Carolina Railhawks considering opening an all-day soccer school

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by superdave, Apr 13, 2014.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This could go in several different forums, but I decided this was the best place. Mods can move it if they wish.

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=ec7bd862a072e3e1a04810e81&id=b29b0af88a&e=0030e2cc1a

So it seems like they want to start a mini-Bradenton. Very, very interesting. A couple bits of, I think, relevant local information. North Carolina does NOT have a school voucher program. However, a very pro-charter school group controls the state legislature and the governorship. Until very recently, NC had a cap of 100 charter schools for the whole state. Now, there's no limit. Finally, SAS, a fairly big/important software company, has opened a school in Cary.

I mention those 3 things because it might help people not from here understand a) how good the school might be academically and b) how the Railhawks might be able to make it cost out. For several years I've speculated that local clubs and MLS and minor league teams would open up residential academies as charter schools, but so far as I know that hasn't happened yet. This article doesn't say that's what they're going to do, but unless they do, it seems like a money pit, or just an academy for rich kids. NC doesn't have private school tuition support, so how else can they pay for the school?

Thoughts?

CHHSfan repped this.
  2. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The Philadelphia Union have recently opened up such a grade 8-12 school. Soccer training, nutrition, and college prep courses. As far as I know a ton of corporate funding allowing for young players who can not afford the cost to attend on school financial aide

3. Tone Capone

Tone Capone Member

Dec 6, 2005
    SF Bay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I definitely think this is the answer as far as the US winning the WC is concerned. Obviously, it would be this idea but everywhere. The college prep would appease our American school-centric culture, and the year around soccer training would raise the level of play across the country. They could have fall and spring outdoor training, and winter indoor training to round out their skills.

I wonder how valuable a USA WC win would be to Nike. If they did that math, and found that these schools were the best way to achieve it, I wonder if they wouldn't sponsor schools all on their own.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  4. GASOCCERFORUM

GASOCCERFORUM New Member

Apr 14, 2014
  5. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    we could use one of our billionaires to step up as a benefactor for us soccer.

6. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They beat the Galaxy on a regular basis. I think they earned the right to do what they want.

7. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Philadelphia Union. YSC High School college Prep Soccer Academy grades 8-12

www.yscacademy.com

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YSC costs $15,500 per year. I don't think that's scalable in terms of improving US soccer.

I don't know why I didn't do this earlier, but I just took the survey. There's a question in there asking how much you'd be willing to pay, so I don't think the Railhawks are talking about a charter school.

Unless these are charter schools, to me, they are just a way to get money out of rich parents.

9. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It seems to me that a good soccer academy should be targeting students who want to become professionals at 18, either for their MLS team or to be sold into the market. A college prep curriculum doesn't seem to fit this very well, unless there's actually a non-college prep track.

10. BigRedNole

BigRedNole Member

May 5, 2014
    I live here and read about that. My daughter is years from this. If she was committed to soccer, talented enough, and able, I would consider it. I live next door to the main soccer complex in the area (less than 100 ft away). I have watched the talent on the boys side from their academy teams at U13/14. The skill those boys have, the soccer IQ is impressive.

11. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That is a very interesting suggestion. Not everyone is made to go a traditional college route and there are many ways to educate for the modern job market. What would you have in mind a regular HS track of classes or a vocational/Tech specialties track as well?

12. FCCali2016

FCCali2016 New Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Love this idea of clubs creating their own academic schools I believe this is the next step forwars for the evolution of soccer in the United States. If im correct their are a few out their already. Heres a thought, what if private schools that are soccer powers such as Jeauit High School in Sacramento, DeMatha in Hyattsville, St. Benedicts Prep in Newark, or Montverde Academy start playing year-round and play in the Development Academy. Shattuck-Saint Marys did and seem to be very successful. IMG Academy has also done this.....

13. miketd1

miketd1 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    I don't disagree with your statement, but I don't think that's why the academy was set up.

For a lot of high school players, a college education is a minimum expectation and a professional soccer career a "nice-to-have".

The academy is a way to pursue both goals at a high level simultaneously.