News: Carlos Bocanegra signs with Rennes

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by walkingcity, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The point is that crowning a Big Three is exactly as pointless as Big Four.

2. Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji Member

Nov 20, 2007
    The Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But there is a definitive Big Three (Spain, Italy, England), while that is not the case with a Big Four. So its not pointless at all.

3. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Nah. England, Spain, and Italy are clearly the best three leagues in the world. After them, there's a sizable gap before you get to Germany, France, and Argentina, whose leagues are all pretty close. We can use a "big three" with no problem.

4. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is more about what team you are going to than what league. France is not in this Big Three of yours, but it would be much more of a positive benchmark for me if we had a guy going to Lyon or even Bordeaux than sending a guy to the Sampdoria reserves or EPL teams that are perennially threatened with relegation. Holland is very much not in the Big Three, but I would love to have us consistently sending guys through their academy system, much more so than going to England, except maybe for the academies at West Ham and Man City. That is my point.

5. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    What about Holland? I think if it were up to me, the Bundesliga would be the next one in line...but there is definately a "Big 3" with the leagues from Spain, England and Italy.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Current league rankings using UEFA coefficients:

England

Spain

Italy

France

Germany

Russia

Romania

Portugal

Netherlands

Scotland

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Holland has slipped. The big movers are the Russians and Romanians powered though financing enabled by I'm guessing the commodities boom.

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    But yeah England, Italy, and Spain get 4 slots apiece for the CL. This would make them 'Big 3'.

Don't know what criteria one would use for a Big 4

9. Tkebh979

Tkebh979 New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Houston-ish
    I wonder how much Ligue 1 is supported by OL and OM. Other than that, honestly, the league is pretty much shit. Been over here the majority of the season and don't remember being less impressed with the quality on the field and more astonished at the gap between the good and bad. It just takes one PSG match to catch that drift... :eek:

However, Rennes is regarded as an above average squad by some of my more soccer-inclined (French) buddies... and it is certainly a step away from relegation for Boca. Good for him - he could use the PT if nothing else.

10. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    It's a paycheck. Not like people were fighting over him. Wonder if they'd like Wolff too?