PBP: Casey's 12th Symphony - Rapids take on the Timbers in Hispterville for the Snow Classico Rematch

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by TheWarmBurger, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sam Nicholson now running riot gets fouled in the attacking third.

2. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diego Valeri coming off...

3. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Wow, not sure what happened, Mezquida wide off a Lewis cutback. Could have been some contact.

4. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Gah, wow. They should have won that one. They sure created a lot of shots.

I suppose no one expected a win here, so I shouldn't be disappointed with a point.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These posts did not age well.:D

6. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    If he didn't have to come out with a knock, Kamara would have scored one and assisted on another! ;)

7. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    These are the times I like being wrong. Coulda easily been a win, but a tie in Portland is productive ball.

22SteveD and UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  8. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    #83 Dom. FC, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    I think they put a bird on it.

Fun match to watch (except so late) had everything really. Win was there for the taking and we came really close. If they bet significant $ on MLS matches they should investigate that own goal. Hope that cutting a slice off the log was not a victim of the stadium upgrade -- loss of something for the whole league if it was. Green smoke caldron (Emerald City is Seattle?) doesn't make up for it at all. Chelo was right about needing three points not one against 10 men and wrong about an offside that the AR got right.

9. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Playoffs are out, I don’t mind this outcome to see how CC continues to preform. Like in baseball prospects, you really don’t know what you have until they overcome some adversity.

It just too important that we nail this next HC decision.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  10. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Some random thoughts from last night's game:

• Small group at Frolic, but I appreciated being there with other fans. Looking forward to it becoming our home up north. Seems like it is already sticking.
    • The Timbers field seems small and crowded. Just seemed like no open space and everyone was bunched up. I haven't checked the dimensions, but it just seemed tiny.
    • The Rapids played better when 11v11. Not sure if they relaxed a bit when up a man. It just seemed a bit off after that.
    • Really like watching Nicholson and Lewis. Happy to have them back. If we had Price and Acosta, I really think this turns into a win.
    • Rubio just doesn't do it for me. I know others like him, but he whines a lot, gets hot-headed, and occasionally does something great.
    • The Portland keeper really got them the point. He did an amazing job on several of those shots. Seriously impressive. It could have easily been a multi-goal win had he not done so well.
    • The only goals Portland "scored" were by Owen Goal and a PK. A couple of decent shots came in, but the D did a good job of locking down a very dangerous attack.
    • Smith really looked solid on that Own Goal. Nice shot that would beat just about any keeper. Just sucks he forgot which team he is on.
    • Overall, a solid effort by the team. We had 3 points for the taking, but a few small mistakes dropped them. It is nice to have a competitive team now. Still don't expect playoffs, but just nice that we don't suck as bad right now.
    rod.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    AlbertCamus repped this.
  12. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to Coors to watch the Reds take extended batting practice last night. At least the Rockies held them to a couple dozens hits. grrrrr.

Bodmer Line: 23/14 = 1.642 PPG (points needed to snag last playoff spot at 43 point average divided by games remaining). It's slipping out of reach, if it ever was in play.

Kroenke Line: 19/14 = 0.643 PPG (maximum points that can be earned to win the average Wooden Spoon at just over 26 points). The Spoon leader is currently on pace for 27.5 points. The Rapids are still well off the pace for the Spoon, and it would take 0.536 PPG or worse to catch Columbus. Yes, Columbus.

Hudson Line: = no longer in play, measuring the PPG needed to become the worst team in MLS history. The record is 16 points, still held by D.C. United (3-24-7 in 2013). All teams are over 16 points now.

Rapids: 5-10-5, with 20 points in 20 matches = 1.000 PPG, on pace for 34.0 points for the season. This is still impressive after completing the worst first third of a season (2 points) in MLS history.

Rapids: surrendering 2.000 goals per match (40 goals in 20 matches) on pace to surrender 68 goals for the season. The current MLS record is 74 goals allowed (Orlando City, 2018). The Rapids would have to surrender 2.5 goals per match the rest of the season (35 goals in 14 games) to be the worst defensive team in MLS history.

Coaching comparison:
    Hudson: 0-7-2, 0.181 PPG in 9 matches. 12 GF (1.333 avg), 24 GA (2.667 avg), Diff = -12
    Casey: 5-3-3, 1.636 PPG in 11 matches. 19 GF (1.727 avg), 16 GA (1.455 avg), Diff = +2

Lest we ever forget: Hudson’s all-time Rapids MLS regular season record: 43 matches as head coach, 8-26-9 record, 0.767 PPG; 48 GF (1.116 avg), 87 GA (2.023 avg), -39 differential.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  13. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It wasn't in play. :)

fortcollins and JasonMa repped this.
  14. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I know the playoffs were a pipe-dream, but we do live in Colorado where pipe-dreams are legal. That being said, I still subconsciously held out a sliver of hope had they taken three points in Portland and a plausibly easy next four game stretch.

All thoughts of playoffs are now gone, never to return, which shows more about my sanity than real life. That was an interesting second half--shoulda, coulda, woulda.

15. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    The life lesson is 'when you discover you are in a hole -- stop digging (sooner)' we'll never know if CC could have made a similar turnaround if he had been given the reins sooner. Heck we don't even know we are 'turned around' or just had a Hudsonexit bump with normal service to resume soon -- eyeball test says they are at least watchable now.

Sports Yak, JasonMa and COMtnGuy repped this.
  16. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Looks like it was a good game (only watched highlights). Yes, play-off hopes are slipping. Bummer.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Fair enough. Dems the rules lol.

Also, did everyone see that SKC lost to NYCFC 3-1, and played down a man? They allowed two goals before going down a man, then let in the third.

I guess that means we’re better than SKC right?:thumbsup:

JasonMa repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh, put that NYCFC post in the wrong game thread. Mods, feel free to clean up.