Carlos Cordeiro

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Ruben Rivas, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on what you mean by many. Teenagers are sometimes blooded in USL.

I believe that's a negative. Once they play for a professional team they're ineligible for college soccer.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In general, amateurism requirements do not allow:
    • Contracts with professional teams
    • Salary for participating in athletics
    • Prize money above actual and necessary expenses
    • Play with professionals
    • Tryouts, practice or competition with a professional team
    • Benefits from an agent or prospective agent
    • Agreement to be represented by an agent
    • Delayed initial full-time collegiate enrollment to participate in organized sports competition

3. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    That’s debatable.

A 16 years old playing in second division can be a good thing, specially when the team is looking to move up to first division.’

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is in no way overblown or disrespectful to the many people murdered at Putin's behest.

5. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    I’m not a big fan of college soccer, I played it myself, it’s a 3 months season.

Academies for the most part is a rich kids game.

20 years from now we need an stablished pyramid with 4 strong divisions and pro rel

6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but it rarely happens, in England anyway.

7. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    How many 16 year olds are currently playing in second division promotion chasing teams around the world?

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea have 36 players out on loan. The youngest is 20.

9. Philly phan

Philly phan Guest

You keep saying you played college soccer. Did you ever actually get in a varsity game

10. bustos21

bustos21 Member

Aug 13, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If a non MLS USL club were to a produce a teenager and sell this kid to Europe would the USL team get the money or does the USL get the money.?

11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it were a reserve or hybrid the MLS club would get the money.
    If it were an independent team, which includes affiliates, the USL.team would get it.

12. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not exactly sure on the hybrid side. The hybrids can sign their own players, so if one of the players they signed was sold then I would think they would get the fee.

13. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    I was on the team for 2 years, first year was all English players, all English style, set pieces, a D2 top 10 team.

I played 3 “spring” games, I did well, those games were a joke.

The second year, we had 3 French players on the team, one of them Clemen Simonin (Toronto) and Clement Dauchy (MLS combine) Dauchy and I would have been a great combo, too bad injuries got me and I quit my senior year, I was 27 by then, I would have been much better off joining a second division team out of high school and skipping college. College soccer was a huge joke.

14. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Man having all these flashbacks.

I truly wished I have gone to a college team with Latino players, that would have been fun.

I just remember a good friend telling me that Lander was a very strong team, I was friends with coach Taylor so he helped me to do the paper work which it was so stupid, I had a stupid NCAA agent all over me, asking me about my Galaxy trials and my coaches from Los Angeles semipro... so stupid, my Guatemalan coach in Los Angeles wanted to send me to Municipal but I was like “nah, I’m not going back to Central America, it was hard for me to learn English and adapt to the United States.”

First year at Lander was bull crap, we had some assistant coach from Wales who was obssessd with set pieces, I told them that it was not my game.

When Simonin and Dauchy came to Lander my second year, I fell like at home, the Frenchies could ball, some of the zhit Dauchy and I pulled together in practice was like watching my younger brother and I playing together, Simonin was pretty good too, I did a few sombreritos on him, the German dude chasing me around getting so pissed at my foodwork... good days, so many flashbacks.

15. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If you hate English-style soccer, you must have a hard time watching the MLS. These days the style of most MLS teams is more English than the English, who are finally copying the Continentals and stealing their coaches.

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vancouver has a Welsh coach, so whaddya expect? But the top MLS teams don't play in the English manner at all. A passing move is playing the ball out of the back and through the middle. A passing move in The EFL Championship is the back four passing to each other 20 times then hoofing it downfield into the channels, hoping someone gets on the end of it. Vieira and Martino would not tolerate English style play.

18. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    #67 Ruben Rivas, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Going to Lander helped me to learn some of what English people do.

I went to Lander thinking I was going to be Maradona there, going from the strongest Latino League in Los Angeles, playing next to Luis Silva next former Céntral American and Mexican pro players... that was not the case...

There was so much to learn, I didn’t know what pace meant, I didn’t know about first touch or anything about long ball and set pieces.

Coach Taylor told me the first day of practices “you almost made it to the Galaxy, we expected more from you.” At 26, I was never exposed to that level of long balls and set pieces, so I told him “this is a complete different game, a complete different set of skills but I am going to work hard to adapt to it.” Coach answered “you have been in America for how long? You don’t know this style?”

Reality is, I moved to South Carolina with my younger brother and any time we went to a club, we had the coaches adapting to our style, Jorge and I were in the national team radar in El Salvador playing for CD Aguila, in LA bunch of clubs came to us but my step dad didn’t let us play.

My first year at Lander was all about learning for me, I never heard English people talking before so I didn’t even understand what they weren’t saying, we had about 25 English players on the roster...

My second year, coach Taylor fired the Welsh coach, he told me he was bringing good players for my style, he even told me he didn’t like Latinos because we were too flashy and we didn’t stay all 4 years, I told him I wasn’t leaving even though in my mind, I wanted to have a good season so I could go pro somewhere.

