Carlos Sanchez - news & comments

Discussion in 'Colombia' started by BigSoccer Bot, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Because you added a temporal qualifier to your question and because you spouse the same opinions regardless of facts or counter arguments, I'll just post this vid:

I'm aware that this was a friendly, but it's the only video I've made of Sanchez in some time. Even you can't deny visual evidence. Every single touch he had in the match is there.

Yes, he has a couple errant passes, but every player misses passes in a match. One was a very poor fancy pass when he was under pressure. But he recovered it right back. The second is a long ball trying to catch Cuadrado's run. You can see the same type of play earlier in the match where he lands it perfectly. These are the literally the only types of passes Sanchez messes up in a match. He has begun to abuse the long passes in the past year or so, but the danger created in the one he pulled off is exactly why he does it.

Moreover, when he's been playing next to Barrios recently, Sanchez is resorting to these passes more and more. There's nobody in the central midfield but him. We know he's no Pirlo, but he is not this poor passer you and anybody else is making him out to be.

It took many years for you (and many others) to finally get off Falcao's back for not scoring for the NT. Once the rest of the team was properly set, Falcao began doing for Colombia what he does for club. Sanchez is no different. He bosses opponents from getting any foothold in the midfield in every match he plays. Now that Colombia is not and hasn't been the fine-tuned machine it was from 2012-14, Sanchez is having to take on more responsibility in ball movement than is his forte. Even still, the guy has played better than EVERYBODY else in the central midfield for this entire cycle.

I'm tired of seeing people bash Colombia's most regular players just because they play regularly.

Doogs and Furnaccio repped this.
  2. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    My suggestion is because the present of both players.

Wilmar is beasting and carlos only have played in 3 matches. 2 as starter........he isnt in good form.

In the past Carlos have been benched when others are better than him (valencia wcq 2014, and perez and torres (ecuador-bolivia when he was erased in aston villa)

3. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I understand that.

Barrios has played quite a few times for the NT, even during his great form for Boca. He has been awful for Colombia. Awful, awful, awful.

I don't give a damn how well a player does for his club if it doesn't translate to Colombia.

Doogs repped this.
  4. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    for me he havent been awful.......actually improved in venezuela when sanchez left

if he havent played that good isnt because he forgot to play.....for example he cant play with la roca, they are very similar.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    If we are going with the logic that pepino is promoting here then Uribe should start over Aguilar. He is playing very well for America de Mexico and scored a nice goal this weekend.

Personally though, I think Sanchez is just too important to bench in a game like this. I have said multiple times before he is very physical and won't be beaten in the air on headers which is crucial against a team like Paraguay.

I expect to see Sanchez -Abel but who knows? Pekerman may have one last curve ball that is thrown.

Azucarero and Furnaccio repped this.
  6. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Agree. If we were losing games left and right or were 6th or 7th going into these two games, I wouldn't mind experimenting with the lineup. I think if we beat Paraguay, we may be in a position to make some lineup tweaks

7. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yeah he is an important player........but he is repleaceable.

he have been benched before when he isnt in good form and colombia have got the results.

Colombia have been a winning side also without him .........our best streak of winning in a row in the last 3 years was actually without him as starter

Isnt James

8. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Fine don’t bench Sanchez which is impossible if he starts and calls Abel.

But can we all admit after we beat Paraguay and are qualified. That Sanchez and Abel shouldn’t be starters!!!!

Also people are saying start a player who is actually playing and doing well. Some of you are making it sound like we are saying Call Darwin quintero and start him at goalie :)

9. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #1009 pepinointer, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Incredible but we agree in this point.

In wcq 2014 our best streak of wins was without him as starter

in period 2015-2017 our best streak of wins was without him as satrter.

Yeah he is a good player and can contribute when he is in good level.....actually in the streak of the wc he played all matches

But people is making to see that is imposible and difficult to win without him...when facts showed that he can be repleaceable when he isnt ok and colombia wont die

He isnt james or ospina.

ryu79 repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think we all can agree that Pekerman will experiment and try to figure out what his very best lineup is along with who is the best player at all positions once we Qualify.
    But going into Paraguay I think Sanchez should start.

Azucarero and Furnaccio repped this.
  11. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Think a lot of you guys make a great point. Roca has done our DM position nothing but justice and appreciate that from him. But wouldn't it be nice to finally find a young replacement that can offer the defensive end of things and a bit more. I think Barrios is that solution. He's great defensively and he's good going forward when he has the confidence to do so.

He hasn't played necessarily well but he also hasn't been as awful as people make him out to be. He was decent his last time out and he's probably better suited to be the sole defensive mid. I won't judge the kid with the NT until we see him play in the position that has really brought out the best of his abilities just like we are seeing with Boca. The same thing happened with Boca when Gago got injured and they tried to play him in that position and it didn't work out just like it is with the NT.

Furnaccio, crzdcolombian and pepinointer repped this.
  12. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Sub again against udinese

13. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Don't think anyone is against barrios being the long term replacement for Roca.

