Carlos Gruezo- Stuttgart

Discussion in 'Ecuador - Players Abroad' started by b9d23m89, Mar 29, 2014.

1. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Played his first 20 minutes as a sub last weekend and today he finally played his first 90 minutes vs. Borussia Dortmund, although his team lost 3-2. This is excellent news. I always said last year that there were 2-3 players in the ecuadorian league that are made for top European leagues just by seeing what they displayed on the field. Carlos Gruezo, Gabriel Corozo, and Jonathan Gonzales. Although Stuttgart is in great danger to get relegated next season, it's great to see that at the individual level, Gruezo is breaking into the first team and already getting opportunities to play.

Now that being said, let's not rush it and say "Gruezo should be on the WC roster." We gotta wait and see how things work out for him. This is just one game although I've always said that Gruezo and Corozo have the maturity to be on the senior level NT. The best thing to do would be to try out both of them in the next friendly we have along with a few defenders and see what happens. John Narvaez and Fernando Leon should be the candidates to try out next to Erazo to START next game. This is the only way we'll see how they perform. We can't just blindly call out some of these players for the WC. We have one more game before Rueda puts out the official list, so hopefully his plan is to give opportunities to some of these kids.

The defensive mid section is slacking. Pedro Quinonez isn't in his best form and I think he even got red carded last game. Gaibor is a volante mixto with pretty good marca but right now he's been irregular b/c of injuries. Saritama isn't any better than he was last season in LDU. Alex Bolanos was the best option up til a month ago but he hasn't kept his form and performances consistent. This is a very tough call and it gives Rueda more of a reason to call up Gruezo for the next game although I doubt he will do it simply b/c he won't want to interrupt Gruezo's adaptation process in Stuttgart...especially now that he's starting. Out of Castillo, Noboa, Saritama, Mendez, Alex Bolanos, and Pedro Quinonez only 4-5 will make it. Right now it's Castillo and Noboa obviously, and then most likely Saritama and Mendez got it. There could possibly be one more slot and there should be b/c neither Mendez or Saritama are 5's and we need a real 5 on the bench.

2. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Gruezo is the logical replacement for Castillo as the NT moves forward after the WC. He has a lot of things going for him and it'll be up to him to fully exploit his talent and make a name for himself over in Europe. Whether or not Rueda should call him up is a tricky proposition. He's played a total of 2 games (110 mins) so far with Stuttgart so like you said we have to wait and see what happens in the next couple of weeks. He still has like five games or so left on the season with Stuttgart so maybe he can get into a decent rhythm in the coming weeks. Much like the lack of depth we have at CB, we face a similar problem in CM. After Castillo and Noboa it's slim pickings. Saritama is hardly NT material and Pedro Quinonez is overrated. I wouldn't be surprised if Rueda goes with Minda, he's been one of his favorites in the past. Should Gruezo play well with what's left of the Bundesliga season then he's definitely worth a look. I mentioned this in another post but another player that should get a look is Edison Vega.

3. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Edison Vega is a good player that should have an opportunity for a friendly. But I doubt Rueda calls him up. I think it's set in Ruedas mind that besides Castillo and Noboa he has Mendez, Gaibor, and Saritama even though none of these are real 5's. Besides these guys Rueda
    will consider Pedro Quinonez, Oswaldo Minda and Alex Bolanos over everyone. I think Gruezo is right behind them until he takes full control of his starting spot in Stuttgart. Only then will Gruezo make it straight to the squad and either Saritama, Mendez or Gaibor will get the boot.

Vega might not be anywhere near consideration for Rueda which is a bit unfortunate because these are the type of players to try out in friendlies.

4. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
  5. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    really want to see him play with the national team soon

6. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Saw the match vs Bayern. The Bayern goal was kind of his fault lol. He didn't correctly cover his man. That was his only mistake throughout the match. The rest of the match he was fantastic. His passes are top notch. Doesn't mess up once in his passes and his positioning is great. You can tell his skills are already better than his teammates. Wouldn't be surprised if he made a jump to a bigger club after WC.

7. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I wasn't able to watch this game but I've seen most of Gruezo's games. He's been doing pretty well. Some games better than others. At his worst he's acceptable, but for the most part he's been a key player in the mid when it comes to recovering and initiating a counter. I had no doubt since his first season with BSC that he was made for the big leagues and now everyone is seeing it.

Poor Robben got trucked like some sh*t at 1:05

In a near future we won't have Segundo Castillo anymore and this kid will not only bring that strong defensive aspect that Segundo brings to the NT, but he will also bring more fast pace, better passing, and pressure. This kid can pressure like crazy. He's much more aggressive than Castillo ever was. Hopefully Cevallos Jr. continues developing b/c either him or Gaibor will be right behind Noboa for the spot, unless of course someone else comes into the picture which can always happen.

8. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I have said this time and time again.....Castillo will probably go as the most UNDERRATED player in the history of our NT, ever since 2005 against Venezuela at their home, he has not been benched, he raised the bar for our defensive mid, we all love Edwin Tenorio, Obregon, Marlon Ayovi, but we didnt become one of the best mid fields in the continent till Castillo came in, now at 32 he's gotten slower and doesnt join the attack as much, understandable, Rueda is a very defensive oriented coach.
    I have watched Gruezo ever since he joined BSC, I love this kid, I cant tell you how will he evolve, is he a good a header as Castillo? strong body? can he be an offensive option in corner kicks as Castillo has been? we dont know, however we can see he's faster, a lot faster, and with players such as Enner, Montero, Ibarra leading us towards 2018 speed will be an advantage for us, he'll grow in Germany so he'll be (futbol wise speaking) smarter, This is one of the players that makes me hopeful of the next generation. back in BSC Gruezo showed he had a blast cannon kick, scored a couple of goals catching the ball bouncing out. I hope he doesnt lose that, the outside shot is something we never should have lost.

9. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Dude, I think Obregon is still playing.