PBP: Casey's 14th: Rapids "Shake Rattle & Roll" their way to San Jose to face the 'Quakes 7.27 @ 8pm MST

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by TheWarmBurger, Jul 25, 2019.

1. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're now one of the top teams, according to Homer.

2. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Anyone else having issues with Altitude on Xfinity?

Literally every other station comes in fine, but Altitude is completely pixelated.

ESPN+ is blacked out, so my only way to watch is on my laptop; and the app doesn't allow Airplay to the TV. Dammit!!

3. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice skill from several SJ players.

Nicholson's speed was nice at least one on the right side, but I think that's the only time they broke him forward?

4. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids held San Jose to 91% passing accuracy in the first half.

COMtnGuy, Andy126, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.
  5. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed the first 5 minutes and we're down a goal. Abu may need some help with directions. TBF, he has to try to make a play there, so I can't really blame him on that goal - the problem was on the other side.

1st half thoughts:

• Overall, we stink.
    • Hope I never see Wilson take another free kick.
    • Has Lewis touched the ball?
    • Just can't keep the ball. At all.
    • Kamara will throw himself at any ball at any time to try to score.
    • Really nice work from Vako for the 2nd goal.

6. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And SJ only scored once.

7. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Cello: “A few little mistakes.” No, that was total domination.

SccrDon repped this.
  8. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shinyashiki on for Kei.

9. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Unfortunately Altitude is coming in very clearly.

10. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still watching SJ broadcast (as I don't have access to Altitude) - it's nice to know that there are other local broadcasters who are idiots as well.

Stuart95 and Dom. FC repped this.
  11. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the broadcasters aren't any better than whomever decides which camera to show? That dude needs a new job.

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  12. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting sick of Fleming and Balboa whining about the refs.

m vann, fortcollins, AlbertCamus and 5 others repped this.
  13. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Far more skill all night by SJ:

14. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bed time - taking the dog to the dog park early tomorrow morning, so I'll go get my beauty sleep.

15. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Wow !!! What an amazing effort. First goal scored by the Rapids at Avaya stadium!! Let’s have a parade!!!!!

16. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Definitely not the Rapids night. Players we count on....

Nicholson - didn’t play very well
    Rosenberry - didn’t play very well
    Kamara - couldn’t stay involved in the game so had to drop back on defense to get the ball
    Abubakar - stuck between a rock and a hard place most of the evening
    Lewis - got lost for long stretches of the game
    Acosta - worked hard but couldn’t make any impact
    First touch - horrendous by everyone

San Jose really showed how to play harassing soccer tonight. There was 0 space whenever a rapid received the ball. No space whatsoever. I’m shocked we even scored to be honest. We could barely breathe without a player on our back tonight.

Tough result, in a tough game, against a tough opponent. Almeyda has done an amazing job with most of the same players San Jose has had for a couple years now.

Casey has shown his weaknesses in the last few games. Hopefully we can get a coach to do for us what Almeyda is doing for San Jose...

17. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    KSE will never pay for a good coach. They will pay bargain basement prices for a wannabe head coach and hope they work out.

Remember... the Rapids are just a minor league team to them

18. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    To be fair, our homer announcers, especially Dangerfield, have hyped our team throughout, season after season, in spite of our putrid performances.

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  19. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it appears that Conor is past his "new coach bump" and other teams have figured out the Rapids. I certainly don't blame Casey, since he's done rather well under the circumstances. For someone with zero head coaching experience, he's exceeded expectations.

But to me, the true test of a coach is how he is able to adapt when, like most teams, the squad goes through a bad spell and the things that were working before are no longer getting the job done. And for that, you need a guy who has been through it a few times.

Robin Fraser seems like a pretty good choice at this time although I'm not sure where that particular deal is at. Are we going to wait until the end of the season to make a move? Or are the RFO being stupid again trying to save money on coaching salaries?

m vann, COMtnGuy, MrPerfectNot and 2 others repped this.
  20. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I didn't realize who San Jose's coach was. Chivas' (mothership version) 1st championship in over 10 years, plus the CCL. That's no small thing.

Also ex River Plate, though I haven't looked up how he did there. Got them promoted back to the 1st division, but presumably that wasn't hard given their resources?

If the Rapids aren't going to go for that level of coach, is Fraser really going to be much better than Casey? Seems like a rearranging deck chairs on the titanic sort of thing.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  21. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bodmer Line: 23/12 = 1.917 PPG (points needed to snag last playoff spot at 43 point average divided by games remaining)

Kroenke Line: 6/12 = 0.500 PPG (maximum points that can be earned to win the average Wooden Spoon at just over 26 points). The Spoon leader is currently on pace for 25.2 points. The Rapids are still off the pace for the Spoon, and it would take 0.416 PPG or worse to catch FC Cincinnati.

Hudson Line: = no longer in play, measuring the PPG needed to become the worst team in MLS history. The record is 16 points, still held by D.C. United (3-24-7 in 2013). All teams are over 16 points now.

Rapids: 5-12-5, with 20 points in 22 matches = 0.909 PPG, on pace for 31 points for the season, after completing the worst first third of a season (2 points) in MLS history.

Rapids: surrendering 2.045 goals per match (45 goals in 22 matches) on pace to surrender 69.545 goals for the season. The current MLS record is 74 goals allowed (Orlando City, 2018). The Rapids would have to surrender 2.500 goals per match the rest of the season (30 goals in 12 games) to be the worst defensive team in MLS history.

Coaching comparison:
    Hudson: 0-7-2, 2 points, 0.181 PPG in 9 matches. 12 GF (1.333 avg), 24 GA (2.667 avg), Diff = -12
    Casey: 5-5-3, 18 points, 1.385 PPG in 13 matches. 21 GF (1.615 avg), 21 GA (1.615 avg), Diff = 0

Lest we ever forget: Hudson’s all-time Rapids MLS regular season record: 43 matches as head coach, 8-26-9 record, 0.767 PPG; 48 GF (1.116 avg), 87 GA (2.023 avg), -39 differential.

22. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys sure aren't having putrid performances now. You're on a roll. SJ's attack last night was an all-out assault from a well-coached side.

COMtnGuy, Sports Yak and Beerking repped this.
  23. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s one of the few things they report on accurately. MLS officials are a joke.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  24. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    It's 100% Almeyda, his philosophy and work ethic have transformed our 2018 four win team into what you saw last night, frankly we're in shock.