Unless barrios becomes beast mode 2017-18 for boca, I see him being like Alex Mejía in the World Cup - defensive sub in 2nd half of games we are leading and potential game 3 starter if we plan to play a B team like we did against Japan

14. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So sanchez can be forever sub in fiorentina like he is in this moment......and he should be the “starter“

15. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    That's the case for James, isn't it?

Nobody else has brought the leadership and physicality Sanchez brings to the midfield. Falcao, James, Zapata, Ospina, and Sanchez. Those are the leaders of the team, and things will remain that way until other players prove they should play above them.

Nobody has.

16. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Sanchez isnt James. His habilities are repleaceables.

Man sanchez have been replaced before when he have been sub in aston villa ...valencia, torres.....and colombia have suceeded

please dont pretend he have the same level of importance of james. isnt true.

Actually James never have been so inactive as sanchez have been in this beginning of season.

17. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not sure i agree... We've had great stretches of play without Carlos. Im up for trying some kids out, and i like Carlos a lot, just understand his limitations (and i may never look at him the same post thiago silva)

pepinointer repped this.
  18. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Those stretches of play came in 2012 with an Edwin Valencia who's no longer of the form he was before (nor anybody else on the squad, for that matter) and a pair of wins against Bolivia and Ecuador--a feat we repeated with Sanchez on the field more recently.

Besides, we've had great stretches without Falcao--in the World Cup of all places. We've even won matches without James. Colombia is not dependent on any sole player/s. That doesn't negate that these are Colombia's key players/leaders.

I want to try kids, too. I've advocated in other threads that Sanchez sits out in the next friendlies in favor of Barrios, Uribe, Cuellar, Lerma...whoever. The change needs to come, and I'd prefer it sooner than later.

Nevertheless, chances have been given out and nobody has made a strong enough case to sit Sanchez down when things are on the line, whatever his club form may be.

19. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    and also matches in copa america centenario ( actually our 3 wins in the tournament)

He have been almost inactive this season and he isnt james.

20. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Obviously. They are two different people. Moreover, no defensive player will ever be of the same importance as a standout offensive player. This is futbol. As I said earlier, Falcao was replaced for a very long time, too. That doesn't negate Falcao's importance.

Sanchez is very important for the physicality Colombia plays with and the overall success of our defense throughout qualification. The man is a leader on the field and to deny that is simply silly. Watch the games. Pekerman sticks with him for a reason.

Your last point is also factually incorrect. Sanchez has accumulated more minutes than James this season.

21. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Eh no: James was injured for a month. Sanchez no.

Sanchez Have only srated two games and have played 4.

Pekerman have been wrong a lot of times....friend i watched the games and for me sanchez is so repleaceable.

Have been erased

22. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Forgot about the Centenario. Good point. Although they were comparatively easier matches.

Again, Zapata has been a non-factor for Milan this season, too. Collectively, he's played a season's worth of matches over 3 seasons. His club form is negligible. Why does Zapata start for Colombia, Pep?

23. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Why, forget the centenario??? is because your point of the ESENTIAL PLAYER lost force???

Stop to pretend that all colombian players have the same situation of sanchez:

Zapata have started 6 plays for milan in the season .

Sanchez only 2 and played 4. and havenr been injured like james this season

Actually zapata for me can be in the bench...i prefer murillo, mina and davinson. No because he is starter is ok.

Sanchez and zapata arent james. For me he can be repleaceable and i watch the games....not all people consider him so important.

I can accept sanchez as starter but he should be playing in his club.

24. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    James has been an unused sub 5 times for Bayern; Sanchez 6 times for Fiorentina. Practically the same. Beyond that, Sanchez played 2x the minutes James did last season.

Yes, Pekerman has been wrong several times. One of those errors has been fielding Barrios, the guy you keep suggesting to replace Sanchez.

Against both Paraguay and Peru, Colombia was completely controlling the field with a win in hand. Barrios subs in and Colombia end up playing entirely on their heels and lets up 3 goals. I watch the games, too, friend.

Sanchez is replaceable, most players are, but NOBODY has shown that they should replace Sanchez now. No one. Torres was fine, he wound up becoming a non-factor for Alaves until recently. Perez was great and then he lost form and got injured thereafter. Celis is meh. Barrios has yet to have single OK match for Colombia.

So, who's it gonna be, Pep? Sanchez plays because he's the best we got until someone proves otherwise.

Hovaaa and danielfrancog repped this.
  25. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #1025 pepinointer, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    1. we are talking about this season......and james and sanchez both played decent amoutn of minutes. but that was LAST SEASON. James was injured for a month this season, that affected the minutes that have played. for me the comparison in unaceptable.

2. Barrios need a proper shot in the position that he play good in boca . In the macthes you said he played with sanchez. isnt a secret that they cant play togehter are very similar. Barrios played good agaisnt camerun and he played in the position where he played in boca. dont understand why so bully to a player that today celebrate his 23 years

3. Perez cant repleace sanchez....he is an 8...you are mixing a lot of situation not considering context, postions, situation.

My point: he cant be starter if he continue so inactive in THIS SEASON, im sure that he can be repleace with barrios or lerma if they are used in their natural positions.

is irrelevant if he plays a lot last season.