PBP: Casey's 15th • There will be Fireworks • Sat., Aug 3 • 7 pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Aug 1, 2019.

1. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was. The Rapids have given up 6 several times (and 7 in one really awful match I remember from eons ago). Scoring 5 has been rare over the years, too.

Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.
  2. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Six goals for, a hat trick on goals and assists, and a 10+ goals per year player?

[​IMG]

3. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Not many people there today. Gee, it's just a little bubonic plague.

Did anyone notice after the 6th goal, a prairie dog popped up on the video board after they showed the highlight?

Sports Yak and JasonMa repped this.
  4. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Nice to see Michael Azira get in, though that seems like an odd last sub when down. Are the Impact short on attackers? I saw him go over to say hello to C38, very cool.

Putting in Lewis is the right call since they need to get him playing time and do what they can to develop him.

But if you've burned a sub on a keeper already and are trying to win the game, I'd like to have seen Mezquida there. He's been great in the super sub role.

I'd rather see Lewis develop at this point though. He seemed rather quiet once he got in.

Price seemed like he had a good game out there, not even counting his corner kick deliveries.

5. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    From the MLS write up:

And

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Single season scoring record is 16 by Casey in 2006. Does Kei have 6 more goals in him in the last 11 games? His current pace would have him at 16.2 goals.

COMtnGuy, Totoro and Andy126 repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last 3 goal game - June 1st against Cinci

Last 4 goal game - April 10th, 2015 @ Dallas (we also scored 4 against Montreal at home in 2014)

Last 5 goal game - June 17th, 2014 in a USOC match against then USL side Orlando. Last time in league play was Oct 5th, 2013 against Seattle. This was also the last time we scored 4 goals in a half

Last 6 goal game - Never

8. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    So...how do they get rid of plague in the Arsenal? Do they spray a wildlife preserve for fleas and kill the prairie dogs?

Edit:

Guess I should have googled before posting. From the arsenal website:

AlbertCamus and JasonMa repped this.
  9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    That was a strange game, and I don't mean the six goals from the Rapids. Until the own goal by Kamara there didn't seem to be a lot of passion on the pitch. The Rapids seemed to have the better of the play, but Montreal were getting a lot of CKs.

Going down a goal seemed to empower the Rapids and they were just relentless. It also looked like the Impact were a step slow. I have been chalking it up travel + altitude + heat.

I figured at half time that there would be more goals, just that they would be by the Rapids. Of course it would be that the Impact score just enough to make it interesting for a few minutes.

Props to the Rapids for continuing to attack which proved to be the winning strategy.

Full highlights:

As for the plague and ticket issue, it seemed to conspire to make it the easiest entry into the stadium I've experienced in a long time. No lines at gate G and the scanning went quickly.

Andy126 repped this.
  10. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't remember of crazier Rapids game than that and oh what a lot of fun. I really wish I could've been there (rather than last night's DC United uninspired loss to Philly).

I didn't see any plague-related banners on the broadcast. I'm sure there had to be some; anyone have any pictures?

11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  12. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the strangest match I've ever seen, Rapids or otherwise.

We were (narrowly) out-possessed and out-shot, burned 2 subs on a GK and a CB, conceded an OG and a PK... and won!

Anybody have any news on Howard and Smith? Also, Wilson took the last couple of goal kicks, so is Irwin also hurt?

Andy126, Totoro and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Andy126, COMtnGuy and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  14. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the telecast, Balboa mentioned a 7-4 Rapids win over LA during his time (1998 or 1999 I think he said). Not sure if this was a US Open match or what....

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then Balboa got it wrong. It was a 7-4 loss to LA, the highest scoring game in MLS history.

AlbertCamus and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  16. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    It's actually the highest scoring game in MLS History, and unfortunately it was a loss. May 6, 1998.

LA Galaxy 7 - 4 Colorado Rapids.

We're not in the record books in too many places, but we're on the wrong end of that one.

We're also in the record book for worst single game goal differential. The widest single game goal differential was 7, but we've tied for second widest single game goal differential. Twice. We lost by 6 goals to none against the Galaxy in 2014....and then that same scoreline again in a game that shall not be mentioned in 2018.....

Sadly, we've got some other not so great records:

• 5th most goals allowed in a season - 69 in 1998
    • 9th fewest goals scored in a season - 29 goals twice - 2004 and 2007
    • Tied for 7th most losses with 21 in 1996
    • Worst Overall Goal Differential with -137 over all of our 23 seasons combined.

Now that being said, we've also got some positive history.

• MLS Cup Winners. We're one of only 13 teams that have done it.
    • Tied for 7th longest home unbeaten streak with 19 games from March 12, 2016 to March 18 2017
    • Tied for 5th longest unbeaten overall (home/away) with 15 games from April 13, 2016 to July 23, 2016
    • Tied for 10th most consecutive postseason berths in a row from 2002 - 2006

17. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Didn't see your post when I was posting mine there good sir!

JasonMa repped this.
  18. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Totoro, UxSxAxfooty and AlbertCamus repped this.
  19. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Crusty has been getting a lot of press.