PBP: Casey's 16th • 2 all time MLS scorers face off • Sat., Aug. 10 • 7pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Aug 8, 2019.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I know Kamara most likely won't catch Wondo for the goal scoring record. But hey, they've both proven themselves over a lot of seasons.

It will be interesting to see how both teams have reacted to the previous game.

Looks like it Howard's a 'maybe' for this one -

upload_2019-8-8_20-24-5.png

TheWarmBurger, SccrDon and Stuart95 repped this.
  2. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea what to expect from this one. I'm not convinced we're any better than we were when SJ beat us recently. OTOH, we did score 6 last week. Maybe if we get a LOT of set pieces we'll be able to win!

Andy126 repped this.
  3. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Previous Meetings
    Jul 27, 2019 SJ 3 - 1 COL
    Oct 21, 2018 SJ 0 - 0 COL
    Aug 11, 2018 COL 2 - 1 SJ
    Jul 29, 2017 SJ 1 - 0 COL
    May 13, 2017 COL 3 - 0 SJ

They are 2nd in west, we are last.
    They have 15 more points from 23 games than we do. (38 pts verse 23)

Also, below are the goals - about the same scored for but the Rapids have conceded a lot more.
    39 Goals 40
    48 Goals Conceded 34

I'm in the mountains and not going to make this one. Should be a pleasant evening to watch a game at the Dick.

Good luck Rapids. Then good luck San Jose in the play-offs; it's not that I especially like you guys, but I hate Seattle, LAFC, Portland, Dallas, RSL, and I'm kind of getting sick of the Loons; so that pretty much leaves me rooting for you guys and the Galaxy.

Oh, and don't catch the plague.

Andy126 repped this.
  4. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose never plays that well here, but the Rapids have given away many games to them here. Recall the playoff game where B. Ching scored a gimme early and we never recovered??? If we play well, then 2-0 or 2-1 Rapid victory.

R

5. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxy are the plague.

Altitude is a big advantage for you all... this Quakes team is the fittest I've seen so it will be interesting to see if we can keep pace this time.

Beerking and AlbertCamus repped this.
  6. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Prediction

It would be nice to build on our last win and score 8 but...

Ok more seriously
    Rapids 3-1 San Jose

AlbertCamus repped this.
  7. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Boy, San Jose dominated the Rapids a couple weeks ago. Playing at home should help, but i’ll Predict 3-2 bad guys.

Rod1916 repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-2 draw, goals by Kamara and Lewis. San Jose is still a good team and we're...not. I think we can reverse some of the damage from the first game by just playing better and having Kamara up front but I don't think we're good enough to actually beat them. An entertaining high-scoring game ends with a share of the points.

http://view-from-the-couch.blogspot.com/2019/08/inoculated-city.html

Totoro, Andy126 and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  9. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I doubt Lalas - or Kamara lol - scores another own goal in this game.

We will also have a full health Price/Acosta combo back. They provide ALOT more coverage than Danny Wilson. (Which of course means Wilson is probably gonna play, because this still is the rapids)

Finally, now that we’ve played San Jose in recent weeks, the players will be more ready for their second test against the man marking that SJ plays. We looked lost in that game until late. My bet is that tactical adjustments will be made.

I say it’s a 3-3 shootout with ample missed chances by both sides throughout, and a heckuva match, until the 90th minute. Rapids score off a late set piece to seal the win.

10. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Play us like the Loons and Columbus did and you'll walk away with the three.

11. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Well, you've seen the Rapids play. No special talent on D with some conspicuous weak spots, they try not to make egregious mistakes, then get goals off set pieces and counters. None of those things went right last time at Avaya. If that was due to the Earthquakes being well prepared for the Rapids' approach, the Quakes could do it again and make it a long night. It seems like teams should do a better job against the set pieces.

The Georgian winger (name escapes me) had a pretty killer goal in that game, a thread-the-needle rope to the far post.

12. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I feel like Tommy Smith is going to do something big in this game. I just don't know if it's going to be good (header goal off set piece) or bad. I don't think he'll repeat his spectacular own goal but it seems like it's been a while since I've seen him holding his head after watching the ball roll around in his goal after getting pulled out of position.

13. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    jrowe13 repped this.
  14. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Vako. :)

Totoro repped this.
  15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I'm guessing that only one of the Nicholson - Lewis pair will start as that seems to have been the norm since Lewis's return from the Nats. Neither has been going the full 90 so it looks like one will start and the other will come off the bench.

Also, Shinyashiki seems to be in favor with Casey currently, so I'm betting he;ll start.

18. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Shot in the dark question. Anyone know if there is a bar in Portland that might show the Rapids game? Thinking I won't hit the timbers game but focus on breweries instead.

19. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Richard Fleming says this is his 200th game for Altitude:

1160220102517673985 is not a valid tweet id

JasonMa repped this.
  20. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Is Lewis still nicked up? Any ideas on why he isn’t starting?

21. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Probably because we’ve got a game in Minnesota on Wednesday and in Houston on Saturday. I’m sure Casey is trying to keep as many people fresh as he can. I imagine he’ll come in as a sub for Nicholson and try to ignite some pace in the game and then he will start on Wednesday. Bassett and Mezquida will probably start on Wednesday as well

fortcollins, JasonMa and Andy126 repped this.
  22. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Forgot about the match on Wednesday. Good point.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus we scored 6 goals with this lineup last week. If it ain’t broke...

Andy126 repped this.
  24. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I have a feeling Tommy Smith will have a beer tonight...

JasonMa repped this.
  25. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Wondo wondo’d it! Beautiful symmetry!

jrowe13 repped this.