Cassar fired - next steps for the club

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by UPinSLC, Mar 20, 2017.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PLEASE tell me this is about the Manchester United game. PLEASE tell me this is not KB becoming coach

rslfanboy, jessyca and Allez RSL repped this.
  3. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Petke. After what they said yesterday about how long and thought out the process may be, this would just reek of dishonesty if they already had it lined up. Not that I really trust anything the FO says anyway.

15 to 32 repped this.
  4. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, it better not be an announcement about Beckerman becoming coach, that would be absolutely ridiculous.

El-ahrairah repped this.
  5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is ManU all the way.

GoRSL and El-ahrairah repped this.
  6. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. I read yesterday that ManU opponents are suppose to be announced today. ManU will play 5 matches in USA with 3 of those against European teams. While it would be great that the delay was to announce Real Madrid as a opponent in SLC, IMO it is RSL.

Allez RSL repped this.
  7. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I agree with those who still voice concerns over Waibel. IMO, the secret about Kreis' success was Garth being able to bring in undervalued talent. I like some of the pieces that Waibel has put in place, but I think there are a lot of question marks. I guess now we get to see if removing Cassar but keeping Waibel has much effect or not...

pcny, 15 to 32 and G.dSilva repped this.
  8. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I just don't think RSL is going to pony up the cash to get Bradley. I also think Sigi might be on LAFC's short list. He's an LA guy after all.

Petke might be okay for me. I also like Freddy Juarez as well. Had he not fallen out with the FC Cincinnati GM and gotten fired, I would make a case for John Harkes.

GBS would be awesome but I'd worry about his command of English. Being a coach is also a big PR job and not being able to communicate in English might hurt. With that being said, is there a decent Liga MX coach who can speak English well and is a good coach?

9. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There has to be an Argentine team that doesn't pay it coaches well, or regularly, such that getting a proper regular paycheck in the USA would seem mighty appealing. Go find that person.

15 to 32 repped this.
  10. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I'm surprised Robin Fraser hasn't been brought up in this thread. We we decided he is not a good option? I have no idea.

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The locations they published makes me believe it'll be RSL. Especially now with KB being involved in the announcement today. United will play against us and San Jose and then 3 Euro teams in LA and DC.

12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh... what?

13. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My vote for Miguel Herrera. Make the STH gift a pair of commemorative boxing gloves and I will buy season tickets again. :)

rslfanboy, 15 to 32 and BalanceUT repped this.
  14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought about this one too. Too bad he's locked up with Tijuana

15. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing a little (or a lot) of money can't fix ;)

16. pcny

pcny Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    "Season Ticket Packages are still available!"

Lizzie Bee, Taragui and 15 to 32 repped this.
  17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. MOS5

MOS5 Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is Chelis up to? I'd like to see him back in the league.

19. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I find it interesting how this is the quickest firing in a new season in MLS history. It beat the last fastest by 1 game. Which was 2007 RSL of all teams. Maybe Hansen and Checketts aren't so different as we think. Hansen hasn't allowed a poor General Manager to trade a way an international spot permanently yet after all.

I am not on board with the idea that this club is a mess from top to bottom. I do like that Hansen is very involved with the club and cares so much for it. Much better than owners like those in Boston and Chicago. I don't know enough about the inner workings of the club to say for sure how much he is to blame for soccer related things. But I do know that since he has joined the club, we have all sorts of investments being made to our academy that many other clubs are likely jealous of. Hansen is doing his part in my mind to better the team and putting up money in a pretty small club in the league. Now if he is very hands on in the soccer side of things, which I have not seen any specific evidence, then that likely needs to be toned down a bit. I do think Hansen failed with Front Office personnel, thinking that they could be easily replaced. That can be understandable seeing as how they had all been there the whole time he had been, and it might have come as a surprise that RSL of all teams would have some great leadership behind the scenes. I will admit this was a fail. Hopefully one he learned from as he tries to right the boat. I do believe that Del Loy wants to win, and will make decisions he feels will help the team get there. That is better than some of these MLS owners who don't realize they have an MLS team.

As for Wiebel. I am not sure how he managed to go from Assistant Coach to General Manager. But it has been a bit of a rough learning curve for the guy. I am not confident that he is up to snuff for the role he is in. He has brought in some solid players. Sunny was great last year as well as Burrito before his injuries took over. Rusnak looks good as well. Schmidt might be a solid draft pick. Wiebel is doing a solid job of bringing in players who I think have quality. BUT he has't addressed issues that he himself has stated need to be addressed.

All of that being said, if we were going to fire one guy right now. The correct choice was made. Cassar was the weakest link. The player quality he coached didn't matter, he wasn't going to lead anyone to true success. If they can find the right Head Coach now to take over the team, I personally wouldn't be surprised if we have the talent at the club to be a competitive team. Playoff quality for sure. If that is the case, then maybe Wiebel isn't too bad after all. I don't think Cassar was doing Wiebel any favors by making this team play a really sloppy hot mess of a disorganized playing style. I am willing to give the guy a chance with a new Coach to see how things go.

20. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and that's where Javi would come in...

21. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    After the way he felt he was treated, I HIGHLY doubt Javi comes back to RSL in any capacity.

22. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Also, it is important to note, that for all of the reverence we hold for guys like Kries and Lagerway... we always complained that Kries didn't win the big games. And Cassar was promoted to head coach by.... Lagerway.

I am not sure what my point is other than to say, we can't look at the past with rose colored glasses while judging and comparing our current leaders with microscopes. Although, this is BS, so carry on. :)

Allez RSL, TheBiff and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  23. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Basically he's saying RSL has been a cluster. And because of that it's hard to know which direction they will go with a coach. Or is that just how I read it?

24. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    No rose colored glasses. RSL was always listed among the elite those years. We praise the Kreis era because the Kreis era was praiseworthy. Something RSL probably won't experience in quite some time.

25. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to be the "Show me and I might believe it" type. They haven't shown me that the season is recoverable. I'll define "recovered" as "made the playoffs".