should stay in LA and get his shot there.

Borchers - I'm not ready to give another player, with zero coaching experience, the keys to the full team. I'd love to pull him into the staff to replace Tyrone Marshall - a guy who I can't believe still has his job. Groom him to be the next coach by either keeping him there for a few years or moving him to the Monarchs in the next year or two when Petke moves to something new.

DrownedElf, El-ahrairah, RSLer and 4 others repped this.
  15. fletch88

fletch88 New Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Tab Ramos?

16. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn 15....I find myself agreeing with you too often these days. That's quite disturbing.

As much as I like Nat, I wouldn't like to see him as the next HC for RSL. Let him come in and coach the defense. He was a very smart player and these younger guys could learn a lot from him. Maybe down the road see how things go.

Why even consider Sigi? He had a hell of a club in Seattle and they were tanking last season. I think maybe MLS has developed past his style and philosophy (and tactics). Plus, I still have a dream of a giant tifo of him chasing a giant tifo of a cheeseburger around the stadium. Wouldn't look good if that happened and he was RSL's coach. ;)

El-ahrairah and 15 to 32 repped this.
  17. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tab's got a pretty good gig right now. I don't see him leaving the YNT to come here.

ajr_RSL repped this.
  18. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on all these points. I nearly lost my mind yesterday when the collective mind of Twitter thought, and wanted, Kyle was retiring to become coach. I don't think anyone realizes how much of a lightning in a bottle event it was for Kreis to go directly from playing to coaching. That's something that likely won't be recreated for a long time. Petke, Olsen, Pablo, etc., all spent time as assistants before taking the helm. I don't want another inexperienced coach taking over. We need a guy with some sort of pedigree that can take over and actually manage and train.

DrownedElf, 15 to 32 and RSLer repped this.
  19. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Kreis when asked about Cassar's dismissal...
    [​IMG]

20. JZK316

JZK316 Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Land of Leprechauns
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan isn't coming here, he has his eggs in the San Diego expansion and will likely ride that one out how ever it goes.

21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When they show me so on the field I might believe it. At this point I can see nothing other than "hope" to indicate a recovery can happen. In this context I define "recovery" as "make the playoffs".

22. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't Kris hired after 4 games? Was that too quick?

BalanceUT and Allez RSL repped this.
  23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wait
    we've only played a few games since Kreis left? Shit, man, time is draggggggging

The Franchise and Allez RSL repped this.
  24. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, umm, Kreis isn't planning on coming back any time soon. Just reading between the lines here.

15 to 32 repped this.