Carson Yeung

Discussion in 'China' started by blue87francis, Jun 17, 2007.

1. blue87francis

blue87francis New Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Birmingham
    Hello all, I didn't really know where to post this but i think this is the best bet to get some information.

I'm a Birmingham City supporter and there has been some rumours that Carson Yeung is looking to buy us. I've heard that he owns Hong Kong Rangers and is a Billionaire. I've also heard that he fired a manager because he didn't win for 4 matches.

Can anybody tell me anymore about him. I would be very grateful.

Keep Right On

2. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    I live in HK but I've never heard of this. Probably just a rumor.

Excape Goat should know more about this guy.

3. dqma

dqma Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Montreal
  4. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Looks like it's not just a rumor:

http://sports.sina.com.cn/g/2007-06-19/21062991864.shtml

Looks like the deal is just waiting to be finalized.

Article says Yeung owns several publicly-traded companies and money injection is not going to be problem.

I want him to buy some Chinese players if this deal comes through.

5. seb_perpignan

seb_perpignan Member

Jun 5, 2005
    france
    Club:
    Shandong Luneng
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    The owner of birmingham want 50M£ for the club (99M$) , that is so little !!!!! how come u can by a team for that cheap and need to pay something like 40M€ for a player !! chelsea with the price of just 2 or 3 players u can 2 EPL clubs?

6. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Because everyone knows Chelsea has tons of money and every agent in the world wants to rip Chelsea off so they jack up the asking price.

7. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Could you imagine Fan Zhiyi on the board...:D

8. mike hunt64

mike hunt64 New Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Chelmsley Wood, Birm
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  9. mike hunt64

mike hunt64 New Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Chelmsley Wood, Birm
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  10. goalie23

goalie23 New Member

May 8, 2009
  11. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Apparently he has to seek his companies' shareholders' approval. There will be new stock options on offer to shareholders to finance the purchase. He claims the purchase of the club will help to diversify his business, which includes apparels among many things.

That means he is buying the club using other people's money. He said he will make GBP 5 million available to purchase new players out of his own pocket. He is not looking at bringing Chinese players into the team right now, because first of all the club must be successful.

He had wanted to buy the club before, but it was relegated last season. Now that it is back in the EPL again he is making the offer.

12. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Don't buy his company's stock. He's not putting his shareholders' interest in the first place. How on earth can one MAKE money by investing in a football club is beyond me. It's a money-burning business and good luck if he can break even without carrying huge debt, let alone make any money.

13. Only_ONE_United

Nov 30, 2008
    Vancouver/Hong Kong
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Thats a subtle (or not) punch in the gut which once again painfully highlights the problems our domestic players/teams/league are having and how this negative perception is quickly reducing the amount of chances Chinese players are going to get overseas and improve.

In terms of buying a relegation-fodder club like that, I guess that is what happens when you have too much money to spend and you run out of ideas of what to spend it on. ;)

14. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    http://www.reuters.com/articlePrint?articleId=USSP18139720090915

Here we go again. :)

15. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I think it's as good as a done deal.

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2009/September/16/yeungs-birmingham-takeover-a-boon-for-china/

However, I really hope he doesn't ruin B'City by bringing Chinese player there. There's a reason that there isn't any Chinese players in the EPL, because right now, they all suck. Please focus on how to keep B'City in the EPL. There's no way Carson has the kind of cash Chelsea and MCFC does to turn the club into an instant success (MCFC is still in the process, nothing to show yet).

I am not sure how this is going to help Chinese Soccer and I am not sure what he meant by bringing an EPL club into China.

Quote from him:

"Over the past 10 years China has had its sports boosted, but there has been no development for football," Yeung told British reporters when lodging the takeover bid.

"So I would like to make my humble contribution. In the future, when the team is stabilised, we will recruit Chinese players who have potential.

"My biggest wish is to bring the English Premier League club to China, promote English professionalism and football concepts to the Chinese, and to let the Chinese know how a English football team is managed."

Chinese football has long needed a saviour.

No doubt, we need a saviour, but I am uncertain as to how this is going to help.

16. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bringing useless Chinese players to Birmingham is not going to help anyone. But if promising young players like 8-10 years olds are taken to Birmingham to be trained properly, then even if they don't make it at Birmingham first team, they can still be good for the CSL or the Chinese NT.

Then again you don't need to buy a EPL club to do that.