Dauchy and Simonin were exactly what coach told me, Dauchy and I had similar futbol IQs, he was a better finisher than me, could dribble a little more, like I said, it was like watching my younger brother and I playing together, Jorge broke his knee at 18 years old in an amateur league in South Carolina.

My knees stared messing up, I had tendinitis in both knees, I was taking 3 iboprofens everyday before practices, I was at the training room everyday of the 3 months season, this was supposed to be my year next the French players but it wasn’t...

At 27 I told coach I was done after the second year, to give my spot to a younger player, it was all pain, I wasn’t even having fun, I was ready to graduate my senior year.

Man if I went to a second division team right after high school who knows, my brother and I could have been great players, we always were, barrio stars, CD Aguila stars...

This is why I want to become a coach and maybe even an agent, to coach kids and help them to play pro, that was my dream.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Injuries and exhaustion is the hardest part of becoming a pro. A lot of kids with great skills and decent technique don't make it because their knees or ankles give up, or someone breaks them for good. I also had to stop after a broken ankle that took forever to heal, but I was a lot younger so in the end my recovery was total. By then I had moved on though.

20. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    That would have been my luck on a European league most likely, in college soccer they don’t really play, they wrestle each other.

I remember my dad telling me, come back to El Salvador, people are much more technical here, you won’t have much problems with injuries.

I feel like wreckless tackling is a huge issue in American soccer, I will like to see what kind of defending they teach at academies here, from what I have seen, we have terrible defenders, any Academy coach in here? I want to see how they teach children to defend, do we teach defending at all or we just let kids kick the ball and push each other?

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teams don't spend money on defenders, because fans don't show up to watch defenders, so defences are made up of old-time college players or second rate foreigners.

Don't blame the academies as they've really just started producing a significant number of players in the last 3 years.

2in10 repped this.
  22. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    It seems like the art of good defending is disappearing.

I grew up with Fernando Hierro, Baressi, Cannavaro, Panucci, Maldini, Nesta,Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Desaily, De Boer...

TOAzer and Suyuntuy repped this.
  23. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    An interesting fact is that Maradona, Pelé and Fat Ronaldo made the senior national team at around 16/17 years old.

At 16 here in the US, for the most part, most American soccer players can’t afford elite competition so they are playing a 4 months high school season, in other words; we are about 30 years behind.

All these 3 players in the US most likely would have end up playing in the same Los Angeles semipro league I used to play for... or maybe just maybe an MLS scout would have had discovered them... never mind, MLS scouts don’t visit tournaments like the Alianza one, only MLS “official” tournaments because they don’t want to waste their time... what a big joke.

Academies isn’t enough, pro /rel needs to be a reality in the next 20 years

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #73 Paul Berry, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    16 y.o.
    Freddy Adu.
    17 y.o.
    Christian Pulisic, Bobby Convey, Tab Ramos, Eddie Gaven.
    18 y.o.
    Jozy Altidore, Curt Onalfo, Landon Donovan, DaMarcus Beasley, Jonathan Spector, Tyler Adams, Michael Bradley and several others.

The school season is 7 months, 3 in the Fall and 4 in Spring.

I'm sure there are plenty of 16/17 year-olds playing in USL, NPSL and PDL. Then there are the 105 home grown players who have signed for MLS teams.

"More than 60 players have signed professional contracts after being discovered at an Alianza showcase, most with teams in Mexico's Liga MX. Last year alone 33 of Alianza's national finalists fielded a combined 116 invitations from 14 Liga MX teams.

And more than 25 players have been recruited for age-group national teams in the U.S., Mexico, Guatemala and El Salvador, making Alianza one of the largest and most successful soccer scouting programs in the region."

You know what teams do when they get promoted? Ditch most of the squad that got them promoted and bring in superior players.

Serie A, for instance, was around 80 years old when Maldini came through. MLS is 22 years old.

25. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    In what states are high school seasons longer than 4 months?

There was an article actually quoting an MLS rep saying they didn’t go to the Alianza tournaments because it wasn’t “official.” What a joke.

Pro rel will only make our player pool bigger and better, you cannot deny the fact that a 16 years old will be much better off making money in second division rather than paying money to play...

Italian soccer is bad at the moment, not only they don’t have good defenders, they don’t have good attackers either.

26. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a 3 month season in the Fall, and a 4 month season in the Spring. That make 7 months according to my fuzzy arithmetic.

'Organizers say the best players in each of the three age groups will be flown to Miami next month for a three-day tryout in front of representatives from more than 30 teams in Major League Soccer, Liga MX, the Mexican soccer federations and several college programs' - LA Times

So the US would be an exception to what's happening in the rest of the world, where the premier academies suck up youngsters from all over the world. Lower division clubs tend to get players who failed to make the breakthrough in top-flight academies.

- Andrew Carleton is an example of a 16 year-old making money in the second division. Anyway, I don't see what that has to do with pro/rel.
    - With the odd exception pay to play is irrelevant to professional soccer. It's about college prep. There are 22 free to play MLS academies producing dozens of home grown players.

They don't have billions coming in from big TV contracts. It's a downward spiral.