Carlos Queiroz DT

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by sidspaceman, Feb 20, 2019.

1. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    to be fair he complained about everyone so eventually he had to be right :p

In that CA2016 semi, our boy Roca earned a red card vs Chile after receiving his 2nd yellow.

Furnaccio, Doogs, Froboy69 and 3 others repped this.
  2. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I started to.complain of sanchez in that copa too....and was since the match against peru....the team strated to attack less with him.....cardona played unconfortable and torres was static....at the end we won 3 matches in that tournament all without sanchez...in 2017 we only won an official match with sanchez on the field (venezuela in barranquilla) ....then other we lost or draw.....that year we won 6 matches...only one with sanchez....and for me isnt coincidential....the attacking players were more unconfortable with him...he didnt carry the ball to them.....people had the impression he was playting good because he appeared a lot of....but we werent so solid in that part.

With barrios we were playing muc better

J-Mezzy repped this.
  3. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He complains about Barrios lol

4. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Just prefer a more attacking DM and want Cuellar and Lerma to get fair shots.

I don’t think barrios is as irreplaceable as many of you think.

Also the whole putting Cuellar and Lerma with barrios

Is the same BS of Barrios sucking because they would put him
    With Carlos sanchez

5. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Barrios is very much irreplaceable crzd, we have no one else who can do what he does at that level.

also, didn't Barrios play as a lone DM against Argentina?

pepinointer, J-Mezzy, Azucarero and 2 others repped this.
  6. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Barrios is probably our second most important player after James

Doogs, Azucarero, Froboy69 and 1 other person repped this.
  7. praxis.en

praxis.en Member

May 13, 2015
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    thankfully when he has not been available we ve had people do a good job

Froboy69 and J-Mezzy repped this.
  8. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You know I just realized how easily I've forgotten about Quintero. I was worried after his injury with his ACL and stuff but it's nice knowing that when he comes back we'll have a even bigger squad.

9. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    When? We have a very small sample size of official matches since he began taking over for Sanchez, and Colombia has not been too impressive in friendlies he didn't start.

Cuellar really didn't have a good match for Colombia until the Paraguay game. He was only Ok against Peru, with Colombia doing much better once he was subbed off for Barrios. Honestly, he was poor in the first half where Peru was actually causing danger.

I like Cuellar's game a lot, but he does not control the center of the pitch to the extent that Barrios does for Colombia. Nobody does. And for whatever reason, Lerma has yet to be fielded in the center of the pitch. And, again until the Paraguay match, he had not been very impressive for Colombia either...

10. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I just wonder how he gets to fit in. I wouldn't really like him on the wing; James does much better there and I'd never field the both of them as wings. Next to Barrios is likely where he'd have to go, but, as we've seen with Cardona so far in this Copa, Quieroz seems to prefer very dynamic/physical guys as the 8s next to Barrios.

Until we see Cardona get a start there--and, really, Cardona can put in some decent defensive work when he needs to--I see Quintero as a sub in this formation. As much as I love Quintero, I really love Quieroz' 433 formation so far.

I'm very curious to see who Quieroz starts scouting to play the 8 role. Uribe and Cuadrado have been vital to the team's play, even though both are individually playing meh. He should look to Atuesta, imho...

11. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  12. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    was going to mention Atuesta, although I think he might struggle at this level

Azucarero repped this.
  13. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    He'll definitely need time. But he has the best characteristics for that role. The kid who Nacional just bought could potentially work, too..

14. CalamityX18

CalamityX18 Member

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Jun 19, 2018
  15. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    you mean that Neyder Moreno guy?

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, the midterm exam makes his grade go down to a C+ in my opinion.

This team looked a bit like Iran last night but not in any of the good ways. Especially late in the second half as others have pointed out in other threads.

It will be interesting to see where he goes from here. We all have opinions of what he should do with the lineup and which older players he should give up on.
    We just have to see how he adjusts the roster going forward now that he has a basic idea of what he is working with.

17. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'd give him a B minus

pepinointer repped this.
  18. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He passed all 3/4 quiz’s
    Passed all the homework
    Didn’t show up for the final

C-
    Only called 23 players to his only 2 friendlies before copa America. You can’t give him a bye for not having more players if he didn’t call more

Losing to Chile is one thing but how late his subs were and how badly we played is alarming. He needed to make a sub in the 1st half. At the latest in 50 minutes. The late subs was why we disliked Rueda in 2006

After how bad Falcao was all copa America he gave him the nod this game. One thing to have the game plan that out Duvan fresh but he gave Duvan no time.

Last game again we played with no MF. Qatar and Argentina were 2 godlike passes from James and a individual moment of brilliance from Roger. Not really team goals

Not giving him a lower grade because he was given the team in March with 2 friendlies before Copa America started and hasn’t called new players

Furnaccio and Azucarero repped this.
  19. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Thinking back about this Chile match, CQ will have to have a clear game plan against teams like Chile that also can play a 4-3-3 but can also distribute and run all game long. We played Chile at their game and I saw some major issues in transition and defending.

Overall, my grade is a B-. While I don't agree with some of the guys he left on the bench, I think he expected more out of some of our marquee players, namely James + Cuadrado + Falcao to really mark the difference in the attacking MF. CQ stated early on that his mission wasn't to completely overhaul this NT but rather build on what Pekerman left. With that, we can't expect for him to have put in a completely fresh 11 on the field. I think now he has plenty of 'data' regarding what he can expect from these players.

Will be interesting to see if he can incorporate Mojica and Fabra. JFQ should be ready once qualifiers set in and along with Cardona that will keep that creative MF alive. I'm excited to see the new younger players come up and contribute in this next WCQ cycle - Borre, Morelos, Cuesta, Sinistierra, Cucho, Cantillo, Campuzano, Villa. I'm sure some other new gem will come up in the next 2 years that we haven't even really thought of.

Azucarero repped this.
  20. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Do you think he didn’t know that the game goes instantly to PKs

Just really weird to take Falcao out of the guy who was going to replace him wasn’t going to take the pk

21. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I did think about this as well but if you look at Colombia's goals throughout the tournament, 3 out of 4 goals came in last of 20' min. I think CQ may have thought we would still have one more push that never came. My surprise was more so that he gave 2 defenders inexperienced in NT defining moments like this to take the PKs. While I know players like Duvan and Diaz have missed important PKs in the past, they are still in theory, players that are trained and built to score. I actually thought for a second Mina was going to try to do one of those little loft penalty shots to show off a bit. Glad he took it well at the end. I'm still bitter about our boys having to go home this way.

22. praxis.en

praxis.en Member

May 13, 2015
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    we are getting two stories from the press and players.

one was that the players that kicked the best pks made the list.
    another was that no one wanted to kick the PKs and Tesillo stepped up

23. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    That 2nd one sounds like made up poop. Doesnt make any sense as we're talking about other players with far more experience than Tesillo somehow taking a backseat to take that 5th shot? What would have happened if he had scored? --CQ would have been the 6th kick because no one 'stepped up'?

Doogs repped this.
  24. praxis.en

praxis.en Member

May 13, 2015
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    that story i believe came from his family members who prob said that to shield him from the trash talk

25. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm interested see how will Carlos Q, will incorporate ours youth's into the squad. I'm all for the strongest team, but I also don't want to run into a generation gap after the golden era and then straight to depression era and back to another golden era